Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been broached before but got a little confused when I went to fill up today.
I have been using the new E10 fuel in my 0.9 capture for a while now and ever since my mpg had dropped plus the performance is certainly not as good.
I read on the forum that it was ok to put super unleaded in my vehicle, which although more expensive is probably a much better choice. So I arrived at an Esso garage today with the intention of filling up with the Super unleaded. However I noted that the octane rating of their fuel is 99, whereas the flap on my captur indicates 95 or 98. Hence I was a little worried that this extra rating might do some damage. Not wanting to take the risk I used the E10. So, excuse my ignorance, but is it ok to use this 99 octane fuel or should I look round for a garage that sells 98?
Sorry for such a long post!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Putting a higher octane in won't hurt. It's just unnecessary additional expense. I have read that some drivers are noticing a drop in mpg with E10 due to the extra ethanol. Or maybe it was a bad batch. I don't know what the price difference is there but it might be worth sticking with E10 for a while. The higher cost of 99 might outweigh the extra mpg.

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
The car's octane requirement is a minimum, so if it says 95 octane you can use 96,99, 101. What you mustn't do is use, say, 93 or 94 if you could fiund such a fuel.
With the introduction of E10 "standard" or "premium" petrol at 95 octane, many have decided to pay the extra and use 97, 99 or whatever octane E5 "super" fuel

·
Registered
2020 E:TECH Hybrid
227 Posts
Also worth bearing in mind especially if you have a hybrid is that the E10 breaks down in the fuel tank faster than E5. Very important if you are running on electric power most of the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their input and advice, which I found very useful.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Gee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts