Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, think I might have another issue with my car.....

Went out today in the car in bright sunlight; stopped under Tinsley viaduct at the lights and the headlights came on - fair enough, it had gotten dark... However, when I moved off back into daylight, the lights didn't turn off. It was bright enough for me to be wearing sunglasses so they should have gone off really.

When I turned the car off and back on again, the lights were off...

Have I got a fault or are they auto on only and once they're on they stay on...???Edited by: thecookster

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had the identical 'problem' with my TCE90 Dynamique (2 weeks old)However, a similar thing happened with my previous Renault, a 2004 Scenic.
It seems to occur in a specific lighting condition when the sun is low - evening, or winter. On both cars the lights came on and wouldn't go off without a re-boot(!).
At the moment it's behaving itself with the headlights coming on if I drive through a "tunnel" of trees and going off when I come out the end.
My dealer reckoned it was also affected by the angles of the sun on the sensor.

Edited by: kitbooth

·
Registered
116 Posts
Must admit, hadn't noticed it but then it has mostly been dark when I've been using it, - will check that out at the weekend

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ive noticed that mine stay on sometimes after activating under a bridge or going through a tunnel. They generally switch back off eventually or linger in rainy or poorer lighting conditions. Don't really see it as a problem (to me anyway)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have not had it happen yet with Captur but it did happen occasionally with Juke and CR-V. It just seem to catch the sun at an angle where the lights sensor was darkened for a time, it was not a problem or a fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's always a delay in activating and deactivating auto lights on all cars for safety reasons. Of they reacted instantly to changes in light you could end up flashing another driver and them pulling out on you. Seem to remember this being on watchdog with Saab when they first introduced them as the responded quickly and nearly caused accidents.

Also, they are not an exact science, but they do work on light readings. Glare from the clouds, other vehicles, reflections etc may appear bright to us and cause us to wear sunglasses, but the sensor is monitoring lux readings from a different angle to our eyesight. It may be that the lux levels (used to measure light intensity) may not be bright to trigger the sensor, however the reflected and refracted light hits our eyes at a different level causing us to believe the sensor is misbehaving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts