Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We have a Captur media nav 1.5 dci with dsg, late 2015 model. on Friday it came up with an engine fault light and a message stating ignition circuit. Whilst I suspected it was DPF related, i didn't believe it was an issue with dpf clogging etc as the car does 100 mile round trip on the motorway 5 days a week....so there should be no clogging....I read the code - P1453 which after some digging I found to be related to a perished rubber pipe that connects to the Exhaust gas pressure sensor. I acquired both pipes that run to the sensor from Renault for the extortionate sum of 45 notes....now I have the pipes, I can't see how to fit them.....I've taken the battery out and stripped the airbox and air pipe out...this let's me get my hand in, and i can confirm the black pipe is in 2 pieces, and getting my phone in i can see some small degradation on the outside of the green pipe, but not too bad. but want to change both as I have them.......Can anyone explain how to access these pipes sufficiently to change them....do i need to get the car up on stands and go in from underneath? or any other suggestions......thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So....no answers from the wider world, but for anyone’s interest, I have solved the problem and if you have the diesel 1.5 and you keep the car long enough, do enough miles, this will happen to you as well, these pipes are perishable..... so they are at the back of the engine, and they connect to the exhaust gas dpf pressure sensor. To access, battery out, air intake pipe to air box off, air box out, air pipe to engine air intake off, windscreen wipers off, plastic scuttle trim off, scuttle sides off, central scuttle off, then using a tor’s bit, remove the pressure sensor. As both my pipes were worn through, this enabled the sensor to be removed to fit the new pipes, then remove the broken bits off the outlet hoses, refit hoses and move clamps to grip. Tools needed, standard 3/4 socket set plus extension bars and 1/4 set. Screwdrivers, plus torx. Windscreen wiper puller and a set of side pull hose clamp pliers and a lot of patience.......on the positive side, dismantling the scuttle alerted me to the fact that my drain hole on the drivers side suspension turret was blocked and sat in an inch of water..... so if you have to do this job, it’s worth clearing....I fashioned a tool from a wire coat hanger to do this as it was impossible to get your hand in unless you want to take the wiper mechanism apart........once you have it all back together, you’ll need a odb2 tool that can delete engine codes, mine is a basic engine only one from machine mart and it did the job...oh, and get your radio code out the handbook and tap into the media unit to bring back to life

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update on this post, my OH reports her fuel consumption is massively improved since this repair, in the region of 20% extra ( and she does about 90 miles a day). So, if you are investigating higher than expected fuel consumption, the soundness of these 2 pipes is worth investigating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I am new to the club and just want to congratulate and thank James for his post, just had the same problem on the wife's Captur media nav dci, WHAT A BUM OF A JOB, but made considerably better by your write up, the only difference being I used 6mm bore high temp silicon hose at a cost of about £1.50 and used small jubilee clips where the new flexible's slide over the steel pipes, just found that a 1/4 drive extension with a 7mm socket a lot less hassle to tighten than get down the back of the engine with spring clip pliers. Will have to wait and see if this has any impact on fuel economy bot it most certainly seems to run considerably better, thanks again for the info supplied, just popped a picture on to show everyone what the link pipes shouldn't look like

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I had the same issue with my Megane 1.5dci & can only agree with Rodgerdodger it is a bum of a job, everything is dismantled & ready for new pipes to be fitted once the jubilee clips arrive - I may need some help on how some things go back together but thank you to James for his guide on how to take the pipes off - only issue I had was that both of my pipes had their clamps facing the wrong way which made it nearly impossible to get them off!

·
Registered
K9K
2 Posts
Hi I am new to the club and just want to congratulate and thank James for his post, just had the same problem on the wife's Captur media nav dci, WHAT A BUM OF A JOB, but made considerably better by your write up, the only difference being I used 6mm bore high temp silicon hose at a cost of about £1.50 and used small jubilee clips where the new flexible's slide over the steel pipes, just found that a 1/4 drive extension with a 7mm socket a lot less hassle to tighten than get down the back of the engine with spring clip pliers. Will have to wait and see if this has any impact on fuel economy bot it most certainly seems to run considerably better, thanks again for the info supplied, just popped a picture on to show everyone what the link pipes shouldn't look like
Guys,
Sorry to revive an old post.

I have the same issue with the K9K engine but it's a mare trying to find suitable pipes to do the job.
Where did we get our replacement pipe?
Is there a part number?
Does the high temp high pressure hose need to be compatible with a certain temperature range for regeneration purposes?
Any links to adequate replacement hose would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Guys,
Sorry to revive an old post.

I have the same issue with the K9K engine but it's a mare trying to find suitable pipes to do the job.
Where did we get our replacement pipe?
Is there a part number?
Does the high temp high pressure hose need to be compatible with a certain temperature range for regeneration purposes?
Any links to adequate replacement hose would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
This is the one I used and it is suitable for high temp (200 deg C) but you will need to buy some jubilee clips as the old ones don’t fit it!

·
Registered
K9K
2 Posts
Cheers Tim,
That's much appreciated.
I'd been looking for a higher temp but if that's still good on your car, I'll give it a bash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello , i think our Captur may have this same fault its done 58,000 miles ive changed the glow plugs but P1453 has shown after connecting a code reader it isnt permenantly on it can take a few weeks to show but fuel consumption has gone down recently, ill have to try and have a look but its sounds a difficult job to do. If those pipes were split would this fault be constant in the ecu or intermittent? As the fault i have is intermittent, ive also used DPF cleaner at increased revs which had no smoke or smells.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello , i think our Captur may have this same fault its done 58,000 miles ive changed the glow plugs but P1453 has shown after connecting a code reader it isnt permenantly on it can take a few weeks to show but fuel consumption has gone down recently, ill have to try and have a look but its sounds a difficult job to do. If those pipes were split would this fault be constant in the ecu or intermittent? As the fault i have is intermittent, ive also used DPF cleaner at increased revs which had no smoke or smells.
On our Qashqai with the same engine the fault was intermittent but gradually got worse.
I was able purchase the small flexi pipes that link the dpf to the exhaust gas pressure sensor on their own for £30 (recently) at the main dealer.
One of these had split and threw up warning lights intermittently.
Finally had to do something when the fault wouldn't go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On our Qashqai with the same engine the fault was intermittent but gradually got worse.
I was able purchase the small flexi pipes that link the dpf to the exhaust gas pressure sensor on their own for £30 (recently) at the main dealer.
One of these had split and threw up warning lights intermittently.
Finally had to do something when the fault wouldn't go.
Thanks for the reply Dave, it does look like like its the same issue i have, i will try and find these pipes that are linked to the dpf exhaust pressure sensor doesnt look any easy job though. Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heres an update, ive had our captur at a garage today, hes a decent fella, hes been all over the car took the plastic sump guard off the bottom and managed to get a look at the tubes he asked me to rev the engine and couldn't see any fumes coming out of the tubes, so its looking like the pressure sensors faulty, were going to change both, apparantly there a boost pressure sensor as well, and change the glow plugs as well then do a dpf regeneration, he said if theres a fault on the sensor or the glow plugs are faulty then it wont allow a regen, he also connected his snap-on-tools diagnostics console to the car which confirmed the pressure sensor was faulty. Hopefully this will eradicate these intermittent faults. I refuse to pay £150 at my local renault dealer just to connect it to a diagnostics machine, then pay additional large amounts of money to have the work carried out, its daylight robbery, jack has charged me £20 for the work he did today and hes good so im sticking with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts