Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up up my wife's new Captur, she loves it although I am having a few issues.

We had front and rear parking sensors fitted and a little disappointing they were not both factory fitted (and look after market as well!), seems the front ones are intermittent and it needs to go back to sort it out. There is also the problem that the rear ones don't seem to cover the rear quarters due to their placement (all on the flat bumper facing directly backwards).

Could one of you kind members post a picture of where the actual rear are or should be, as I think my dealership may not be as helpful as these ones were factory fitted, I have found only one grainy picture of the rear which has them above the fog/reversing light (which I think is right as its at a slight angle to the rear quarter) - mine all point straight backwards and are at least 2 inches away from the lights which seems wrong.

More importantly I can walk up to the corner of the bumper without them going off - and therefore believe I could drive into a post as easily!!)!!

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, seems they are in the right place, although I just did a test and I can reverse into a post (I didnt) on the rear quarters without the sensors giving any indication so the rear positions seem wrong by design!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just measured

front are 220mm and 655mm from center line
the rear are 200mm and 600mm from the center line

That seems a lot of discrepancy from the Renault fitting manual?? Does the grey boxes on the picture mean its ok anywhere within the box, if so its probably within limits and those limits are wrong!

·
Registered
209 Posts
We had our sensors after-fitted as well but don't think they look too bad. Then again with the car being in black maybe the contrast isn't so great. Haven't done any measuring but did just pop out with the torch to check where they are located on the back bumper and the outer ones are indeed located above the fog/reversing lamps where the bumper is starting to angle towards the side so they are not (quite) projecting straight back but slightly at an angle.

Why do you think your forward sensors are only working intermittently? They are supposed to come on at speeds below 8mph and go off again when speeding up. There is also an override switch for the front sensors located under the centre console as per the manual in the above link (but not where the manual for the car says it should be......)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having just checked again I noticed an anomaly on the rear sensors against the diagrams shown above. In the diagrams above the sensors are all located at the same height across the back bumper. However in our car the two inner sensors are located lower down by about 50mm in the grey plastic under tray ie the two outer sensors are in the black painted part of the bumper, the two inner sensors are in the grey lower part of the bumper.

Bizarre! ....but they do work

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
No wonder the parking sensors are so expensive !!! Fitted retrospectively and you have to remove the bumpers to drill the holes - this shouldn't be done at the importcentre but at the factory where bumpers could be supplied pre-drilled and it would take just a few seconds to add the other stuff like the wiring and buzzers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the front ones work, but the left hand side doesnt and when driving, at any speed, sometimes it goes off. As for the rear, they were meant to be factory fitted so I thought they would get it right, the front ones are probably a loose connection or a faulty sensor.

Thanks for all the help, will go to the dealer tomorrow and show them the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You should definitely get the dealer to verify that they've been wired in correctly. My front sensors weren't, and that caused all sorts of weird behaviour...

Tony

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ta, will get there tomorrow, have printed off and checked the fitting locations from the Renault manual from the links and both the front and back are not in the correct places - they are over 50mm out, unacceptable for a brand new car, from a main dealer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been in touch with the dealership and they have spoken to the company who fitted both the front and rear parking sensors (I thought they would be factory fitted however they state that only with the Dynamique S model comes with factory fitted sensors!).

The company state they fit them in accordance with the manufacturer specs of the sensors which is different from the Renault positions - anyone have an opinion on this?? In my view they should be fitted in the same place as Renault shows to ensure coverage?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Perusal said:
Having just checked again I noticed an anomaly on the rear sensors against the diagrams shown above. In the diagrams above the sensors are all located at the same height across the back bumper. However in our car the two inner sensors are located lower down by about 50mm in the grey plastic under tray ie the two outer sensors are in the black painted part of the bumper, the two inner sensors are in the grey lower part of the bumper.

Bizarre! ....but they do work
I got dealer to fit rear sensors and they in same position as yours.

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
TBirdUK said:
The company state they fit them in accordance with the manufacturer specs of the sensors which is different from the Renault positions - anyone have an opinion on this?? In my view they should be fitted in the same place as Renault shows to ensure coverage?

They should have bought the pack from Renault as an approved accessory, and fitted it in accordance with the instructions from Renault.

Are the front sensors in the black part of the bumper or do they stick out like a sore thumb(any chance of some photos?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill get some photos up tomorrow, the front ones are in the orange bodywork and look ok, its the position of the rear ones thats the most concern, if you reverse anything other than straight back I am sure they dont give the coverage to stop you hitting something, because they dont have that slight angle outwards that the Renault position would give them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tyrfelin said:
Surely they should look identical to the factory fitted ones??????
As far as the front sensors are concerned I don't think there is factory fit option. They are all fitted as aftermarket options.

Took a closer look at the sensors front and rear on our car the other day and must admit that on our car at least they look absolutely fine. No way could you tell they weren't factory fitted. Maybe we were lucky and got one of the more experienced fitters.....
Edited by: Perusal

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The front sensors are after market additions and are NOT colour coded to your bodywork...it will need to be done later as they are grey or black! They are fitted in the correct place.... but after 6 months I have discovered the button that switches them on and off....thanks to someone on tbe forum!
The rear sensors aren't bad but do have a little blind spot to the side...I thanfully also have the rear camera that eliminates that!!!
The central sensors are drilled, in my case, after the undertray was fitted and have to be in the right place!!!
Judgement is still needed folks!!!!!!....that's wby you need to pass a driving test!!!!!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, always use judgement.

The front sensors are body colored, they just sometimes screech when driving normally so I have to switch them off, the dealer is going to replace them and hopefully fit a add on that only activates them below a certain speed.

The rear ones are fitted level along the back but not in the positions recommended by Renault, the fitter has offered to replace them with different ones with a wider arc but I am annoyed as I was led to believe these were factory fitted at the rear.

For the money I paid for the sensors I could have got better ones with a visual aid if I wanted all after market ones, I was ok with paying premium for factory fitted rears as I prefer factory fitted accessories as these would have been tested and guaranteed by Renault, these ones if they were in the correct positions would probably be fine but combining wrong locations and after market is annoying on a brand new car from a Renault main dealer. Not what I was led to believe I was getting when buying the car new, to order. Why would Renault provide front and rear fitting instructions and then a fitter not follow them, surely Renault know the best positions for sensors?

The rest of the car is really very nice and I am (the wife is) very happy!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts