Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have a captur in mind to buy but I have lots of panic about which engine to go for. At the moment I drive a hyundai i30 diesel and I have been doing about 31000 miles over 3 years. The type of driving I do is shop to shop on certain days and other days miles and miles on motorway.
I do not like an engine that will struggle in certain situations, has anyone got any advice on which engine to choose, I will be very glad of any information.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Personal thing, but nowadays, I only ever consider a very efficient diesel engine. I'm currently getting 64 MPG and what with the cost of fuel, it' a no brainer.
Fuel price rises have not been so bad lately, but you don't know whats round the corner. If prices should go through the roof again, then I will be glad that I chose diesel.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My petrol 120 turbo automatic, is a dream to drive. To take up your points. An automatic around town is great, smooth gear changes even when creeping along in traffic. responsive on motorways, and the turbo is a real boon if you wish to put on a sudden spurt. No struggling with a 120 engine. It has the power of a 1.6l. I have done 40.5MPG over the last 1500 miles. The car has done 3000 in the last six months, so my mileage is low and does not warrant a diesel. The engine is quite and cruises at 2500 RPM at motorway speeds, thanks to the sixth gear one gets on automatic Capturs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep I agree with awq diesel is the way to go but as he said its a personal thing I have on order a Dynamique S Medianav dci only thing is wish I had gone for the R-link, and forgot to say welcome

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am with awq...having had diesel meganes 1.5dci for last 10 years...
As regards petrol or diesel...(I may get shot down here) it would also depend if you are financing the car ,as the diesel is around £1500 more...or on the motability scheme which is NIL for diesel medianav dci or 95 for the medianav S dci...these are manual prices..from AC website

Welcome to the forum...loads and loads of useful info on here..
Edited by: helart

·
Registered
45 Posts
My previous car was also a Hyundai i30 diesel 113bhp. I was always going to replace it with another diesel car. I was a bit concerned with the lower bhp engine in the Captur but my fears were unfounded. The renault diesel engine is a little beauty with ample performance and torque. My usage is mainly rural and town use with some occasional long motorway journeys. And after 3500 miles I am averaging 61mpg!What more can you want. I think the Captur is the best car I have owned and I have owned a lot over 50 years of driving!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome Daz! The diesel is very fuel efficient and I'm sure it's a good car, Tyrfelin swears blind by it...but then again he thought he paid more for it than the petrol...but I'm a petrolhead and have the very top notch petrol version with R link etc...so it wasn't any cheaper!
Apart from more expensive engines in the like of Range Rovers, Audi or Mercedes, I don't believe that the diesel can match the refinement of the petrol unit.
I wanted an economical car with a little grunt, and the 120 auto that I decided on has that...
I agree with Crossbow...it's simply a great car for all road conditions! It has a beautifully mated automatic transmiasion to the 120 unit and returns very good consumption...No noise in the cabin!
Beware that there are a few reports on here lately that there 'may be' a vibration problem on some of the 0.9 three cylinder manual models. Others are happy...
I'm tempting fate here....but I haven't heard one 120 auto owner say one bad word about this version...
I have had six and a half months of trouble free motoring and come away from it every time with a smile on my face.
Remember to find the extra cash for R link...it's worth every penny!!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone had problems with the Diesel Particle Filter in the Diesel Captur ? I used to have 1.2 tce Clio and I had to strangle it on the motorway, it used to be very uneconomical around town and motorway.

Edited by: Daz3467

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No such problems...see thread on this in the forum...also cinfirmed by dealer selling the diesel Captur...so you can rest easy in that respect should you prefer a diesel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The only way to make the decision is to do the economics. I have driven diesels for years but because of my wife's comparatively low mileage we opt for petrol for her cars.

You need to factor in the extra cost of the diesel car to buy, about £1500 and then work our what you will get back second hand vs a petrol model. It won't be £1500 but probably more like £600 after 3 years. So an extra £900 as regards the cost of the car. Factor in the superior economy of the diesel against the cheaper cost of petrol. Given the shortage of refining capacity for diesel in Europe the price differential is unlikely to fall much and may even increase. Let's just suppose the petrol does 38mpg and the diesel 55mpg on average. Assume petrol at £1.27 and diesel at £1.33.then I reckon the petrol will cost about £1300 more to run. This gives a net cost of £400 in favour of the diesel. But then you have to understand whether the diesel costs more to insure and how much extra that £1500 new car premium costs you in terms of finance etc.£60 extra for road tax for the petrol.
I reckon it will be very close overall in your case so perhaps just a case of driving them both and seeing which you prefer.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
In years gone by, a diesel was considered better for short journeys and repeated stop-start driving; petrol engines run richer when cold, so use more fuel and also suffer greater engine wear as a result. In general terms once a diesel has started, it doesn't need to run any richer when cold than when warmed up.

However, changes to the law and the introduction of diesel particulate filters (DPF) have almost swung things round again. There seem to be a few types of DPF systems and many rely upon a trip of 20 to 30 minutes at continual high-ish engine speed when the engine has warmed up to regenerate the filter (typically you need to do a motorway journey once every week or two to achieve this). I have read somewhere that Renault's system is one of the better ones and is not so reliant on a long drive with a warm engine in order to work properly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I've made the right choice by going diesel again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed, you have to work it through.

Here in Salisbury petrol is 127.9 / litre and diesel 134.9. My 0.9 TCe gets 50 to 52 mpg easily even though it does a lot of short trips. It's probably 5 or 6 mpg better than when it was new. Diesel users seem to get 60 to 62 mpg but diesels are about £1400 more expensive - though you will see some of that back when you sell.

Frankly, there is diddly squat difference in terms of pence per mile.

For me the petrol is infinitely nicer, quieter and smoother than the diesel and that swung it. But I have never driven a diesel I have really rated even though I've probably driven them for a quarter of a million miles over the years through a mixture of economics, fleet policy and dozens of hire and loan cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I test drove a used diesel and a used petrol model yesterday. I got the slight impression the petrol version was underpowered when going up the same hill compared to the diesel? Has anyone here done a back to back comparison?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts