Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So my mum has recently bought a 19 plate capture - the top of the range spec, but smaller engine 5 gear (0.9??) model. She didnt test drive that particular spec, but the lower spec model which she really liked.

Anyway apart from the slight lack of power (which wont affect her) she is getting really bad lower back pain driving the car, so much so that she can only do a max 15 min journey or she has to lie on the floor afterwards in pain!

I have bought a few of the pillows from amazon which relieves it a bit - but it isnt resolving it. We have also spoken to the dealership who have basically said, 'not our problem, you cant change the seats and if you put after market ones in, it will affect the car'.

Has anyone else either had or know of this problem before. I believe it is because the seats are very hard, which is causing this. Is there a solution? Any particular pillow or support?

It is so bad that she has now approached the dealership about selling the car back - and asked me to look into it! Its 2 weeks old!

Can anyone help??!! We are desperate!

On a separate note once you buy a car and the contract is signed. Unless there is an issue with it, there is no come back is there?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mother's discomfort. Consensus is that the Captur is quite a comfortable car. My dci90 certainly is. Could you try another Captur seat at the dealers to compare?

·
Registered
769 Posts
We find the car comfortable ,my wife has just had a hip op.

Have you tried a combination of using the right hand lower lever and the left seat knob to adjust it

The seat covers unzip which may allow you to add a small piece of foam to the seat back

·
Registered
13 Posts
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/orthopaedic-aids/back-supports/coccyx-cushion-view-large?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi82NweX94wIVTLDtCh0aMAxZEAQYAiABEgLON_D_BwE

Try these i got one in Panda and i may get one for the Captur, the only other item is the lumber suppoert/roll that office staff use .

The only way i can explain my situation is when we had a Xsara Picasso the seat was level ,so your knees were level with your backside but in my Panda and the Captur the base of the seat angles slighlty so your knees are a bit higher than your bum !!!!!
which cause me discomfort if i drive more than 15 miles in one journey

hope this helps

Cheers Tony

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
Seems very odd that the seat in the car she test drove was OK but her own car is not. Maybe the demo car had a well-worn seat and hers will get more comfortable over time? I'd suggest looking to see if you can find some memory foam to pad the seat out with. I presume that you have checked to see if there is adjustable lumbar support on her seat, and have varied it to see if it helps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear of your mother's discomfort. Consensus is that the Captur is quite a comfortable car. My dci90 certainly is. Could you try another Captur seat at the dealers to compare?
Hi there, sorry for being a bit vague, she did actually try another spec car and that was fine. Basically she tried the larger engine Captur, but the lower spec where I believe the seats were different ie not the racing seats. She decided against that size engine because she didn't like the method of putting the car in reverse - so she went for the 5 speed 0.9 where you can just move it over without the catch.

She did drive the 0.9 but again the lower spec one with different seats which was fine (apparently). So I'm pretty sure if she tried another captur at the dealers, it would be fine - but the problem is the dealership aren't keen on swapping! :)

Not sure if it is possible to chop the seats out, or put some sort of padding on them etc..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We find the car comfortable ,my wife has just had a hip op.

Have you tried a combination of using the right hand lower lever and the left seat knob to adjust it

The seat covers unzip which may allow you to add a small piece of foam to the seat back
See I found it stuck out into my back a bit so I wonder if its a faulty seat - I definitely wouldn't describe it as comfy.. but then I drive a big Discovery so the seating position is very different and mine is like sitting on a sofa!

We have tried all the adjustments - but the one that could make the difference is the Lumbar which just isn't there. There is no way of adjusting it I don't think unfortunately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/orthopaedic-aids/back-supports/coccyx-cushion-view-large?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi82NweX94wIVTLDtCh0aMAxZEAQYAiABEgLON_D_BwE

Try these i got one in Panda and i may get one for the Captur, the only other item is the lumber suppoert/roll that office staff use .

The only way i can explain my situation is when we had a Xsara Picasso the seat was level ,so your knees were level with your backside but in my Panda and the Captur the base of the seat angles slighlty so your knees are a bit higher than your bum !!!!!
which cause me discomfort if i drive more than 15 miles in one journey

hope this helps

Cheers Tony
Hi Tony, it sounds very similar. Basically what she says is that the bottom of the back part of the seat is sticking into her back. On some cars there is a Lumbar support thing that you can adjust but there doesn't seem to be one on the Captur - or just not on this spec.

I did get here a seat support which made it a bit better but didn't resolve it, and she bought a bum pad that again helped - but not enough. Will try the Cocyx support thing - just ordered one.

I think the base of the seat in the Captur is a bit short too - so it doesn't go all the way into the knees. Like you say the ride height seems to tip you into the back bit where the pain is. Maybe the pad and tip the seat forward a bit..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems very odd that the seat in the car she test drove was OK but her own car is not. Maybe the demo car had a well-worn seat and hers will get more comfortable over time? I'd suggest looking to see if you can find some memory foam to pad the seat out with. I presume that you have checked to see if there is adjustable lumbar support on her seat, and have varied it to see if it helps?
Hi there, basically it was a different spec car. She was obsessing over engine size and they didn't have the .9 version in the spec she wanted to try, just the range 1 step down with a different interior (I believe). So she drove that, liked it, then ordered it in the better spec. So she never even sat in the range she proceeded to order :-(

Its a tricky one, hard to describe, but we almost need to take away padding not add it - although saying that the seat cushions and supports she has tried have made things a bit better for her.

Its just a bit of a nightmare!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I suffer with Spinal Stenosis,making everyday life extremely painful. After much trial and error with the height,distance from dash and angle of seat back I have to say I find my Captur drivers seat a wonderfully comfortable place to be. Three and four hour drives are a pain free doddle.
Have a play with the adjustment,you may be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suffer with Spinal Stenosis,making everyday life extremely painful. After much trial and error with the height,distance from dash and angle of seat back I have to say I find my Captur drivers seat a wonderfully comfortable place to be. Three and four hour drives are a pain free doddle.
Have a play with the adjustment,you may be pleasantly surprised.
That is very kind of you to say - I appreciate it and will pass it on. Can I ask if you have the lumbar adjustment on your seat, or not like ours? Also can I be really cheeky and ask some advice - how would you set the seat up? would you have an upright back, or tip the seat so it is almost angling towards the steering wheel?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
To start with I found the seat really uncomfortable,it seemed the base was far too short and sloping forwards.I felt I was constantly slipping towards the front of it making me tense up and brace my left leg causing discomfort. I had assumed(wrongly)that it was set on its lowest setting from the factory. It was in fact on its highest so I began by dropping it down to its lowest,put the back upright,moved the seat back as far as it would go and started from there. Height is now one and a half pulls on the lever up,steering wheel extended about half distance,seat forward enough that my knee is still slightly bent at full clutch depression and back tilted slightly rearwards so my arms are never straight when holding the wheel. There is no lumbar support adjustment,as I said in an earlier post it is all trial and error to get it right. It depends also on the drivers height and arm and leg length so it's no good using my settings but best to start from scratch,lower seat etc.
Only down side with my seat is that it lowers itself from my preferred setting to the lowest over the course of a week to ten days depending on time spent in it and needs "pumping up" again with monotonous regularity. Renault Customer Services are aware of the problem but the dealer looked at the mechanics and said it was not broken and would need the car for three days for "diagnostics". Quite what that means I have no idea,are they going to drive the car around for three days?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts