Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 plate 0.9 signature and finding the fuel consumption is really poor. Anyone found this. I am averaging circa 38 mpg depending on driving. Feels like a gas guzzler. It does not matter if I put E5 or 10 makes no difference.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
What type of driving are you doing, town, motorway, mixed? The 0.9 engine is somewhat underpowered for the Captur and has to work hard.... 38mpg does not sound too bad to me

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 18 plate 0.9 signature and finding the fuel consumption is really poor. Anyone found this. I am averaging circa 38 mpg depending on driving. Feels like a gas guzzler. It does not matter if I put E5 or 10 makes no difference.
We have a 1.2 and urban driving returns about 35mpg. It improves markedly with longer runs but is disappointing around town

·
Registered
23 Posts
35/38 isnt too bad for around town and mixed to test it as the trip computers are quite good on these fill the tank with Vpower or Ultimate clear the trip data then get on the motorway and sit at 56 for a few junctions come off and immediately check the data see wht it returned i run a 1.5 dci when i bought it the guy was getting 74,6 but the best i can manage is 54 shows i drive little more rushed than him! not everyone can get the same results in the same car!

·
Registered
2020 S Edition 130 TCe AU EDC in Desert Orange and Black
139 Posts
I was quite shocked earlier this month when my mileage dropped from around 38mpg mixed driving to barely 30mpg on a 1.3 auto. I believe there was a mix of reasons for this. The colder weather we experienced will cause all cars to give poorer mileage, particularly on short journeys, and this was certainly a contributory factor. Using E10 (with E5 often sold out in local petrol stations) seems to cause about 10% reduction in mpg for me. Finally a routine check of my tyre pressures found that all of my tyres had become mildly under-inflated, which of course also acts to reduce mpg. Milder weather, a tank full of Vpower, and correctly inflated tyres and my mileage is currently back to where it was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I expect a reduction in the cost of fuel in the next few weeks, I have moved to E5

you will see an increase in mpg just using a better fuel brand and the best grade the E10 is no where as efficient as E5 and yes correct or slightly over inflated tyres gives better /lower rolling resistance also strangly a correctly tracked (front wheel alignment ) what brand of fuel do you use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 Captur petrol manual1.2 Tco does 36mpg with 12800 on the clock. Tried E10, lousy performance, mpg dropped to 33. Same with eco mode. Returned to E5 despite the extra cost. All during same motoring, mainly short trips. Does go to 38 on long trips. Now a happy bunny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2015 Captur petrol manual1.2 Tco does 36mpg with 12800 on the clock. Tried E10, lousy performance, mpg dropped to 33. Same with eco mode. Returned to E5 despite the extra cost. All during same motoring, mainly short trips. Does go to 38 on long trips. Now a happy bunny.
Hi I bought 2018 gtline captur in march this year traded in my 2016 Clio, I do mostly urban driving speed limits 40 mph, I was getting average 36 eco on since purchasing, suddenly last three days same routes but because of rise in petrol I’ve been driving more carefully not accelerating in low gears being mindful of speed limits and treating my gearbox with kid gloves and now getting 40 wow

·
Registered
2020 S Edition 130 TCe AU EDC in Desert Orange and Black
139 Posts
Just back from a holiday in the lake district for which we drove from Swindon to Kendall and back - about 300 miles each way. My natural inclination is to make motorway journeys as short a time as possible by driving briskly. Given current conditions I opted for a change of approach, trading time for cost. I kept my speed to 65 mph over the journey (helped by the very long sections of M5 with variable speed limits which restricted speeds to rather less than this anyway) and have been quite stunned by the result. Normally I would expect to get around 40 mpg recorded on a long run like this but the indicated mpg for these trips was shown as 59 mpg - and using E10. The available miles of travel on a full tank increased from typically 360 to a remarkable 490. I know these won't be entirely accurate but even so it clearly represents a significant improvement. I am now converted to more economical driving, and I suspect many others are doing the same as I feel that speeds on the motorway have generally re3duced.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Air resistance increases with the square of the car's speed (in general terms). That's like the difference between 50 and 70 mph duobling the air resistance and resulting in a lot more fuel being used to push the air out of the way of the car. Then there are other factors such as drag from the tyres on the road surface, internal drag in the engine's moving parts etc which is why you don't get double the mpg at 50mph than you get at 70mph.

I live close to the part of the M3 that was turned into a "smart" motorway a few years back. The works took for ever and we had large sections of the M3 where the speed limit was reduced from 70 to 50 for several years. At the time this formed part of my daily commute. The effect on my mpg was noticeable, and I usually travelled at about 65 before the "temporary" 50mph limit was imposed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts