Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Mrs FB, FB junior and I are looking at replacing mrs FB's Citroen C4 Picasso bus with a Captur - not decided on dynamique or dynamique S yet or petrol or diesel but off to test drive a few today, a 0.9tce and 1.5dci. This will be our main family car so needs to have enough space for the three of us but will be checking out the roof bar options for a roof box and tailgate-mounted bike carrier for our camping trips.

My car is a 2005 Audi A2 1.4TDI SE which I've owned for 8 years and will keep 'till either me or it dies, and we have history with small petrol engines mrs FB having owned a succession of smart cars until choosing a bus!

We aren't likely to be buying today but hopefully soon

I'll let you know how we get on!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So we went for a test-drive of both petrol and diesel and to look at the options to see whether, ultimately, it was viable.  First impressions are positive, having seen a few in France this was our first chance to get a look close-up; both the demo models were Dynamique S which is the full multi-colour swap-shop version and the highest spec; thye each had plenty of options too such as heated seats, reversing cameras and the upgraded R-link stereo.  I love the looks, just the right balance of stance, detail and shape a complete package as far as I'm concerned; one was grey with a black roof, the other in signature Arizona orange with the black roof.  I can't really see anything at all I don't like on the outside, only the now-ubiquitous 'piano' black which shows up finger prints with incredible ease.

Getting in is easy, as was putting FB juniors chair in the middle - a plus as that's his favourite spot; the sales guy mentioned it was the same size as a new Clio inside before we got to it which I thought would immediately rule it out as that looked quite small in the showroom but thankfully he was well wide of the mark - ideal for people to sit behind me at 6'4" if not perhaps myself doing it! The back seat in the rearmost position still leaves an excellent boot with split level flooring which is at an ideal height to get stuff in and out along with being a great shape.

At the wheel I could get an excellent driving position with enough adjustment of the seat and helm making a nice elevated position without feeling like you were towering over other cars, the seats felt good although, like lots of small cars, I suspect the front seat wouldn't feel quite long enough under the thighs on long journeys but they weren't uncomfortable to sit on. We were shown all of the functions of the R-Link sat nav thingy which also controls the stereo and the comprehensive trip computer, on the move it seemed to 'bong' as you change speed limits which wasn't as annoying as it sounds - it was all a piece of cake to use.

First out in the petrol 0.9tce - a new 3-pot turbo charged 900cc unit that has been getting great reviews in the Clio; not as punchy as the 1.0 3-potter in Ford products but smoother. I was keen to see if this tiny puffer would be overwhelmed by a car that's heavier and taller than the Clio because 3-cylinders and turbocharging is right up my alley. At idle with the door open there is no doubt this is a 3-pot, that offbeat unevenness which sounds a bit unnatural but also interesting. With the door closed it is much quieter - select first with the nice clutch and light gear change and were off; sometimes it can be difficult to modulate a new car, especially a tiny turbo, but this felt natural from the off.

Through the test drive I noticed that if you changed up without being quite smooth the drivetrain definitely 'shunted', I guess it's the small engine and biggish car, occassionally being off-boost but otherwise itis incredibly smooth and happy to be revved when we joined the A14; at a 70mph cruise the engine was silent, wind noise a minimum and generally it felt like the sort of car you could blat up the motorway in for hours on end. The engine has a lovely charm to it which is there when you'd like it and absent when you dont - it would never be a ball of fire but its a lovely little triple.  The ride is excellent, I'd read a few reports about the car being a bit hard on urban roads but I didn't really notice it at all, only really big pot holes came into the cabin.  The gearbox was great through all the gears, the brakes sound and strong without being grabby.  I didn't get the chance to door handle it (I don't really do door handling) but it felt very secure and stale with decent steering that wasn't over assisted but then won't make lotus Elise owners get a hard excited about.

Overall, lovely.

We want a petrol car next but wondering if the 0.9 would be up to the job I'd booked a 1.5dci too. Despite the same 90bhp they are, obviously, very different. This is a smoother unit than the 1.6HDI in the Picasso, really very good from a refinement perspective, it didn't have any of the slight weirdness in the drivetrain the petrol displayed feeling more of a chunky product, which it will be with a heavier clutch - tractable around town with a degree of urgency it was surprisingly lacking in go at speed; I'd say performance wise they are a dead match, joining the A14 at the same spot it felt a bit short of absolute puff, perhaps driving a remapped car I forget how diesels tail off; once cruising it sat at 70mph quite happily just ticking over at 2000rpm (3000rpm in the petrol) but despite being quiet there was still a slight diesel drone in the background which made me realise boat-fuel has its limitations.

The diesel left me cold to be honest - it could be any car; despite 56mpg v 43mpg in the 0.9tce over the same route we both agreed the petrol had the edge. Both cars seemed to have the stop and start disabled, I can only assume due to this foxing most people on a test drive, and they have an Eco mode which is supposed to make the throttle slower and air con work a little less hard but I didn't notice the difference in either.

So, are we buying one? Maybe - we have decided the Picasso will go and wanted to get some numbers together.  The part ex was bottom book and the price of the model we would be looking at 0.9tce Dynamic (most of the goodies without the hyperactive paint schemes) wouldn't be discounted (broadspeed have £750 off...) but were offered a decent finance rate of 3.64% which appeals as we don't want to use savings so the numbers got close to adding up.  Talking it through we decided to have a think about it - sadly, when I got home realised there was a missed call from the dealer too late to contact them back - the dealer emailed me to advise they'd given me the preferential rate for existing customers by accident; they could only offer 8.6% increasing the monthly figures by £35. Nein Danken. It makes the car too expensive and, frankly, I'm disappointed that having put the paperwork together they wouldn't honour it.

We do fancy one but need to drive the 2008 and then decide if we really want to spend out on a new car rather than going for something 2 years old (which rules these two out...). Renault's 4 year warranty, servicing and road side assistance do help.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
That is a very nice write up there Frank, will come in very useful for everyone else in a similar position of deciding between Petrol or Diesel.<div id="watchlr_dummy_element_for_plugin_detection">

I think the fact they can lower the interest rate for existing customers opens up a negotiation window - fair enough, a new car out and in demand will have little room on the ticket price.. but could have room on the interest rate..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan for the positive comment.

I can't deny it's disappointing they retracted it but my backstop option was a loan from my bank at under 5% - it was also slightly sour that the sales guy just gave a flat no with a smug smile when I looked for some movement on our bottom-book part-ex price...it's not what you say but the way that you say it...!

Truth is, I prefer to work with a local agent if at all possible but I won't have my pants pulled down in the process - also, Mrs FB is going for a new job today (cycle to work and more money) so that would swing in the petrol's favour and also mean we might be able to live with one car for a few weeks so sell the Picasso private; I know deliveries for the Captur seem to be about 8 weeks which means waiting until supply has stepped-up and discounts are more readily available; as much as I'd like to order straight away, I won't pay through the nose to be an early adpoter!

Anyway, we have agreed on a spec:

0.9tce Dynamic

Silver (or Tahiti Blue)

Manhatten Interior pack

Spare wheel

European Nav

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that's the Captur dream all but over.

Went to my local dealer yesterday to do a deal having decided on a Captur 0.9tce Dynamic in Tahiti Blue with the black gloss wheels, chrome exterior trim, Manhattan wheel and seat trim, spare wheel, European map and rear parking sensors (you can see we've been thinking about it...) and had one last look around the car - it was only then I noticed the poor paint quality in various areas specifically the lack of lacquer on the inside of the boot lid...we then look more dispassionately at the car and realise that whilst Renault have put some excellent work into the exterior the interior plastics actually feel pretty grim, especially the door cards...we walked around the car and mulled it over then de coded we weren't entirely convinced by the quality.

We went into the Citroen side of the dealership which had a C3 Picasso Selection special edition on-show; Mrs FB discounted one of these where we bought the C4 Picasso but having a closer look she was completely smitten with it, deciding it's the right balance of space, comfort and style; subject to test drive (the dealer is getting a petrol 1.6 VTi for us to drive, the demo was a diesel) we will be buying;

1.6VTi Exclusive in Ink Blue, Alcantara interior, spare wheel, ESP (shameful omission on a modern car...), Black pack (17" wheels and black gloss trim) with 0% finance over 4 years making it cheaper post-discount too.

I'm surprised she was so smitten to be honest, I think the Selection in the showroom having the 17" wheels helped.

I'd like the thank the forum for providing such a great platform for Captur owners and making me welcome, of course we will sleep before ordering so Mrs FB might change her mind yet...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well Frank, each to their own...Nothing wrong with changing your mind..It depemds what you feel comfortable with and what you need!
ENJOY whatever you choose!! I hope the Citroen gives you good service!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Glad you finally made your choice Frank...........reading through all this made me realise how "impulsive" I am........I walked in local dealership,seen Captur liked Captur,had a test drive and then picked my colours...........order all done in less than 50 minutes!!........There was a time when I used to go into every minute detail of a car before I purchased it........I cant be arsed these days,its too much faff!!!

Good Luck with the Citroen and watch out for the electrickery gremlins!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not worried about another Citroen - we've done 35k in less than 2.5 years, yes there have been some issues in thy time (collapsing drivers seat, a known C4 Picasso issue, has been replaced under warranty which is extended to 60k/ 5 years for this item and a clutch that collapsed out of warranty but was replaced by Citroen FOC due to mechanical failure of the release bearing) and my dealer has always been excellent, they are a small family business which helps.

I've done impulsive and always regretted it - sales people hate me as I no longer do a deal on gut feel but go away and research!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here's another persons view of the Captur....

Firstly in no way shape or form does it leave me cold, in fact I look forward to driving itas much as my previous MX5!

Ilove the 'hyperactive'paint job and so far everybody else I know does.

The interior and the finishes I find to be of perfectly acceptable standards, attractive to look at, hardwearing,and importantly clean very easily even the piano black trim.

The paint quality so far has been first class, and after nearly 2000 miles I have one stone chip on the front which is hardly visible. As a comparison my MX5 had around 10 big ones with similar driving conditions. It may not be lacquered around the inside of the boot but this wouldnot stop me from buying one.

The ride quality is very comfortable and the seats supportive enough for a 5 hour non stop trip from Belgium to result in no aches or pains at all.

Overall then I find theCaptur a delight to own,the drive is verysmooth and comfortable , the engine responsive and very refined, the gearbox a delight, the clutch light,and the interior a very comfortable andlovely place to be.

Remember though, this review is from an actual ownerand a very happy one at that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't really need to take it personally, I've tried to be balanced where possible and be realistic about the subjective elements as there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong'; I don't expect people to agree with me but my opinion, as somebody who has been attracted into the showroom, is as valid as anyone's.

I spoke to a friend who works for Renault and he mentioned the lack of lacquer on the boot opening and door is as much about energy performance as pure cost cutting (lacquer uses a significant amount of energy in its production and application) so in order for Renault to meet its organisational objectives this is a decision they've made; that's fine and I can understand that, it just made me look a bit more dispassionately at other elements of the car - I wasn't suggesting all the paintwork was rubbish and I'm sure they have adequately protect the areas that are susceptible to chips.

I think the seats will be fine for most people, but I am 6'4" and they were definitely a touch short under the legs and I suspected (although didn't confirm as fact) potential discomfort over long periods of time at the wheel; as our car is either used for short journeys or a day at the wheel it matters for the latter.

We didn't order the Citroen, we went for something else in the end.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Frank, that's what we all have...choice...depending on our own needs..I for one certainly understand that and don't blame you for making that choice..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Frank Bullitt said:
You don't really need to take it personally, I've tried to be balanced where possible and be realistic about the subjective elements as there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong'; I don't expect people to agree with me but my opinion, as somebody who has been attracted into the showroom, is as valid as anyone's.

Sorry but I don't agree with you, how can someone's opinion be as valid when all they have done is test drive it, and walk around it in the showroom as compared to an owner who has actually lived with the car for 2,3,4 months?

Oh and I never take anything personal from a forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts