Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has come across the following? 16 Plate Captur 0.9Tce, sudden loss of power on motorway barely able to get over 60mph and power surging - obvious reduction in mpg.

Same problem re-occurred after being stood in traffic, and then service light came on and "check anti-polution system" message. Took to main dealer, diagnostic check showed faulty oxygen sensor.... repair carried out under warrantly (luckily still under 4 year warranty till May 2020). Took for mixed driving run after collecting, same fault appeared when entering motorway via uphill slip road.... car shuddering and power fluctuations for full trip on motorway (luckily only a short journey to exit), and then lack of power at junctions/roundabout etc. Limped back to garage!!!

Further checks showed rodent droppings and hairs in engine bay, and examination of wiring loom found chewed damage - part of harness replaced (to claim on insurance) - picked up car again... took on same mixed driving run - SAME problem and warning lights returned this time. Same journey back & limped to garage.

This time they reported back that the rodent damage must have caused a short in the ECU - replaced and also being claimed on insurance as stated as related to the rodent damage!!!

Got car back and first opportunity for a mixed run today ended in same shuddering & loss of power (no warning lights!!).... intermittent shuddering and lurching forward & backwards. Pulled over and let stand for 5-10 mins... returned home on "normal" roads with no inclines - taking car back to garage tomorrow, email sent advising them!!!.

Any ideas, or similar problems - resolved????

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Where is it parked to have suffered so much "rodent damage"? How long have you had the car? Will this damage definitely have happened after you bought it rather than before? Are you and the garage sure that the rodent is gone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is parked overnight, and through most of the day in a locked garage at home.... there is no signs in the garage of any rodent - and bait traps have now been put down just in case.... not touched yet. So it could have happened when parked elsewhere.

I have had the car almost 3 years, it was 1 year old when I bought it....

The damage to the wiring was limited to one wire.... and perhaps "helped" the mechanic to jump ahead and blame that for the problem?? As said, I am covered by my insurance for rodent damage, so I should get the cost of repairing that and any related damage (less my excess), and has been confirmed verbally by my insurer.

My argument is that the rodent damage wasn't the cause of the initial problem, but was just a coincidence (especially as the damage wasn't more extensive - I have searched for any similar symptoms and found that it may be related to the fuel pump, accelerator sensor or brake sensor. I have emailed the garage advising that I am returning the car again tomorrow, and directed them to check those areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is parked overnight, and through most of the day in a locked garage at home.... there is no signs in the garage of any rodent - and bait traps have now been put down just in case.... not touched yet. So it could have happened when parked elsewhere.

I have had the car almost 3 years, it was 1 year old when I bought it....

The damage to the wiring was limited to one wire.... and perhaps "helped" the mechanic to jump ahead and blame that for the problem?? As said, I am covered by my insurance for rodent damage, so I should get the cost of repairing that and any related damage (less my excess), and has been confirmed verbally by my insurer.

My argument is that the rodent damage wasn't the cause of the initial problem, but was just a coincidence (especially as the damage wasn't more extensive - I have searched for any similar symptoms and found that it may be related to the fuel pump, accelerator sensor or brake sensor. I have emailed the garage advising that I am returning the car again tomorrow, and directed them to check those areas.
View attachment 486
having same problem and nobody knows what the problem is
just changed 02 sensor but no change
let me know if you get it solved and i will do versa

·
Registered
2 Posts
having same problem and nobody knows what the problem is
just changed 02 sensor but no change
let me know if you get it solved and i will do versa
your car is doing what mine was
took a bit of time but to resolve the issue replace the map sensor at the front of engine also known as air pressure sensor
car now going as it should be

1 - 5 of 5 Posts