Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in week 2 of owning a 63 plate petrol model. I'm also back driving after 16 years so learning again...I put 30 litres in on Tuesday and the gauge went to almost '1', since then I've driven 117 miles and the gauge is nearly at quarter mark, seems too low for me. The onboard computer says I still have 135 miles of fuel left, is it normal for the gauge to be so low? It's disconcerting! Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Brim the tank, drive 200-300 miles and brim it again. See how much petrol you've put in, in gallons, then divide that into the miles you've driven since previous brimming. That'll give you your MPG.

·
Registered
32 Posts
beware "Brimming" on the capture is the worst I have come across!!

I can add about 4-5 litre from intitial 1st stop "click" of pump before its actually brimmed. Id say that's about 12- 15+ clicks!

for what its worth once I had done the calculations, I found the on board computer to be spot on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I filled of my 69 plate Captur 0.9. The onboard computer says 400 mile range. Drove 70 miles and the range now says 280.? didn't have a/c on or any over load?. this is the second time this has happened. Anyone else having similar issues?, MPG rate isn't good at all.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The computer calculates the range based on the consumption rate of the last few miles. As such the "range" computer cannot be relied on. A trip around town will give you a low range figure. An eco run for a few miles will put it back up again. The "fuel used" is more accurate. Best to calculate it yourself over a period of tankfuls. Or reset the system, take it on a run and use the "average mpg" computer. Don't overfill the tank by brimming. Apart from possibly wasting fuel it can damage the evap system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The computer calculates the range based on the consumption rate of the last few miles. As such the "range" computer cannot be relied on. A trip around town will give you a low range figure. An eco run for a few miles will put it back up again. The "fuel used" is more accurate. Best to calculate it yourself over a period of tankfuls. Or reset the system, take it on a run and use the "average mpg" computer. Don't overfill the tank by brimming. Apart from possibly wasting fuel it can damage the evap system.
I understand that 400miles range is best case scenario but a 50 mile difference based on normal driving conditions seems off. Getting more like 30mpg instead of 45.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's impossible to calculate without accurate figures but let's make some assumptions. What is the capacity of the tank - 10 gallons? If so your car is telling you that you have 400 miles to go - that's assuming 40 mpg isn't it. You drive 70 miles and it says 280 left. So that calculates at 35mpg if my sums are correct. First this is so inaccurate, as I said above, as there are so many factors to consider. Second, we don't know what your drive cycle is.... but never expect to get the figures quoted in the sales brochures. Sorry I have no idea what a realistic mpg should be.. I have a diesel.

·
Super Moderator
2,756 Posts
Type of journey etc can make a huge difference to mpg. I've recently started a new job quite close to home. Consequently my mpg (petrol engined Fiesta) has gone from just under 50mpg for my previous 20-miles each way commute down (or up) the M3 to just over 30mpg. Another difference is that I now use about a gallon a week instead of about a gallon a day; come the warmer weather I am sorely tempted to try cycling to and from work !

·
Super Moderator
2,756 Posts
Thank you; I got paid today for the first time by my new employers... only my second pay day this year so it was something of a relief, I can tell you !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts