Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My r-link (and Packs included - free for some 90 and 180 days - finaly activated after my complains) is now working except e-mail. I cant receive messages. Gmail is connecting/running for some 10 seconds and produce a message: authentication failed. Two login attempts left.
Has anyone similar problem? Solutions? I asked Renault HQ for support and they requested to send all details about system (serial number, SIM deteils, etc). Waiting for they answer.

Other applications in Discovery Pack work without any problem.
I created and tried Yahoo account just to test another mail. The same result. In fact I dont need email in the car but if it is I would like to know why it does not work.

I own my car for one week and it is quite positive experience. R-link is user friendly system and Capture is very comfortable car (comparing with Clio and Megane I could drive earlier).
regards,

·
Registered
338 Posts
My gmail account has been stopped by Google as they were unable to verify authenticity of the user - connection apparently goes via French internet (or so Google told me in their email) and without my confirmation to Google, they will block connection or set up. I know it says you get three attempts but if you check your PC for emails you may have your answerFor Hotmail account you need Hotmail Plus to register on RLink

·
Registered
317 Posts
My gmail account via R Link is working fine (well it was yesterday when I last downloaded my emails on it). I will try it again tomorrow and let you know if I have any problems with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does R Link work with any email account provider? I use my work email account as my main one but it isn't gmail or anything like that. Will I be able to get email read to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah sounds complicated. If I have issues when I get my car I will be back on here asking for help I am sure!

·
Registered
317 Posts
It isn't that complicated as long as your workplace will give you the information you need to set it up. Unfortunately my workplace wouldn't as they only allow emails to be downloaded on company issued devices. So I only use the email application for personal email.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a quick question, I know I haven't ordered the media nav or r-link. To technical for me lol. When you are driving are the option usable or only when car is stationary? I'd find it so distracting keeping my eyes on the road. Probably because I only got one good eye mind lol the other is partial sight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It depends on what you have running, emails will read out as you drive, and the sat nav/menus/music are available. Apps like games and video playback are only allowed when the cars stationary. But it Wouldnt surprise me if somebody finds a work around for that. But a lot of the features are available as you drive, so hopefully all the captur owners are sensible drivers! Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Bjs53..sorry I haven't responded...having problems with posting replies to you through messages...lost all my Polish mails after sitting on them for a long time!!

Thanks for your advice...my R link will be up and running from monday with the packages you specified.

The car's a dream to drive for my partner...first automatic...and she loves it so far!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CazB
It is not very complicated; you need the information like "in" and "out" server names, ports, etc
R-link displays info about ports available for incoming and outgoing messages when you try to register email different than already preinstalled (Gmial, Yahoo and Hotmail). I did not checked this path focusing on Gmail what I think should be easier (in fact it took me some time).

Edited by: bjs53

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah brill thanks. I will get our ict tech to point me in the direction when I get the car. I am sure he knows all that info. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bjs53,I am very interesting in getting this information

I could not do it!!
Thanks

bjs53 said:
Problem solved
Gmail requires two step verification
now it works
if enybody is interested I can send more details
Edited by: poyopoyo2013

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well
lets go with Gmail configuration
you have to find in Google "Gmail two step verification"
in my case it is
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1173270?hl=en

it gives you a page when you will find
<h3>Generating application-specific passwords</h3>there is a hint
  1. Visit the Authorizing applications & sites page
    (pictured below) under your Google Account settings.
click this link

it gives you the possibility to generate application specific password

you will find a window

in step 1 enter the name - for example: R-link or anything you like

then in 2 - generate password

it will generate a password like this

you have to write it down and use this password only once in the car in R-link instead of your normal password to Gmail.
and it is done!
----------------------
it is becouse Gmail block any unknown devices other than your computer for security reasons.
--------------
by the way: this two step verification will also ask you afterwards to introduce special code in any computer you use for Gmail - when login it will send you sms with 6-digit code just to confirm your login. Just two step verification.
------------------------
hope it is clear,
regards,

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
bjs53...I thought you said it was simple!?...I'm 59 and feel 70 when I read all that!!

I don't know if I want to read my email in the car after all that!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh! it is not so complicated; I am 60!
it looks difficult but is not.

just few steps:
find a page
generate password
enter it in R-link

I included pictures to illustrate those steps
I also dont need to read e-mails, however it makes me crazy when I have something and it does not work,
in this case the challenge was more inspiring as renault technical section in Warsaw HQ could not answer how to fix it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to explain two points from my previous post:

1. you have to write it down and use this password<b style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">only once[/B]in the car in R-linkinstead of your normal password to Gmail.<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><b style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">and it is done![/B]<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">----------------------<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">it is becouse Gmail block any unknown devices other than your computer for security reasons.

Entering this special password you authorise R-link, and Gmail (Google) will not block it any more.

<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">--------------<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">2. by the way: this two step verification will also ask you afterwards to introduce special code in any computer you use for Gmail - when login it will send you sms with 6-digit code just to confirm your login. Just two step verification.<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">------------------------
but don't worry - you enter this 6-diigit code when login to Gmail in your computer, and you can check the option " I don't want to use codes in this computer any more" and it will not ask you to do it again. This certain computer is simply authorised. If you login to Gmail in another computer it wiill ask you for a code it sends you via sms becouse this second computer (and any other new device) is not authorised from Gmial point of view). It works that way as long as the two step verification is active. You can revoke it if you don't like it. However it is quite good security option to be sure nobody use your account.
You simply have to authorise any new device you use for login to Gmial.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi bjs53, I haven't had to go through any of what you described to set up gmail via R Link as it accepted my normal password. Is this something you have had to do since you set it up?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts