Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back in my Captur this afternoon to see a message telling me I have a mandatory update waiting for me. Anyone else seen this, and more importantly has anyone actually done the update?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried twice and it fails each time. The message states that if it does not work I may need to take it to the service centre. I will try again in a few days when my patience has returned!

let me know you have problems too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chedward said:
I have tried twice and it fails each time. The message states that if it does not work I may need to take it to the service centre. I will try again in a few days when my patience has returned!

let me know you have problems too.

Ouch. Not good. Has that bricked your R-Link then?
I haven't tried yet, mainly as I'm away from home and don't want to risk fouling up the maps etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Feeling a little desperate re. R-Link and the lack of info provided by Renault, I decided to try and familiarise myself with what needs doing (I was worried that time would run out on free updates, before I finally understood it).
I Googled R-Link Store - this asked me to register the vehicle, pain as I needed to insert SD car into computer to access the unique number, that done it gives a link to the R-Link Toolbox, I had Media Nav toolbox on my computer, but did not understand that this was not the one I needed!!!!
Bit of a warning here - there is a procedure in settings - REMOVE SD CARD, I was not aware, but as I just got in the car and not switched anything on I did not expect I was to blame, anyway I downloaded all the free stuff; Aquarium; calculator; Tea Break warning. Re-inserted SD card following morning - shriek; horror - NO MAPS. Quickly, thought - my fault as I had not used procedure to remove SD card, but then searched the Forum to discover that NO MAPS, is not a unique problem (though no one else owned up to removing card the way I did).
After a 100 mile nice drive out on the Saturday, I reinserted SD card into the computer and it did its own thing - stating that it was restoring backup! (Windows does not seem to recognise any files on the card, so an Explorer backup is out of the question).
Re-inserted SD card in Captur - if stated that R-Link was re-booting, great I thought getting map back, but no got Aquarium and calculator. So removed SD card and back to computer, tried downloading something I missed and also another free item, but that said I needed a PACK!!! I though all PACKS were included in the fancy price!
Off to church Sunday morning, I reinserted SD card prior to setting off - R-Link stated it was updating, then miraculously I had maps, it reset home address, but then the dealer told me you should never set HOME in your SatNav, owing to the fact that if you are on holiday and your car is stolen (and you left your house keys in the car) the first thing the crooks can do is find your home, drive there and empty the contents, whilst you are struggling with the Police and the Insurance company!! Anyway upshot is I have downloaded free stuff; a map upgrade and learnt a lesson on how to work the R-Link. But should I have had to suffer so, the R-Link manual (a quick guide) should be one of the things given from day one - not 'when you get home, just play with it and you will soon find out what everything does' treatment the dealer gives!!!!

Edited by: philiphales

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just as an afterthought - one must assume that the R-Link Toolbox makes a backup of the SD card on my computer, but what if the card gets fried for some other reason can one just insert any old SD card and restore the new card to mimic the existing one, or do we have to eat humble pie and fall on our knees before the Dealer, to get a replacement?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I must admit that I downloaded the R-Link manual before I had the car to find out how it all worked, but so far I've had no problems with it.
I removed the card while everything was off to download a couple of the freebies as well as the sound effect and when I put it back in the car it said no maps for a few seconds but then everything came back. I have removed it a couple of times this way and it seems fine. I think you only have to use the 'remove card' feature if it is turned on but I could be wrong. The sound effect is great fun by the way and works well at keeping in time with the engine.

The TomTom HD feature ran out after the three months and I renewed that and Coyote at the dealers, by the time I got home it it had updated and everything was working.

I love the features like the emails being read out to you while driving.

So far I'm more than pleased with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can you explain what the Coyote does and is it already included, or did you pay?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You pay extra for Coyote but save a few pounds buying it as a package with TomTom HD.
It's basically a speed camera warning app with warnings of incidents in the area, but I still don't understand the interface. On the screen It looks a bit like a radar but I don't yet know what the numbers mean.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess I must have it, then. I have an icon of a speed camera and a speed 30mph roundal on the display when in a 30 zone. It also beeps when passing them and approaching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to update the memory card (via PC) today. When I plugged it back in the car it failed to fully upload.

Have put it back in my computer and it says I need to contact customer support.

Not ideal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got to admit. I chickened out. I got as far as the R-Link telling me it would take about 15 mins to install, Realised I was going to run out of time. So planned to have a go at the weekend.But having read your post, JD, not so sure now. Where you updating in relation to the message on the R-Link telling you about the mandatory update? What did CS say?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't have a message on R-Link, only picked up the car on Monday so was told to update the memory card when I registered myself on the r-link store.

CS doesn't open until 9am, will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Credit where it's due, CS were really helpful.

Received the following advice via email which resolved the issue.

Following our phone conversation this morning concerning the error you received in the R-Link Toolbox in order to resolve this matter I ask you to first confirm if the slide in the side of the SD Card is in the ""unlock""� position.
Also, please empty the cache by opening the R-Link Toolbox and going to "Settings". Under the "Cache" tab you should select the option "Empty the Cache", and then uninstall and reinstall the Toolbox and try again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
JD1104 said:
I tried to update the memory card (via PC) today. When I plugged it back in the car it failed to fully upload.

Have put it back in my computer and it says I need to contact customer support.

Not ideal.

I had exactly the same problem after an update and after numerous call to renalt suport and 2 trips to the dealers both entailing me to have a courtesy car for the full day each time, they have now agreed with what I told them a month ago the card even though it still works ok in the car is corrupt !!!!! and needs replacing under warrantary

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know much about the Renault system used in the R-link (the device or the store) but I have come to some conclusions:1. I think the backup is not local (on your computer) since your computer can have viruses, can be formatted, re-installed etc. So, I think the backup in on their servers and every time you insert a new card, the R-link tool will download and install the backup copy from your account on renault servers.
2. If you want to be in control of your backup copies, there are several programs on the internet that copies bit by bit informations from a certain storage and create a file with it. This file will contain everything from the storage including partition information and file system (FAT, FAT32, NTFS regardless the version, linux partitions etc). So, if you need to restore the info, all you have to do is get a new storage with equal or larger capacity, you don't need to format it because the software will rewrite ALL information in the same place as the original. Norton Ghost is the program I use for backing up my computer operating system (it takes 10-20minutes to restore a windows 7 with all drivers and software I use).

Hope helped.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I bit the bullet this morning. Removed the SD card from the R-Link using the 'remove SD card' function. Put the card in the back of my iMac. The R-Link toolbox downloaded the update to the SD card and once finished, I 'ejected' the card from the iMac before physically removing the card.Back to the Captur. Ignition on, and deactivated stop start (just in case). I waited for the R-Link to boot up, and got the expected 'no maps' message. Inserted the SD card and R-Link came up with a message saying there was an update available and did I wish to update? Hit Ok and held my breath. After about a minute got the message saying the update was installing (or word to that effect) and a progress bar.
It took about 20 minutes to complete. Once complete the R-Link shut down and rebooted, and (so far) seems to be working perfectly.
One big plus for me is that I finally seem to be able to connect my 160GB ipod classic and control it via the R-Link. Prior to the update, R-Link crashed when I connected my ipod. So far, so good then.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Barrowboy63, this is perfectly normal. When I update my R-link it took almost half hour. I was afraid that I will get home before it finishes. Anyway, for whom might be interested, the most important thing when updating R-link - keep your car with engine running otherwise, after 10 minutes the whole electrical system shuts down and it might corrupt your device. This is not software controlled so it has nothing to do with R-link.

Trick: If you want to make economy on fuel, update the software while moving. If you reached your destination and the software did not complete, power off all electrical devices you have running on your car (AC, lights, phone chargers etc) and let the car enter the Start/Stop phase. Then, the engine will turn off but it will start again if the system is running low on energy. So, you will save fuel and update your R-link without any risk.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Geodor. I had anticipated that it might take a while to update, hence that's why I left the engine running. I wonder how many of the issues people have with the R-Link update is down to the engine, and power shutting down halfway through the update and thus corrupting the card and R-Link. Anyway. I've done it :) phew!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts