Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sat in a captur at the dealership the other day very tempted indeed, can someone enlighten me as to what apps are available for the r link and what they do please as I cant find any info

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's a VERY neat system!! My Tom Tom is playing up though...maybe it's the cold..-12°C and below....It's a case of 'now you see it, now you don't'!! The maps come and go...have you had this problem Julian?..Frustrating...as I don't do anything for it to come back!
I use the system for navigation, emails, music...and I might eventually get round to getting the phone set up!! I don't bother with the other apps...I don't want to listen to the growl of another cars engine etc..My car is quiet apart from the superb music at low or high...depending on our mood

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
18 Posts
My R Link has been playing up too Ythsie. My maps come and go, but it seems as soon as the engine has been turned off and on again they come back. My email and twitter won't work but I can get the weather to work. The dealership did do a reset of the system from their end to try & sort it but it didn't work so I have to take it in. But overall it's great! Love it! It's much better than the media nav, more advanced and more to do, looks better too. So I would recommend the R Link :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tom Tom,
Coyote, Phone, weather, all work like a dream so far. Email I haven't set it up
yet, don't really need it. Bear in mind that I have barely 500 miles on the
clock so far! Haven't had much opportunity to use the car properly yet, only
pottering around town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that it sounds like there are a few gremlins happening with this system maybe it needs a glitch update ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah it seems like it does. Whenever I go into the services application the signal disappears so it won't connect to some of the apps in there. It could be something I am doing wrong, I'm not sure but neither are the dealership so they said to just book it in and they will have a look at it. So don't let that out you off, it works for majority of people by the sounds of it :) I haven't hit 500 miles yet either and am still getting used to the car, it's fab to drive!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would recommend R-link to everyone, even though you pay over-the-top to get it. Don't take the Medianav. The Medianav sound system is ok, no distortion, and the bass is not bad.
But my gripe is the Nav system. It's quirky.Firstly, there are three routing options; fastest, shortest and economy. With the routing system set to fastest you often find the route diverts off the main road and takes you through towns (and villages) if the nav system calculates the fastest route is that way. Of course, that is theoretical, and traffic flow through housing estates and shopping streets is NOT that fast, especially on market day. There seems to be no priority to main (trunk roads) except by the mere expediency that the trunk route has a high speed limit.

Secondly, unlike R-link, the MediaNav system does not have live traffic updates. Because of that, Medianav cannot be used to divert around slow or turgid locations. Medianav cannot be updated to obtain live traffic update from traffic sensors.

Finally, it is NOT possible to upgrade to R-link, post production. So one has to have knowledge beforehand to make the selection on which system to get when ordering a new vehicle.

I have now got used tothe sat navquirks, and even if I don't know there area (which is why I use a sat nav anyway) I will ignore its advice, and hope the main route around a village or housing estate will get me there just as well.

I publish this gripe on the R-link thread to help people make up their mind when ordering a satnav service for their new car.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You're right to post here.. I am still a fan of R link, despite some problems..They don't explain the differences...and then it's too late!

·
Registered
236 Posts
R-Link's
TOMTOM uses TELEATLAS maps (which belongs to TOMTOM), whereas MEDIANAV uses NAVTEQ
maps (which belongs to NOKIA and now to MICROSOFT).

TELEATLAS
maps are generally viewed as more accurate and more up to date than NAVTEQ, however
this is a moot point. I'm used to and prefer TOMTOM's Graphical User Interface
which is very user friendly, but to be honest what decided me to go for the
R-Link was the added bonus of the reversing camera which in the Captur, as in
all modern cars, is mandatory due to poor rear visibility. Another added bonus
is the fact that you can have an embedded COYOTE, which saves you from having
another box sticking up on the dash.And no, you cannot upgrade later from MEDIANAV to RLINK

·
Registered
97 Posts
Now we can see that "no maps" message is a common problem in R-link. The only solution I have found so far - engine off, close a car for a moment and then start again. In my case to switch the engine off is not enough. Most probably it is SD card controller failure. Renault should use a bit better card. Other applications in my R-link work without any problem. Including e-mail. I appreciate the phone application. It works loud and clear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been suffering this since new, also loss of the USB connection. Current solution is to start the R-Link first, then press the start button to start the engine.This, however, seems to result in the start procedure being brake + start, with clutch + start only working 50% of the time.
There's another 'possibility' - I tend to only 'lose' the maps on a Friday morning(!), which is the only time I don't carry my mobile phone (bluetooth) with me.
I do get 'bluetooth connected' message, even though the phone is not with me, but then the SD card and the maps drop out.
I think, as bjs53 suggests, the problem is with the R-Link, so that's my next move with the dealer who is equally confused.
I'll report back any findings.
PS I can still email whilst in the 'no maps' mode, so it's not the link.

Very confused and frustrated!

·
Registered
97 Posts
For sure "no maps" problem is not a network connection issue. All other applications work in "no map" mode. It is a question of compatibility of r-link controller and SD card controller. In some random cases the card is not initialized (or not recognized). SD cards renault use in r-link are from one manufacturer (S.....) and they controller problems are well known. System-off is a solution we apply sometimes to computer or other devices (quite often routers)- when we force them to forget what they keep in memory and then start again.

I am afraid dealer can not solve this issue because it is not a problem with just this particular SD card (mine or yours) but with this type of cards. Next card will have probably the same compatibility problem as far as they don't change the cards supplier.

The best would be to get a copy of maps in another (better) SD card.

Edited by: bjs53

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree bjs53 but when you need the Tom Tom it is frusttating when it switches off and leaves you 'lost' in traffic as happened to me in Łódź!
As you say it is not an R link problem!
We tried switching the system on and off..the engine..the doors..and eventually it comes on..It even goes off when putting in your destination!!
We need to work on a solution with Renault..it is not good enough to just accept it!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is this happening with the normal media nav system ? could you not just swap all the data from your sd card to another card ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It doesn't work like that in R link and the SD card cannot be swapped as far as I am aware..without Renault making changes..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts