Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am new here and not that up to speed on cars generally!
My wife has a captur. There are no rear lights at all, except indicators and brake lights.
I assume there should be daylight running lights and rear head lights in the dark.
I have replaced the bulbs in both sides, then realised that those bulbs are for the brake lights and indicators.
I am not 100% sure where DLR or rear headlights should be.
Looking at other renaults on the road, it seems they are supposed to be in the main light unit (same as indicator and brake lights)?
I bought a replacement right hand unit from ebay and there is no difference.
I have also replaced some fuses (10,12 and 17 if I remember correctly)

I am reluctant to take it to Renault but that might be my only option.

If anyone has any advice or can clarify what the operation of DLRs or sidelights (where they should be) that would be very much appreciated 馃憤

Registered
DRL's do not illuminate the rear lights.
They do on my 68 plate, they are permanently on. Not on the 1st incarnation of the Capture & don't seem to be on the MK2 which seems strange. I thought it was a good idea to have rear as well as front. They are LED on the back so like the front not user changeable need to got to renault but unfortunately I don't know the answer to the question!

Registered
2020 E:TECH Hybrid
They do on my 68 plate, they are permanently on. Not on the 1st incarnation of the Capture & don't seem to be on the MK2 which seems strange. I thought it was a good idea to have rear as well as front. They are LED on the back so like the front not user changeable need to got to renault but unfortunately I don't know the answer to the question!
I will have to double check my 2020 version but none of my previous cars (Mazda, Nissan) illuminated the rear lights with just the DRL's on. The OP has not said what car he has which doesn't help..........

Registered
There should be lights on the rear when the headlights are on right?
Do you know which unit they are on yours ?
Presumably the main left and right units?
Yep you're right they certainly should be on with the headlights or sidelights as I said on the face-lift Captur they are LED so different I'm afraid. 1st one is until 2016 2nd was 2017 onwards. Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Sorry I'm not much help!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.
It helps.
It's just odd it doesn't seem to be the unit itself or the fuses (assuming I got the right ones).
If no one comes along with anything to try in the next day or so, it's off to the garage

Super Moderator
If you look at Adie's photos above, the rear lamps on the left-hand photo do not come on with DRL's, but on the facelifted version in the right-hand photo, they do come on with the DRL's. Whatever, when you turn the headlights on then the rear lights should definitely be on. In both those photos above, the parts of the rear lamp clusters that are on the tailgate have no bulbs, they are just a styling feature. However the number plate lamps should also be on with the headlamps..... are your number plate lamps working or not? If it's not 2 blown bulbs or fuses at fault, then you will have to have the wiring investigated, including the light switch.

Front DRL's on the Captur are below the headlamp units, lower down in the front bumper.
When you say you have changed the rear bulbs, they are dual filament type (early Capturs as per left-hand photo above) 5W/25W IIRC for rear lamps and brake lamps.... if you've fitted single fillament ones, no wonder you have no rear lamps. I believe that the rear lamps on the facelifted version are LEDs, so not easy to fix if they are not working

Reactions: Adie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that.
I am pretty sure the rear numberplate lamps are working fine.
Potentially good shout about dual or single filament lamps.
I just picked some up from halfords, as per their recommendation but it's something I will certainly double check.

Actually, the replacement unit I got from ebay (which I tried today) doesn't work either. I didn't change the bulbs in that, so I hope it's a fair assumption the bulbs would have been right.

When I say doesn't work, at least the indicators do. I didn't check the brake lights on the new unit specifically

Registered
Hi.
I am new here and not that up to speed on cars generally!
My wife has a captur. There are no rear lights at all, except indicators and brake lights.
I assume there should be daylight running lights and rear head lights in the dark.
I have replaced the bulbs in both sides, then realised that those bulbs are for the brake lights and indicators.
I am not 100% sure where DLR or rear headlights should be.
Looking at other renaults on the road, it seems they are supposed to be in the main light unit (same as indicator and brake lights)?
I bought a replacement right hand unit from ebay and there is no difference.
I have also replaced some fuses (10,12 and 17 if I remember correctly)

I am reluctant to take it to Renault but that might be my only option.

If anyone has any advice or can clarify what the operation of DLRs or sidelights (where they should be) that would be very much appreciated 馃憤
Not all DLR lights have front and back, most are just front

1 - 20 of 20 Posts