Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve noticed that my rear passenger footwell is soaking (as are many other Capturs according to the many posts) I have read all other posts and there doesn’t seem to be a conclusive answer as to the cause. If anyone knows of an answer, please could you share it with me?
Also does anyone know how to remove a footwell plug from under the car?

Thanks for reading, Fingers crossed someone can help me.

Susie

·
Registered
732 Posts
If the front footwells and boot floor are dry, and the water is only in the rear, it is most likely coming in from the door or the sill (the fixed box section step below the door). Under both of these are drain holes with black rubber bungs in. Try removing these to see if there is any water collecting there. Shouldn't be too difficult. Let's try to stop the water getting inside in the first place. Any plugs in the footwell will be under the carpet and upholstery. Not easy to get at any more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the front footwells and boot floor are dry, and the water is only in the rear, it is most likely coming in from the door or the sill (the fixed box section step below the door). Under both of these are drain holes with black rubber bungs in. Try removing these to see if there is any water collecting there. Shouldn't be too difficult. Let's try to stop the water getting inside in the first place. Any plugs in the footwell will be under the carpet and upholstery. Not easy to get at any more.
Yes they are all dry, even down to the spare wheel. I will try to look at the sills this weekend when I have some light. I’m not great are car things, but I like to give it a go! I have read on a few threads that people have said they removed the footwell plugs from under the car (I may have read it wrong) but they don’t look like they are removed from under the car.

Many thanks for your reply, it has been very helpful.

Susie

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have read on a few threads that people have said they removed the footwell plugs from under the car......
Yes that might be correct. Haven't done it, but that will not solve the problem if water continues getting that far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi twodogs

I removed the sill plugs yesterday on the passenger side and water was under all of them but the front two plugs let out flowing water! I checked on the dry side (drivers) and it was completely dry. I also cut the carpet to remove the footwell plug. The water in the footwell was about an inch deep!
Where does the water get into the car from the sill?
I also stick some wire down the scuttle drains which were slightly blocked.

Susie

·
Registered
732 Posts
Water in sills is all too common and in my view is poor design. Quite often the seal between the bulkhead and the sills are the culprit. Power washing can also be a cause. If they don't stay dry I would leave the plugs out. Not ideal but better than sloshing water. Same with the doors.
Yes it was a good idea to check the scuttle drains. If these block up you will have water in the front footwells, and possibly electrical damage as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts