Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this rattling sound before?

Rattling sound

We went for a trip out yesterday and did about 300 miles round journey. Before the journey the oil was checked which was fine and the coolant was checked which was fine. Did the journey and nothing seemed amiss but this morning when we went to use the car it had this rattling sound. Turned the engine off asap. Checked the oil, still fine. Checked the coolant and it was empty.

I've filled the coolant up again.

Before I fork out and get a recovery van to get it to the local garage does anyone have a ball park idea what it could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum , just above the gearbox you should see that the rad hose connects to a plastic thermostat housing and these crack, ebay lists them, just search for captur thermostat housing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately my knowledge with cars these days is very limited, especially with something like this.

In your opinion would it be drivable to get it to the garage which is about 15 miles away or would it be better to get it towed?

Tour help is much appreciated

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No!
If it is not holding water then you are risking a very very large bill, damage to the head gasket and more

Have you not got Renault assist or breakdown insurance,if you have then call them out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll get it towed tomorrow.

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thought I'd update this thread for future reference.

The problem in the end was the timing chain. It had lost tension apparently. The chap at the garage said we were lucky in a way as it could have done more damage to the engine.

I'm a bit confused how this would happen because the car is serviced every year and from my understanding timing chains shouldn't need changing if the car is maintained correctly.

The car has done 60,000 miles and is a 14 plate.

It's set us back £770 so I've had better weeks. No holiday for us this year ha.

Cheers Renault. Never liked your cars and this just cemented it.

Have a good day/week everyone

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
That's bad luck. If the car has been maintained to schedule by a Renault Dealer it may be worth contacting Renault Customer Services and inviting them to contribute to the repairs. A timing chain should not stretch or wear much and should last well over 100,000 miles before needing maintenance, so long as the oil is changed regularly and the filter is also changed for the correct specification at oil change time

·
Registered
677 Posts
For the record, what engine is your car? Renault don't give a life for a timing chain as they are "theoretically" unbreakable. But they can stretch or, more likely, the tensioner fails so they slacken (hence the noise). They can be noisy but still last forever... but I thought only TCE Capturs of that vintage had chains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts