Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone happens to have a way of contacting someone that isn't a customer services "manager" in Renault UK. I'll give a short outline of the problem then please feel free to say if I'm being entirely unreasonable. My Dad took delivery of a brand new Captur on 28th April, all PDC's done and passed. On the way home from the dealer, the car started beeping at him and the warning light flashing up that a door was open. He stopped at the first possible opportunity, reclosed all the doors, to no avail. He got home, I checked all the doors too, bonnet, everything. He took it back to the dealer, who thought being a pensioner he just couldn't work the technology. Long story short, it was faulty, and they have had it ever since. They also gave him a hire car for which he had to leave a deposit (another bone of contention), and apparently its the rear passenger door lock at fault, which they ordered, on the same day. After two weeks we got fed up waiting, contacted Renault UK to be told the part was on back order, and they had nonotification of when it would be, they would contact me again next week.... same week after, and same again today, we have no idea when the part will be, but continue to prioritise and escalate this issue for you. Four and a half weeks later, his brand new car is still sat at the dealership, unable to lock, and customer services "managers" are quite happy to work in terms of weeks at a time, with no timescale. Is it just me, or is that not a ridiculous situation? They mean to tell me that in the four and a half weeks since that the factory has fitted no passenger door locks? They haven't had a single delivery? So no cars have rolled off the production line? Sorry but I don't buy it, so I'm looking for any way to go further up the chain, they seem quite prepared to wait it out. Any opinions welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Weeman

Sounds as though the current production run of door locks is going straight into new cars and they have no spares holdings.

Unless your Dad is really, really keen on the Captur then you might like to consider rejecting the car as unfit for purpose. That might focus the minds at Renault or the dealer to come up with a solution (like taking a lock out of an existing car or a demonstrator).

I would be inclined to speak to Citizens Advice or your local Trading Standards folk because it looks as though Renault/your dealer have failed miserably to deliver on their side of the contract.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Peter, thanks for the welcome and reply. The problem he has is its a motability car which he ordered back in January, so we have no real clout or bargaining power as everyones mantra is you just have to wait (Renault already have their money for it and its like a second class citizen feeling). They tried two different locks out of other cars on the first day, which didn't work or didn't fit, not entirely sure, which I still don't understand. I know everybody with a fault would say this, but how difficult can it be to get hold of a door lock/part inside four and a half weeks, even from the production line. Its bad business sense, never mind the bad advertising with the amount of people who now know that for a brand new car there don't seem to be any spares. Am a little frustrated to say the least, not least because I know when he does get the car back, the shine will be off it and the buzz of a new car we should get wont be there.

·
Super Moderator
2,687 Posts
Welcome to the joys of Renault's customer "service". I'm just hoping I don't have any issues with my Captur when it arrives.The time you have been waiting for a fix is totally unreasonable and you should demand immediate action. I don't know how the motability scheme works, but maybe you should contact them and insist on a refund. Writing to Renault UK seems pointless as the Directors just palm the letters on to customer services and don't want to respond directly to their customers.
I don't know if there are any consumer TV programmes; in the past you could threaten to contact Watchdog or That's Life if a satisfactory conclusion is not reached quickly.

Just had a thought - one of WhatCar magazine's staffers is on this forum.... name something like Torquespeak from memory, or try the magazine's own website (or buy a copy and contact them by phone/e-mail)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think spares are very hard to come-by. I have had a replacement Medianav box on back order, as the dealer could not get the original one working, after a software update. The wait was estimated at 5-10 working days. That time is now up, and no sign of the replacement.
There may be a strategic plan to push out the cars, as demand appears to be outstripping production. However, that view is short-sighted, in my opinion, as it is leaving a lot of disgruntled customer with a back-log of repairs. That may have a knock-on effect as people might think twice about buying a brand new model. Their next car may well be a new, existing (tried and tested)model from a different manufacturer.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sadly Renault seem to have no idea of the concept of Customer Service.......all the problems owners have raised, from mud flaps to mpg gauge sticking to windscreen wipers and now door locks are just treated with the standard response..... Technical are looking for a solution...!And they are still turning out faulty cars...
Perhaps we owners with faults should all take them back under " not fit for purpose" .... That should get some action..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Weeman

Go to the top with your complaint - contact details as follows:

Mr Ken Ramirez

Managing Director

Renault UK Limited

The Rivers Office Park

Denham Way

Maple Cross

Rickmansworth

Hertfordshire

WD3 9YA

Although I have not had any problems with my Captur (got it Nov 2013) when I had my Toyota Yaris and the front disc brakes became badly scored afer less than 5000 milesthe dealership tried to blame my driving. When I contacted the MD of Toyota UK, within a week I had a call from the dealership very apologetic, they arranged to collect my car, leaving me with a hire car, they replaced the discs, gave the car a full valet, delivered it back and threw in a tank of fuel.

So unless you ask you never know

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone, took delivery of a Captur April 3rd, was back at dealer being repaired (fuel gauge & alarm) eventually after a few visits to the dealer I rejected the car and ordered a new Scenic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all, thanks for the replies, apologies for the delay in replying. I have contacted Motability previously and they seem quite happy to take Renault at their word, in asking the motability person how long she thought was reasonable, she said well as long as it takes to fix. An attitude I don't really get, they work as a fleet hire operation in effect, so they are buying the car, are paying for a car they haven't got and their customer hasn't got. But anyway, maybe I'm old fashioned aboutthings such as not issuing cars to market that you don't have spares for and cant fix! Do you think the letter to Mr Ramirez might work? Someone said (Ivor above) the directors just pass any letters they get back to customer services? To be fair to the dealer I've finally managed to get onto someone decent who is chasing it up (finally!) the problem however lies with Renault, there isn't actually much she can do. Thanks for your all your input so far, even if all I can do is raise awareness that there appears to be no spares, I'll feel a little better

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Weeman

I would certainly write to the head of Renault UK - most newspapers like this sort of story as well.....

·
Super Moderator
2,687 Posts
If you have a warning saying that a door is open when it isn't, the garage should check that the lock is OK and confirm that it is just an electircal problem with the door-closed sensor/switch. If this is the case, then the car should be deemed as safe to drive, and you should be OK to use it whilst the part is placed on back-order. I'd be surprised if it is the door lock at fault; usually there is a separate switch that operates when the door is opened, and it is probably this which is faulty or needs adjusting. I suppose that it's possible that the switch is integrated with the lock though.

Edit: Had a thought: If you set the interior lights to come on when the door is opened, were they on all the time or did they go off when the door was closed, even if the door-open light stayed on?

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
84 Posts
A thought on the spares availability situation.

I have owned Renaults since 1961 and my Captur is number 23.

In the sixties I knew someone who worked for Renault in the parts department at Acton and I was told that spares were flown in every night to an airfield in Kent and spares were available for every model built since the war.

To date I have never had any availability problem, everything required was obtained in 48 hours or so.

As I shall require a windscreen I will see what the current situation is.

I find it surprising that a pollen filter was required for a first service and was not available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ivor, I'm not entirely sure if its the lock or the sensor, the upshot is it wasn't safe to drive or leave anywhere. With the car, for whatever reason, sensing a door open, it couldn't be locked or alarmed so anyone trying their luck could have emptied it in a car park, or made off with it and the insurance would have laughed. We never actually got the chance to check the interior lights or anything, it arrived home, we shut and reshut all the doors and took it straight back. As for the spares situation I always understood that for every so many cars built, they had a "car" of spares but the situation would appear to be that they have an order book that's too full so just pushing the cars out.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would suggest Avery nice email to the head of renault uk

He will pass it on but The fact he has passed it down will have some effect

I might even suggest he take a look at the Captur Forum for both good and not so good reviews

He has only been in the role a few months and I am sure he would like to see customers feeling happy

Lyn

Edited by: LynG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi LynG, thanks, I was hoping someone may have an email ad for him, am drafting a letter at the moment but email is much more immediate instead of wondering if a letter arrives etc etc for some strange reason, given Renaults excellent customer service (!) email for directors and MD's is very hard to come by! lol

·
Registered
924 Posts
Renault have their own Captur forum.
You will find the forum under "my Renault". You have to log on to gain access to it, so it is impossible for me to give the direct link.

Login link

http://my.renault.co.uk/

·
Registered
921 Posts
weeman said:
Hi LynG, thanks, I was hoping someone may have an email ad for him, am drafting a letter at the moment but email is much more immediate instead of wondering if a letter arrives etc etc for some strange reason, given Renaults excellent customer service (!) email for directors and MD's is very hard to come by! lol

Try [email protected]

That should hopefully get there

Can I suggest a very nice but informative email they tend to work better than anything
Let me know how you get on

1 - 20 of 24 Posts