Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just walked over the road from me to the tyre place opposite had a word got a brand new five spoke alloy plus part worn tyre 100 pounds.makes it a bit different from the 250 pounds I was quoted for a Renault spare I think.
I will sort a jack out later at least the AA man can change the wheel for me till then.
plus that gunk can stay in the boot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are you saying if you don't have spare tyre there is no jack....we have spare tyre...think the loss of mpg is worth it

·
Registered
215 Posts
were getting the spare tyre option, kerb your alloys and damage the tyre side wall and your repair kit will be useless

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
best thing is to get the spare tyre option.saves a lot of grief later.if you put that gunk in your tyre then its a new tyre .garages will not bother to get the stuff out of the tyre to repair it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just as a matter of interest - when was the last time anyone on this forum had a puncture? When did you last time need to use your spare tyre?

I do about 20000-25000 miles a year, about 2/3 of itall overEurope, some motorway, some A & B roads. Last time I had a puncture was 23 years ago in Crowborough High Street in East Sussex (just a little aside - I was outside this huge detached house with the guy standing at the window, watching me in my finery as I was coming from a meeting, get the tyre, jack up the car and change it, I think he thought I was a feminist - not when it comes to changing tyres)

Anyway, I digress, back to whether we need spare tyre or not...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I got a tyre with the car as it's an automatic, but if I hadn't, then I would have bought one!

I agree with those of you who have bought the spare, whether new or old...It IS the right option!

As to who has had a flat? I have been on the forum from almost the beginning, and there have been a few members who have had bad luck....but it's a case of you cannot forsee it!! You can do thousands of miles or drive out of the dealership and be unlucky.

My opinion is that if you have money to burn, and you feel that it is unnecessary, then ok, gunk in an emergency will do the trick...but the tyre will be a 'throw away job'.
It comes down to that...a choice....that Renault has given you..

Good call getting a second hand wheel with part worn tyre though in my opinion!!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vbl i got a puncture the first week i got the car.never had one for about 6years before that.always had a spare sods law mate soon as i don't have a spare puncture lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
Like to drive through France, but don't fancy it without the added safety net of a spare tyre.
£95 for a spare and to replace a punctured Michelin 17 ", once you have the gunk injected into it would probably be about £130-. ( A straight forward puncture repair only being about £ 20 ).
It's a no brainer despite the added weight.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am quite happy to settle for the extra weight and mpgknowing I got a spare in the boot thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts