Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right thought I'd post this up here as I couldn't find any answer as to whether it's possible to take out the radio/CD player in the expression+ model and retrofit a Medianav unit.

Simple answer is yes it's possible and it's quite straight forward. In short I've just done the retro fit myself and it's working fine.

I got a great condition 2016 medianav unit from ebay and bought a generic GPS aerial with a 'fakra' connector on it.

* Ease off the radio CD surround.
* disconnect heater controls.
* undo 4 torx screws holding in radio CD player.
* gently pull out radio and disconnect cables.
* pull off the A pillar trim by the windscreen (passenger side).
* stick GPS module on A pillar high as you can.
* feed GPS cable down and into the head unit area.
* connect all cables (including GPS) to the replacement medianav.
* screw in the head unit using the torx screws.
* reconnect heater controls to fascia.
* reattach head unit fascia and A pillar trim.

I had made a note of the serial number of the medianav unit so a code could be entered on the unit to unlock it. Used an app on my phone for this.

I'm not expecting the eco options to work on the unit the temperature isn't shown but the sat navigation and maps along with media player are working great. Dab radio isn't working although fm is, so that might be just a antenna issue (ie need a different one) but I'm not that fussed about dab. I now have the features I wanted :)

Hope that helps anyone wondering if it's possible!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi New here! i have bought a mid range captur 63 plate and aim to replace the radio cd with a 2017 media nav unit
i popped the radio out to look and have the 2017 nave display and metal box unit do you know if i need the actual loom too?
as it seems the radio buttons are part of the dash facia i have just ordered that but i think i will need the radio loom?]
i am a vehicle tech / mostly on renault trafic vans so i am assuming it is going to be a ball ache!

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
i am a vehicle tech / mostly on renault trafic vans so i am assuming it is going to be a ball ache!
Correct !

I don't think that the base model has a GPS sensor so the navigation function on the MediaNav unit will almost certainly not work if you upgrade the standard head unit. You'll need new trim pieces for the infotainment system and centre console - if you want to ungrade the standard head unit, why not go for something completely non-Renault and get a better after-market unit ? If you can find a single-DIN sized one, it may even save having to alter the trim pieces on the centre console too

·
Registered
22 Posts
so far i have 2 versions of satnav (oem ones) one fits in my housing and has the power button volume and a usb in the top the second one req's a replacement facia which i have ordered as the power volume and usb are on the fascia so guessing the loom too the factory gps sensor on a captur is above the speedo and the aerial and dab aerial on the roof with a separate coax they have been ordered will put some pics and part numbers up when i have done it

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
OK, good luck. It will be interesting to see if you need a separate GPS receiver and if you have to wire it into one of the connectors in the loom

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, good luck. It will be interesting to see if you need a separate GPS receiver and if you have to wire it into one of the connectors in the loom

I will post pics of the plugs on my standard bluetooth radio and the plugs to the nav i would be interested if anyone has a pic of the rear of the nav units with the plugs shown and what they are for?

·
Registered
22 Posts
has anyone tried to power up a satnav kit on the bench? the version with the separate display / radio box unit / power -volume and home button and the telematics and dynamics unit and the usb/aux remote socket?
what signals does unit need to power up? power -ground -multiplex-dash coms?
any help info?
i have the loom /wiring from a car and all the components?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts