Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a year old Captur that has develloped rust on the rear brake drum outer housing. Was just wondering if anybody else has noticed this on there car and what they have done about it .

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
This has been covered recently. Some members take the wheels off and repaint them. Others, myself included couldn't care less. It would take a decade to rust through

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Yup, I have noticed rust on the rear brake drums but fall into the "couldn't care less" camp identified by grumpy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a year old Captur that has develloped rust on the rear brake drum outer housing. Was just wondering if anybody else has noticed this on there car and what they have done about it .
Had exactly the same problem on my new ex demo ,......I asked the dealership to sort it & they said they couldn’t as it was a common problem .
I took the wheel off , wire brushed the rust & cleaned the hub casing , treated it with hammerite Kurust & then hand painted it with Hammerite Hammered silver colour , let it dry & put wheel back on .....looks like new again ....job done with no thanks to Renault dealership .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had exactly the same problem on my new ex demo ,......I asked the dealership to sort it & they said they couldn’t as it was a common problem .
I took the wheel off , wire brushed the rust & cleaned the hub casing , treated it with hammerite Kurust & then hand painted it with Hammerite Hammered silver colour , let it dry & put wheel back on .....looks like new again ....job done with no thanks to Renault dealership .

AEDE5D97-31B5-4A4D-A474-694A18E1B2E8.jpeg
1A82E012-2B5B-488B-A8A4-851066A01602.jpeg

(

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
A few hours well spent. If I get time in the summer I'm tempted to have a go at mine, they're factory-finished black though, not silver

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not so easy to do mine as they are of the finned variety. If I do I'll change them from silver to black. So,for the moment I'm in the "couldn't care less" camp.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine are finned with no signs of corrosion whatsoever. Maybe it's the salt on your roads. Dust, however, here is another matter. And lots of it. I didn't realise before I bought the captur how many cars still have drum rear brakes. I suppose it's obvious but all my previous cars have been larger for years, and all with discs on the rear. Small car, drum rears and a proper handbrake suit me perfectly. Just wish there was more room for the dogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Ah yes - mine are finned too, hadn't noticed the design change.

Many cars run rear drum brakes since a majority of braking effort is done my the front wheels - and don't forget that under braking, weight is "transferred" forwards with vehicle momentum, so the rear wheels carry comparatively little weight during braking. Supposedly lightly used drums are less trouble and easier to maintain than discs (and no doubt, cheaper) hence manufacturers use them when they can. And I fully agree with twodogs that a "proper" handbrake is so much better than the electric variety which appears to be an answer to a question that nobody asked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts