Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I collected my Captur last Friday (Sept 27) and am delighted with it.Except for one thing.
Postcodes (on the media nav) cannot be entered in their entirety unless you pay Renault 65 Euros for the upgrade.
Robin Hood robbed the rich to give to the poor, Renault appear to be doing the reverse.
Will I be paying /// NO ///
Will I consider another Renault. Doubtful.
I love the car. However the underhanded way of reaping more money from unsuspecting customers is nothing short of daylight robbery.
Renault you've done the dirty on me once. You won't get a second chance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"65 Euros for the upgrade." for upgrade what ? a maps ? Latest Maps guarantee in free update option for Medinav users... It can be done vai USB and PC

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think this was a fault on behalf of your dealer. One of the first things my dealer mentioned when I said I liked the look of the media nav was that it will not take a full post code. Take it or leave was my option.
It is nice to have extras but at the end of the day you are buying a car not a Hi-Fi system or navigation. If you are delighted with it then that should be your answer.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I didnt know that there was a "postcode" update for the Medianav,I too was disappointed to find that there was no postcode recognition on Medianav.....I just find the full address instead!
This isnt enough to put me off the Captur though it makes up for that shortfall in other areas!
Bit of a surprise though nonetheless especially on UK cars!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the same issue with my previous car (Peugeot 3008) hence one of the reasons for up grading to the R Link. It was so frustrating that I sometimes ended up using the sat nav on my smart phone which was better.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The Medianav has partial postcode recognition which then gives a scroll down choice for the full postcode,its a strange one but it is there............not paying out for the "fix".......... if enough people generate enough negative to it Renault could well add it free to any further Medianav updates

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TCEddy. Worst part is I gave in from pressure from my better half and downloaded the "Fix", it cost me £53 and I still don't have full postcodes. Waiting for Media nav to contact me re problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Wiganmike
I found it a bit odd as well but as long as you enter street and number where there is a street number, I find it pretty accurate. Found a bit of an issue on trading estates/business parks where you don't get a street number but it gets me close enough to work it out for myself :) I've had worse plug-in Sat-Nav's that have taken me on wild goose chases with the full post code ! Certainly don't see any need to pay for any sort of upgrade ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the car last Friday and have just discovered that you can not enter the fullpostcode for a destination
If I had known this together with other failings such as no speed limit displayed except on motorways (this is really useful as Iwas unaware of themotorway speed limit), annoyinglyloud speed camera warning (2 per camera), problems with updating maps (hours of wasted time), no courtesy glove box light on a top of the range model, all the bells and whistles that will never be used waiting to fail, problems with compatibilityof mobile etc.

I would not be driving my 5th Renault

It really is a poor show, shame on you Renault

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Superbladesman all I can say is that you obviously did not do your homework well enough!
The information about the lack of glovebox light on RHD models was common knowledge..If you had purchased the TOP specification R link you would have got what you wanted.
There are still some small teething problems with Tom Tom, but the system is excellent and WITH post codes..
So, maybe next time you ask...first?

·
Registered
409 Posts
For the amount of use I give the Medianav sat nav I dont feel its a real problem. The system allows four digits of a post code. Do that and this will put you within range of your destination on the screen. If you know your destination, tap the screen and the satnav asks you if you want to use it as your destination, job done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your positive commentsI have not had a car that did not have a courtesy light in the glove since the last century, never had to question as it had either.
All my last 5 cars with satnav used post codes for navigating to but this is a total load of rubbish, where you can enter coordinates which is just ideal because we allhavethese in our head for any destination.
You expect improvements not retrograde steps when it does not even display speed limits for the road being traversed.
Must be nice to be so smug

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry to hear your so pi...d off about it but you should really have looked into it more, especially the R-Link and what that gives you above the Nav. I have R-link and don't feel smug, I asked lots of questions and had a good play with it before I decided that the 450 quid was going to be money well spent.....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree with you Frosty....it isn't a case of being smug...I have had a lot of cars without any of these things and have used a portable Garmin unit for many years. When it came to my FIRST NEW CAR, I decided that I wouldn't skimp on the extras tbat I wanted, as it would probably be the ONLY new car I would ever have or need. Therefore, I looked at lots of cars, asked a lot of questions and did a bit of homework before making my choice.
It so happens that I am often in my son's cars, which are in a different league to my new Captur, but for the money, I am delighted with what I have.
I think there are many things that we don't need and now expect in cars....it all depends on priorities...I've said it many times on this forum before!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree - research is the key... My dealer pointed out the differences between media nav and r link when I purchased it, I then made an informed decision that the media nav was enough for me. The glovebox light is an omission definitely, but how many times do you actually, honestly use the glovebox, let alone at night? I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, just that we all do our own research and every car has something that we would actually like to be there, and part of the research is can we live with the shortcomings... ? As I say, unless you're navigating to every destination, then the media nav is good enough. If not, buy the upgrade or buy the r link!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not wishing to inflame a debate on Medianav v R Link and not knowing the "split" at which one the members on here have installed I am glad I didnt opt for the R Link.......I say this as if you read through the number and complaints on here in regard to R Link......it has to be said that Medianav is the more reliable system of the two.......not saying some have not had problems with Medianav but it seems a simple fact that to anyone reading our Forum......R Link is unreliable and an expensive add on that generates more negative posts and comments than Medianav.......Im not running and hiding but these are my honest opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
59 Posts
While it's good to have one with a bit of an edge to it I think this thread illustrates the danger of this forum. If we only voice our complaints and niggles here then we are playing right into Renault's hands. They can sit back and claim there are no negative comments coming their way about the Captur, and they're right!! Instead they are all on this forum! We owe it to ourselves and one another to log all our grumbles and problems with Renault Customer Services. Only then will they take seriously the omissions from Media Nav, the problems with R-link, sludge under the doors, lack of continuous outside temperature display, glovebox light etc etc. We love our Capturs but maybe by working together we can make the Captur an even better car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the dealer had pointed this out I would not be driving a Captur because unlike some I do not have the luxury of£450 to waste on something (postcode search) whichis expected tobe provided as standard

1 - 20 of 89 Posts