Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..this might sound a dumb question.. what is under the removable seat covers?? On mine when I had a look ..out of curiosity.. I WAS expecting a properly finished seat but mine isn't..is this the norm..if so ..what happens when people remove them for washing and have this rough looking seat on display..so shoddy renault or am I being a bit nieve. If this topics been discussed before..Apologies.
meterman_56

·
Registered
924 Posts
Removable seat covers have Zips around the edges. Only certain models has this option. They have to be washed as 30 deg. C. The seats can't really be used until the covers have been returned, so some people have bought a second set, as great expense. Though some have blagged deals.
Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
34 Posts
It says in the manual that the seat covers can be washed a maximum of five times at 30 degrees and that the seats should not be used without the covers on.
I suppose you could get a generic cheap seat cover set to use just when the proper ones are in the wash / drying.Edited by: sotty

·
Registered
741 Posts
Can I ask what the OP expected; try removing cushion covers or sofa covers at home and see what you have underneath, it certainly won't be a lovely finished cushion, it will be the lining, much like the seats on your Captur.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Noticed on Renault UK website sets of seats covers are very expensive........much more than the £120 quid I was quoted when I ordered my Captur........will it be an item that will be price exploited as owners swap and change......it looks like it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you ordered a specific set as an upgradethen you paid the difference on price to the originals (althoughI thought they were £100), if you ordered an extra set you got a bargain

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
HTP99 said:
Can I ask what the OP expected; try removing cushion covers or sofa covers at home and see what you have underneath, it certainly won't be a lovely finished cushion, it will be the lining, much like the seats on your Captur.
+1;
I expect that the scrapyards will soon cotton on (sorry for the pun!) to the idea of selling the seat covers off as a set, though ! I've already seen one Captur advertised as scrap for repair with a nastily crumpled bonnet and front; from the number plate, looks like it may have been one of the press/demo cars

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another point that concerns me about these "washable" seat covers... my wife pointed out that when you've washed cushion covers and put them back on..the zips tend to pucker and so dont look right. Can I ask has anyone of our members actually washed a set..and were their any such problems??
meterman_56

·
Registered
924 Posts
If, as someone says you can only wash them 5 times, it will be about a year before I wash mine. Unless I have a disaster and spill my drink.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have washed my front seat covers (due to my brother spilling coke on the seat Rrrrr) and washed fine - easy enough to put back on, can't tell the difference with the back seats covers that have never been removed.

Hope this helps!
Sarah

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, like Sarah, we've washed the complete set of seat covers from What Car?'s long term Captur.

Really impressed with how small the bundle of covers is - they'll easily go in any washing machine. As per Sarah's experience, we can't see any difference at all once back on. The material and zip seem to be very hardy and were not distorted by the wash.

That said, you do of course need to follow the instructions. If someone doesn't bother and ends up washing them at 50 or 60, plus a tumble dry (also not allowed), then I'd imagine the result wouldn't be quite as successful!

What I would like to know is whether anyone purchased an extra set of covers when they got their car (or whether they have done so since). I know that the cost of an 'upgrade' beyond the standard charcoal/grey combo is £100 at the time of ordering, but what have people been quoted for a whole new set as a spare/replacement?

Here's our full update on the seat cover wash, dated April 18 for those who are interested:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/april/1288852

All the best,

Ed

·
Registered
69 Posts
My friend was quoted £250 for a new set from the dealer, so instead, when I ordered my Captur, I asked for a second set, which was charged at £100. Due to late delivery, I managed to get it as a freebie, then just passed it on.

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
awq said:
what happens after the 5th wash ?
?
?

They self destruct.

I suppose after so many washes the overall quality might degrade. However, surely with a 30 degree wash it should hypothetically last a little longer than 5 washes?

I cannot speak for most people, but after 3/4 years I'll be PX'ing my Captur for either another Captur or Renault so even if I wash mine once every years I should still have some life left in them and make them presentable when the time comes to part ways.

I think the idea of having wet wipes for the odd accident is the best idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just been told a replacement set of seat covers is £265 (inc. VAT).

Would you order a spare set at that price?

My own view is that if you wanted to refresh the whole cabin (ie, just before selling the car), or you needed to replace a cover because of irreparable damage, this is probably much cheaper than any alternative solution.

Interested to hear your views, though.

Ed from What Car?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts