Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife's 2014 Captur makes a groaning noise when going over speed bumps, does it need to shock absorbers? When I checked the OSF shock the gaiter/dust cover has perished, is this an MOT failure?
Any recommendations on where to get replacements if needed and are these easy to swap?
Thanks in advance.
Tony

·
Registered
80 Posts
How many miles? Noise could be shock mounts, stabilizer (anti-roll) bar, tie rods, steering - anything with a rubber bush or other joint in it. Often difficult to tie down without a ramp and a good look around with a crow bar. It will probably pass MOT but if not they will have identified it for you. Personally I'd go for the tie rods and stabilizer bar every time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi, its done 55k miles. As a minimum I need to replace the shock absorber gater so may as well do the shocks at the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
As I need to replace the shock absorber gaiter in order to pass the MOT, does anyone have any idea how easy it is to take the shock absorber out? Seems the top of the strut is under the windscreen scuttle with the windscreen wipers, looks tricky but possible and I assume I will also need a spring compressor?
Regards
Tony

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes you will need a spring compressor. Give me as much data as you can about the car - build type (J***), engine type and I might be able to find some more info. Message me separately with your email address.

NOTE: Probably don't need the car data - I can do a generic sift with a few assumptions of my own. Just found out there is a SAMSUNG suspension system as well as a RENAULT one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts