Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
It's my first post in forum,had few probems in the past but happily solve them here. I spent some time searching but didn't find a similar topic so here I go.

I'm a happy user of 14 plate TCE 1.2 Auto EDC from almost 2 years,

I have one problem that I can't solve, very strong smell of petrol in oil.
Three months ago I done the service and the old oil had the smell of petrol, changed for new and just after few weeks it came back.
Last year I had the same smell but I ignored it, now it's time to fix that as I think petrol in engine oil could make some issues in future.
Most of the time im doing very short routes 2 miles one way to work + some shopping, but even after a long ride smell remains.
Any ideas how it's getting there and how can I solve the problem?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Could be just crankcase gases, made worse by short journeys. Is there any indication the oil level is increasing? If not, it's unlikely it's being diluted by fuel. Maybe check crankcase ventilation....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick response,

Oil lvl is not increasing or doing it very slowly, it's on almost max lvl just like after last service

I'll check crankcase ventilation

It's possible that because of the short trips the choke has been on for most of the time
So should I be worried about it, how can I stop getting it to the oil?

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
If the car is only doing short journeys and therefore the fuel mixture is "rich" a lot of the time, just change the oil more often if the smell is bothering you..... maybe every 6 months instead of annually

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I'm writing an update in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

Maybe check crankcase ventilation
Checked, all good no leaks.

If the car is only doing short journeys and therefore the fuel mixture is "rich" a lot of the time, just change the oil more often if the smell is bothering you..... maybe every 6 months instead of annually
I know it's a common problem on short journeys, but I'm bit worried as it turns black with the smell just after about 3 weeks.
It gave me an idea and then I want to check the MAP sensor, any ideas how to check condition of it?

Also from googling the issue on 1.2 tce lot of people are recommending new spark plugs, I gonna change them as well as the oil and I'll check is it helps.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There are videos on youtube on how to clean one, with a MAP sensor cleaning spray,
There are more extensive videos on how to electrically test one again youtube.
the sensor is quite cheap under £30 on ebay

Here's an example

1 - 7 of 7 Posts