Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new here and hope someone who's had this problem can help me?
Driving along quite happily the other day when I felt/heard something under pressure snap in the driver's footwell and on returning home found half a spring nestling in the driver's footwell.
On closer investigation, it's come off the clutch pedal and the remaining half of the spring is still connected to the pedal and dangling freely.
My local Renault dealer tells me their repair manual advises the job takes 1.5 hours - to reconnect a spring???!!!
I'd like to fix it myself as it surely can't be that difficult. Has anybody done this successfully and is happy to share their knowledge with this newbie, please?
Many thanks.
Steve.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
How much "springiness" is there in your clutch pedal now? I'd have thought it worth spending a few minutes trying to reconnect it yourself, if one end has simply come out of its retaining position. If it has snapped, surely a matter of buying a replacement and fitting it. As you say, 1.5 hours does seem excessive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much "springiness" is there in your clutch pedal now? I'd have thought it worth spending a few minutes trying to reconnect it yourself, if one end has simply come out of its retaining position. If it has snapped, surely a matter of buying a replacement and fitting it. As you say, 1.5 hours does seem excessive
Thanks Ivor, appreciate your response. The spring has snapped and one end is still attached to the pedal. I can't see where to attach the other end to, but assume it's somewhere in the footwell and accessible from inside the vehicle. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ivor, appreciate your response. The spring has snapped and one end is still attached to the pedal. I can't see where to attach the other end to, but assume it's somewhere in the footwell and accessible from inside the vehicle. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.(y)
Oh, and the pedal operates exactly as before, i.e. the broken spring has made no difference, which seems bizarre.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh, and the pedal operates exactly as before, i.e. the broken spring has made no difference, which seems bizarre.
Yes the pedal should return without the spring, but only as far as the clutch releases (and the hydraulics allows). Any backlash or looseness in the system will be taken up by the spring.

Sorry, can't look at mine for you as I have an auto. Can you not see a mounting point, using the length of the complete spring as an indicator? It will be somewhere on the frame of the pedal assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the pedal should return without the spring, but only as far as the clutch releases (and the hydraulics allows). Any backlash or looseness in the system will be taken up by the spring.

Sorry, can't look at mine for you as I have an auto. Can you not see a mounting point, using the length of the complete spring as an indicator? It will be somewhere on the frame of the pedal assembly.
Hello Twodogs and thanks for your response.

Hi twodogs and thanks for responding.
I think I’ve located the two anchor points - they are the white plastic tubes visible in the photo attached.
F88487A9-D611-4ADA-A9A6-4FE1C62B6D9C.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts