Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well what a headache. So it would appear that a box I had left in the rear passenger footwell in my Captur was ruined by soaking up water! So began my investigation....

I've pulled up the carpet and foam 'slabs' underneath the carpet on the passenger side and they are all utterly soaked (front and rear). I've now got the slabs hanging up to dry and keep sponging the floor dry.

Door seals I've had a look at (both front and rear) and they appear to be ok. Took the scuttle panel off the windscreen and whilst its a little dusty, the drainage ports are clear (flowing well) and there are no tide/water marks upto the gaping hole in the firewall for external air where other Renaults let in water.

When I pulled the plugs on the exterior underside, water gushed out.

I can't quite tell if it is coming from dashboard area as there's a thicker black piece of foam that obscures the metal floor and seems to be well fixed (or at least moulded) to the front end of the cabin. For now I've pulled what I can of it up and put a spray can underneath to let it 'air' a little!

Door areas themselves show no sign of water ingress (one of the pictures shows water above the cabling - that's me sponging up water).

Some pics attached. I'm still poking around with it, but if anyone has any pearls of wisdom they would like to share, they would be received with warm thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little update. No name change but have dried out the cabin, resealed the speaker surround on the passenger front door as that was letting small water in (between the plastic mount and the metal).

I've also removed one of the bungs underneath the car to let water flow out and have modified another with a series of holes.

Windscreen keeps steaming up a little excessively but that's probably because I also cleaned the entire interior and ended up putting more moisture in the cabin. It is starting to ease off now though.

I've also ordered some 2018 door seals (front and rear) in case it's them failing (although there's no evidence that they are) from a Captur being scrapped.

Heavy rain is due this week, so be interesting to see how it fares. Basically gone with sensible minor tweaks and seeing what difference it makes.

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
The usual tip for trying to locate leaks is to sprinkle a thin layer of talcum powder. Any traces of water leave their mark....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well what a headache. So it would appear that a box I had left in the rear passenger footwell in my Captur was ruined by soaking up water! So began my investigation....

I've pulled up the carpet and foam 'slabs' underneath the carpet on the passenger side and they are all utterly soaked (front and rear). I've now got the slabs hanging up to dry and keep sponging the floor dry.

Door seals I've had a look at (both front and rear) and they appear to be ok. Took the scuttle panel off the windscreen and whilst its a little dusty, the drainage ports are clear (flowing well) and there are no tide/water marks upto the gaping hole in the firewall for external air where other Renaults let in water.

When I pulled the plugs on the exterior underside, water gushed out.

I can't quite tell if it is coming from dashboard area as there's a thicker black piece of foam that obscures the metal floor and seems to be well fixed (or at least moulded) to the front end of the cabin. For now I've pulled what I can of it up and put a spray can underneath to let it 'air' a little!

Door areas themselves show no sign of water ingress (one of the pictures shows water above the cabling - that's me sponging up water).

Some pics attached. I'm still poking around with it, but if anyone has any pearls of wisdom they would like to share, they would be received with warm thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the exact same water ingress in our 2015 Captur. I removed all of the sill plugs. About three pints of water poured out. Rear passenger footwell carpet soaked. I think I'm just going to leave the first and last drain plug out of the bottom of the sill. I had an MGB years ago and restored the sills. They have similar drainage holes all of the way down under the sills. They are left open. So my theory is if water can get in AND then escape out, it's not a problem to worry about. ANY UPDATES WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have the exact same water ingress in our 2015 Captur. I removed all of the sill plugs. About three pints of water poured out. Rear passenger footwell carpet soaked. I think I'm just going to leave the first and last drain plug out of the bottom of the sill. I had an MGB years ago and restored the sills. They have similar drainage holes all of the way down under the sills. They are left open. So my theory is if water can get in AND then escape out, it's not a problem to worry about. ANY UPDATES WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS.
Hello,
Just wondering how you are getting on with the leak? Also could you let me know where to find the sill plugs?
Many thanks
Susie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts