Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been loads of messages about the start stop not working but I am completely baffled about mine. We picked the car up 10 months ago and it worked intermittently. We do roughly 20-30 miles each journey at a minimum but the start stop mode now hasn't worked for at least 4 months. We have tried switching it on and off whilst driving, doing all the checks like no air con etc, and have even taken it back to the garage who said it's showing no faults...I'm aiming the battery is fully charged due to the distance we travel. Can anyone suggest anything? Or has anyone else's stopped working completely? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
I don't have that issue; the EDC doesn't have stop-start. It also has a very, very small battery under the bonnet :-(

·
Registered
924 Posts
You will find that there are a whole list of exceptions that stop/start employs. Take a look in the handbook provided with the car, or take a look around this site. They are listed in full.
But in summary, the obvious ones are.

low battery charge (probably not in your case, judging by the description you offered).
Demand by the air conditioning. Hot weather, low temp setting on the dial.
Demand by the heater. Cold weather, high temperature setting.

·
Registered
405 Posts
IvorETower said:
I don't have that issue; the EDC doesn't have stop-start. It also has a very, very small battery under the bonnet :-(

It's all down to battery power, if it's a bit low stop start won't work. Volvo sussed the problem on the V40 they fitted an auxiliary battery to keep power to the SS system. My post on a different thread on the same subject.

Edited by: Goldy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments, I'll keep trying with it, don't use the a/c or have heaters on full, have seen the list of things and most of it don't really apply. Renault have said it could just be one of those things...grrr :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had much the same experience. Got the new Capture end of October and stop start worked nearly every time on a week's holiday to Aviemore and back (nearly 2000 miles), except on really cold mornings. Av mpg on this trip was a shade over 70, pretty good for a DCi running in we thought. previously we had the Clio ST DCi which did 63-64.

But since Feb it has stop-started less and less often, until now hardly ever works. The mpg has fallen to about the same as the Clio. Since we chose this model because of the better economy and cleaner emissions aided by stop start we took it back to the Renault dealer several times.

They did take it seriously, changed the contact switches on the pedals, remapped various engine ignition programmes on instructions from Renault UK etc, but to no noticeable positive effect. Finally we insisted on an evaluation by a Renault UK engineer, who had the Captur for a whole day at our dealers last month and drove it about 50 miles. According to his report, after downloading the record of our recent usage of the car, frequency of stop starts etc it is working to specification and will only function when the battery charge state is above 80%. The battery (70 amp hour) he claimed checked out OK. What he didn't mention was any check of alternator charge rate so could this be the problem? I know that the previous model Clio DCi's with no stop start option have only a 55 amp hour battery, so they have done something to up rate battery power in the Captur, but is it anything like enough?

It really worries me that after a 20 mile run to the dealers and standing overnight on their forecourt this engineer finds the battery at under 80% charge, which he implies is normal.

Is this vehicle fit for purpose? They advertise it as stop start, and it doesn't, only on the odd occasion after running 20 - 30 miles at a steady speed on faster roads. or do they assume we all do 70 on the motorway every day to keep the battery fully charged?

Low emission matters most in town and it doesn't work in town driving, that's clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think my stop start has worked once in the 5 months ive had it.took it back to the garage and they said it was due to the battery not being charged enough.so they connected my battery to god knows what to give it a full charge again.and guess what its still not working although the guys at reanult said it worked with them when they took it a test drive...think he was telling porkies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Janice,

Your experience has been very similar to mine, and after a full investigation by a Renault engineer sent by Customer Services in June 2014, no fault/reason for the lack of stop-starting was admitted by Renault.

So there I left it, after reporting very unfavouably on this feature to the Which? annual car reliabilty surveys of 2014 and most recently 2015, and to What Car.

Then, this autumn, as the weather cooled, stop-start began to work again! After the car has thoroughly warmed up, about 7 -10 miles in my experience, it works. This is when the ambient temperatures are in the range of 0 - 12 deg C outside. It is definitely temperature-related in some subtle way. Oh, this is when you have climate control permanently on, for me this set for 19 deg C inside the car. Since this is winter driving, lights and wipers etc are also on, and it still stop-starts.

This bears out something the senior mechanic at the dealers told me at the outset of this saga, he thought it was related to the temperaure sensors in the system which were factory set and they could not adjust. By the way, my brother in law has just got a new Golf diesel 1.6 and his stop-start works every time, grrrr... Yet I hear Bosch supplies the basic technology to most or all of the European built car manufacturers.

So, is yours working during the current cold weather?

Martin F (St Albans)

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
I think we just have to accept that the system fitted to the Captur contains 4 letters from the word "Captur" (leave out the "T" and the "U" and re-arrange the others... put the R" after the "C")
The system on my Ka works beautifully..... it cuts in sometimes when I have driven under a mile, and I've had it working with the external temperature gauge reading minus 3 deg C.

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
137 Posts
Since the cold weather really started since December I have noticed that the stop/start on mine works intermittently, Ive noticed that when the temperature reaches above 5 and the cars "warmed up" it does work. Prior to this Sept - Nov it worked all the time even on short journeys. Ive also noticed (and Ive posted in the mpg thread) that my mpg has dropped in the cold weather. Ive done 3500 miles since sept so the engine has just been run in. Roll on warmer weather March - Nov ?Its my first car with stop/start so I have nothing to compare it with but so far Im happy with it

·
Registered
388 Posts
My son and step son's both have Renaults with S/S, Scenic and Megane , and both have no trouble with it so , is it a different system on the Capture?

·
Registered
3 Posts
martin f... unfortunately it still isnt working.recharging the battery at the reanult garage didnt make any difference.
they did turn off the heating, radio etc off when testing it but it still didnt come on
maybe one day it will work when im least expecting it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine doesn't work all the time I have to do at least 20 miles then its available I have my ac heating on all the time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having read all the posts on this forum I've asked my local dealer to consider fitting a new battery, even though my car is only 5 weeks old! I'm taking it back in tomorrow for the second time, last time I was told that the battery charge was around 27%. How can that be on a brand new car!! The start/stop has worked only a handful of times since it was delivered, shockingly bad.
Renault Captur Signature 0.9TCE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the non working S/S problem about six months ago. Took car back to Arnold Clark's who replaced the battery. Problem slightly better but downhill slope again. Went over to Calais this weekend 600 mile round trip and the S/S worked once. We did not use the air con and minimal heating. To be quite honest I think it is a waste of time. It works when it feels the urge.
Anyway back to Clark's again probably to be told "There is nothing wrong"

·
Registered
388 Posts
I must be the only one with s/s working properly then? No problems with mine. I have the 1.5 diesel manual, had it from new since March 4th.

·
Registered
86 Posts
gavroche said:
I must be the only one with s/s working properly then? No problems with mine. I have the 1.5 diesel manual, had it from new since March 4th.
My .9 petrol is also working properly. Friend has had the problem and Itold him that even a light touch on the clutch pedal will not allow the s/s to kick in. Foot clear on stopping solved it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine works pretty much all the time, foot, fully off the clutch when stopped ( never use to do this but my old habit as changed now). Doesn't work when my air con is on or heating but does in climate control. Can't remember if it works in Eco mode because I haven't used this mode for a good while.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts