Renault Captur Forums banner

261 - 266 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Took mine to my local dealer today for intermittent "Check stop and start" notification. As stated in the handbook, take it to a dealer. Also have an issue with split rear door seals.... a known problem and a different thread. After extensive testing the guy came back and said he had found an issue with the aircon controller, which he had reprogrammed and also with the battery. He said his test showed that the battery was good, though it is only holding around 80% charge. This is one of the triggers for the stop start, but as his test says it's a good battery Renault would not replace the battery under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live on the Isle of Wight and was told, when I questioned the non-operaion of stop / start on my Captur Eco, that it is intended for motorways, not for driving round town! I have heard this, now, twice over the past few months, from the same dealership!

I recently went on a 1000 mile trip on the mainland (motorways 95% of the journey) and it worked just once. Since my return and another trip to the dealer, I have tried turning off various things in the car, bit by bit. Stop/start only works if I switch off everything in the car, apart from the engine, so no a/c, no basic fan, no sat-nav, no phone app, no music, no radio, no mileage limiter, no heat, etc.

Having bought the car (2014 model) this year, I think it is unfit for use on the grounds that its key selling point - eco start-stop - does not operate, by their own admission, in local non- motorway driving conditions around towns. 'Eco' is obviously a total nonsense because that is the very thing it does not do if the driver needs a little heat or cold air, still without everythibg else running as well... apart from the engine! The attraction in buying the car, living as I do on an Island 21 x 14 miles, was the car's eco facilities.

I also have problems with the fuel gauge not moving for over 120 miles - their answer: it will not work if you fill the tank to the cut off point on the pump. When I asked how much I know how much to put in, so as avoid tjis problem, they had no answer! (I'll put this on the appropriate forum page, but, along withe silly answer above, it shows how ridiculous Renault are, anw they insult their customers' intelligence!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wavey Davey Your battery deteriorates over time and it's capacity reduces accordingly. My Captur is the same age as yours and seldom does the stop start work now, see previous posts regarding this topic. A new battery will give 100% performance but natural deterioration over time reduces the capacity of the holding charge. In this state the battery is not at fault and is still capable of a decent performance.As for the fuel gauge I always fill mine up until I can't cram any more fuel in, so the tank reads full for several miles until the sensor is able to read below the full tank level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks - it is going into the garage on 20th July. I only acquired it from the dealership earlier this year anfd it should have had a full service prior to buying it (or an explanation that the use of parts of the driver facilities will prevent the key Eco system from working at all)..

Re fuel - the needle stays right at the top for about 120 miles, about a third of the tank, it seems from the fuel shown as being left in the tank, when I press the button to get a reading. This makes it difficult to judge with any certainty how much fuel is left, without keep pressing the button, whilst driving.

It seems that Renault have spent all their time with me telling me "what doesn't work / will not work / its all down to me", and absolutely no positive information at all! They have negative reasons for everything. even with the door auto lock system that doesn't always work - it does not work if you do it in this sequence... !

·
Registered
943 Posts
Must say again, S/S is not fit for purpose and should not be used as a selling point by Renault. I M O if it's advertised has having these type of extra's then they should work! I wonder what would be said if for example the AC only worked now and again. I might add I don't use S/S anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. I'm not sure why some of the mis-selling tv programmes have not jumped all over this issue. I've tried turning it off with the switch on the dashboard, but when you start the engine it automatically kicks in.

261 - 266 of 266 Posts