Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just getting used to our Captur (our first Renault), and after a week of ownership we are just getting used to some of its little quirks...

We have yet to use the 'stop/start' function hence is currently switched off, however on occasions when stood in traffic the engine does turn off but as soon as you touch the clutch it restarts again!

Anybody had similiar issues? Seems weird for it to selectively activate when the function should be disabled??!!

Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am not 100% sure but think stop/start has to be switched off every time engine is restarted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Capren said:
I am not 100% sure but think stop/start has to be switched off every time engine is restarted.
Yes that's correct. You can disable but it will enable by default on the next start-up. I am not that convinced that the start -stop system saves that much fuel I tend to switch mine off during heavy traffic

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I believe there are people out there can code the S/S function so that it's permanently disabled, if you wish.
It's just a line of code in the ECU, after all.
I effectively permanently disable it by resting my foot on the clutch a tiny amount when stopped
No,not enough to cause any wear and tear......before the 'urban myth/1970s thinking' brigade pipe up.

Edited by: bol d'or

·
Registered
952 Posts
bol d'or said:
I believe there are people out there can code the S/S function so that it's permanently disabled, if you wish.
It's just a line of code in the ECU, after all.
I effectively permanently disable it by resting my foot on the clutch a tiny amount when stopped 
No, not enough to cause any wear and tear......before the 'urban myth/1970s thinking' brigade pipe up.
And the 50/60s brigade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. We have never switched the function on at all so seems strange that it only activates occasionally. I think we will perhaps use it but currently just getting used to the feel of the car before we activate it.

Will have a good test at the weekend and see what happens

Just curious if there was a fault maybe and needs to go to Renault whilst we still have 10months manufacturers warranty remaining...

·
Registered
317 Posts
GranadaDan said:
Thanks for the replies. We have never switched the function on at all so seems strange that it only activates occasionally. I think we will perhaps use it but currently just getting used to the feel of the car before we activate it.

Just curious if there was a fault maybe and needs to go to Renault whilst we still have 10months manufacturers warranty remaining...
Hi it comes on by default so it will be on only off if you deactivate but then as said it will come on again when you restart the engine. I have several cars with 'Stop Start' and sometimes its hit or miss whether they come on. It depends on the state of the battery, or you have air con on, any components that draws a fair amount of current, also things like seat belt not on, handbrake on,clutch pedal down ....etc . I wouldn't be too concerned about it

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
There's so much confusion about how stop/start works.
Like people who think having the handbrake on or off makes a difference, for example.
I can assure people that is something that definitely does NOT affect S/S

·
Registered
212 Posts
GranadaDan said:

Hi I ran around in cappy for about a week before the s/s started function consistently, don't know if it was a low battery, car hadn't moved since del to dealer in Nov 16.

All seems fine now.Edited by: Sachadog

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
People thinking their S/S is faulty, when it's just ignorance on their own part, is clearly the bane ofdealers' lives.So much so that I noted my Nissan dealer has laminated A4 announcements on every desk at their service reception, explaining how S/S works.
People just need to accept that it will work when the conditions are right.
If it truly, never, ever, ever works...at that point go to the dealer.
If it works 'sometimes', it's fine and please don't waste your/their time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What would be even better is a switch that permanently disables it. I have to keep remembering to switch it off each time I get in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why would you want to permanently disable it ? If it works, happy days. If it doesn't, it's saved you the bother of switching it off

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
terryp said:
What would be even better is a switch that permanently disables it. I have to keep remembering to switch it off each time I get in.
EU law won't allow it.
But there are people will disable it permanently for you.
It doesn't form part of the MOT, so no-one would know or care.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Perhaps car manufacturers should fit two lights.The usual green light that comes on when the S/S works.
Another light that says "IT'S FINE" at other times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Ive given the Captur a good run today to Scarborough a 200 mile return trip, and got the hang of the stop/start function and all is working fine, so thanks for all the advice.

Everything else seems fine - the 1.5Dci engine is very smooth and quiet compared to the Ibiza we had previously with the awful 1.6CR Tdi engine.

The only minor niggle is the front passenger seat started creaking/squeaking when going over bumps/uneveness in the road so will need some further investigation....

Dan

·
Registered
952 Posts
GranadaDan said:
Well Ive given the Captur a good run today to Scarborough a 200 mile return trip, and got the hang of the stop/start function and all is working fine, so thanks for all the advice

Does this mean the S/S worked every time you stop ? Mine and others seem to work when they want !!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you get parked ok, last time we went it was a nightmare?
Nice run out for you, did you find it more comfortable than the seat? My stop start might work 4 or 5 times in succession on a journey then nothing for a few days. Stopped thinking about it now, just wish it was defaulted to the off position make life easy.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Houstahousey said:
Does this mean the S/S worked every time you stop ? Mine and others seem to work when they want !!
It's never going to work all the time, every time.
You think it works 'when it wants'
It actually works when the parameters allow.
Once you accept that, you can accept it's not faulty.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts