Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my start stop does not seem to work, I keep getting check stop start message, sometimes stop start not activated I see no dash light or light on in the switch.
Regards Ben Carver.

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
There are several reasons why it may not be operating listed in the drivers handbook. Most likely one is that the battery is not at a high enough state of charge - usually a result of short journeys. Has it ever worked? If you are happy with the state of the battery you could try disconnecting the battery sensor (small plastic two wire connector on the negative battery terminal), checking that it is in good condition, give it a clean and replace. If you have access to a modern (stop-start) battery charger, an overnight charge might help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I'm certain it's not a battery prob I regularly do 200ml trip. It has worked once or twice, I've only had the car a month so don't know what it's history is. Thanks for your reply.
Ben

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
^
The problem is that with "smart charging" the battery may not get fully charged. I've found (on my Fords) that by conditioning the battery, start-stop is usually re-activated; our Captur doesn't have start-stop (thank goodness)

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
^
The problem is that with "smart charging" the battery may not get fully charged. I've found (on my Fords) that by conditioning the battery, start-stop is usually re-activated; our Captur doesn't have start-stop (thank goodness)
I've come to the same conclusion. AGM batteries are very susceptible to charge condition (over and under charge).
While optimum charging cycles are achievable on the workbench with a smart charger this is difficult to obtain on the road, especially on short journeys or when the BMS is trying to manage fuel consumption and emissions at the same time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find that the cabin fan speed seems to affect whether the start/stop operates - even with a new battery. if the fan speed is low then it works, but if anything more than the two lowest speeds the start/stop does not cut in. Surprisingly night-time driving with full lights on doesn't seem to affect start/stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts