Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"turn steering wheel + start" error appeared with my Captur 1.5 diesel today.
I tried a previous posters suggestion by taking the cowling off and "tapped" silver box with hammer and it worked but every time I stop I got to tap the silver box.
What is the silver box?

Has it got something to do with all the rain this week ?, on the motorway on Tuesday I got engulfed by a wave of water from the opposite carriageway .
The silver box is making a clicking noise whilst I press the start button ,it is trying to unlock the steering, could the under bonnet fuse box be damp ?

I checked fuse 1 in glove box fuses and ok.

Can it be that the battery is too weak?

Never had the problem until today.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would see how it goes after you have recharged the battery or taken it on a longish run.

Stop hitting the steering lock unit, they will be expensive to replace

Reading all of the forum posts over the last year or so, it seems that Renault has designed the captur
not to allow you to drive the car with a low battery, due to it’s systems being very reliant on the battery power to maintain it’s safety systems.

It’s very annoying I know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
I did only tap the silver box, honestly.

Yes I read those too. That's what i was hoping for but what a nightmare yesterday.

Got to work ok but failed to start after work had to call RAC out. (other breakdown companies are available).

He checked battery said it was alright ( even though green dot had gone black). He took cowling off from steering column , he tapped the silver box too lol.

He tried to get the retaining screw out but could'nt. (there technical help line did'nt know either.(apparently Renault have'nt shared all information with them))

So got to be recovered but he could'nt do it.(I was parked between two parked cars) so had to send another recovery truck out (3rd party company)

I am waiting for phone call to tell me whether the recovery garage can repair or more likely got to go to Renault where I bought it from. Out of warranty.

Finished work at 1.30 pm got to recovery yard at 9pm. 10 miles apart from yard to work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes governor honestly honestly.

I will update as things happen.

thanks for the link.

Recovery garage cannot repair so onto Renault.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update
After Renault diagnostic check(£100) they have found fault. Broken electronic steering lock . All in repair, new ESL, labour and VAT £757.
Pick car up tomorrow.
No warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update
After Renault diagnostic check(£100) they have found fault. Broken electronic steering lock . All in repair, new ESL, labour and VAT £757.
Pick car up tomorrow.
No warranty.
My fault is exactly the same, captur doesnt release the lock and car doesnt start so i have to hammer the silver box under the steering wheel for it to release the steering wheel and start it. So whats the best way to go about it? Can i simply buy the part from ebay and relace it? Does it need coding? I bought a steering lock emulator and plugged the wire into that and car started but didnt release the steering wheel lock. Can you give me some advice please. There must be a cheaper alternative than to pay 700 quid? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only go for a recoded one on ebay,it should just plug and play and Reinitialise itself.

Thanks for that, i have already bought an emulator. I might remove the steering lock completly and just add the emulator. Any idea if the steering wheel is easy enough to remove and replace?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that, i have already bought an emulator. I might remove the steering lock completly and just add the emulator. Any idea if the steering wheel is easy enough to remove and replace?
Steering lock easy to remove and replace?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts