Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you leave your car in stop start mode .I had a terrible journey the other day when they shut a major road.if I had left my car in stop and start mode.the time it took to go thro this hold up I would have needed a new battery plus starter motor.is this a gimmick or what because what a start takes out of your battery is the biggest. plus your starter motor is working overtime.i knock this gadget of as soon as I get in the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't got my captur yet, but in my current car I always turn this feature off if I am in a big traffic queue. But I quite like it the rest of the time so switch it back on. Hopefully the switch is easy to find / operate in the captur so I can carry on doing this

·
Registered
824 Posts
The stop start in a Captur can be turned off........but after every new start of the engine it defaults to being on again! So if you want it off you have to keep switching it off as the button isn't permanent!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Whilst I don't have stop/start on my automatic Captur, I am given to understand that the stop/start mechanism monitors battery charge level (and other criteria), and will disable the stop/start if any of the systems are not within spec for a good start. Therefore using stop/start will not flatten the battery. If the mechanism senses the battery is low on charge it will no go into stop/start mode, so you will not be left stranded.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have stop-start on my Mazda CX5 and leave it on for 95% of the time. In 6700 miles of ownership the engine has been off for just over 2 hours (and I don't commute) so that must have saved some fuel!!!!!

I can't speak for Renault but on the Mazda there is a more powerful starter motor and a battery with increased capacity to cover for the additional strain of the stop start system. If the car is stopped and the "system" realises it needs more power e.g. the air con is running while I am stationary, and capacity is falling then the car will restart itself.

Fact is the car will likely be fitted with an improved starter motor and larger capacity battery so you will have the added expense regardless when you come to replace these items. Don't really know why anybody wouldn't use the system if it is fitted (unless you were, for example, in a slow moving stream of motorway traffic where there are lots of very short stops (and when I disable my system.....which is very rarely)Edited by: Perusal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts