Renault Captur Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anybody knows what could be wrong with my stop & start. I keep getting a message saying "AUTOSTOP UNAVAILABLE "
I am able push the switch to deactivate and activate, but the stop/start still will not work. No other warning light illuminates. Looked at the hand book, but cannot find the answer.
HELP !!

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
And how long have you been driving before you get the message? I believe that stop-start won't be available until the engine has reached normal operating temperature (and with no temperature gauge that is hard to check) - maybe 5 to 10 miles, and also that the battery is reasonably fully charged. If you are doing a lot of short journeys, the battery may not be charged up enough to allow the stop-start to operate

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine was hot (blue temp. light was out). I had the air con, on today as it was warm, and I wonder it that puts a strain on the battery. Also, I only picked the car up on Wednesday, so maybe the battery is not fully charged yet.
The stop/start has been working fine before today though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
For information.Until the car's engine reaches its normal operating temperature the blue thermometer will stay on. If the engine gets too hot the red thermometer will appear.If the carengine goes belownormal operating temperature, the blue thermometer will appear. There is no need for a temperature gauge.
There is a number of criteria which will prohibit the stop/start from working. Check the threads on here. They go into detail of what criteria needs to be met before the stop/start operates.

Modern engines have alternators that are powerful enough to run the accessories. The battery is really only there to start the car, unlike the old dynamo days. Also most of the power supplying the A/C is a power take-off via a belt run from the engine. So is unlikely to drain the battery on its own.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a run round the block to warm the engine up and turned off the air con. etc and the stop/start has started to work again.
Wondering if I should put the battery on charge or should it charge up itself fully with time. You would think that a new battery would come fully powered up !!
Edited by: awq

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stop/start generally does what is best for the car rather than you.......to give you a couple of examples based upon experience on my Mazda CX5.

Stationary at traffic lights, AC on, engine stopped and suddenly it started again without me doing anything. I suspect the reason was that there was too much drain on the battery and rather than risk there being insufficient power to restart the car when the lights eventually changed back to green it started itself while it still had sufficient capacity in reserve.
After a long motorway run,I stopped at the exit of the slip road for the traffic light. The engine would not stop even though the battery would have been fully charged etc etc. I believe the reason will have been that the turbocharger will have been red hot and to switch off the engine at that point risked "cooking " the oil and lacquering the bearings.

In summary, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you really think it has stopped working altogether try switching it off on the dash and then back on again ie a reboot.

Cars fitted with such systems typically have a larger capacity battery and also a stronger starter motor which is great until you come to replace them and find how much extra they can cost to replace.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why on earth does the handbook not say words to the effect of "the start/stop does not work too well with the air conditioning on"

·
Registered
924 Posts
The handbook says that the stop/start (engine standby) is suspended if the difference between the internal temperature and the climate control instructionis too high. In other words if the air conditioning is trying to operate. Also the clearview prevents the engine standby.
The handbook also list a number of other reasons that suspend engine standby.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That message "AUTOSTOP UNAVAILABLE" means that the conditions aren't optimal for the start stop to work, there isn't a problem with the car, the message is just letting you know that the stop start won't work.

Battery power, engine temperature, exterior temperature and what is working in the car; A/C, radio, sat nav, rear de-mister etc, etc are all factors taken into account by the car when determining whether stop start is to work or not.

You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi

There is an A on the instrument display with a diagonal line through it like /

When I read the manual it says this means I haven't got the stop / start facility whilst at traffic lights etc

The car was only collected yesterday and all Capturs have this engine cut out but mine doesn't seem too !!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Capitalmagpie said:
Hi

There is an A on the instrument display with a diagonal line through it like /

When I read the manual it says this means I haven't got the stop / start facility whilst at traffic lights etc

The car was only collected yesterday and all Capturs have this engine cut out but mine doesn't seem too !!!
The manual gives you all the info you need i.e. where the isolator switch is located etc

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.