Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stop start function worked well for the first few days and now will not work. I have read the handbook and all of the reasons for it not being available are not valid in my case. Anyone had any similar experiences please, before I take it back to the dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a quick look through the faults section of the forum before posting but have now found the answer on the main message page. I never drive for more than five miles and have yet to use the air con. I don't understand why my stop start worked for the first week of ownership and yet now doesn't? My driving style remains the same. Thanks

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would re-check the criteria. There are a lot which will suspend the engine standby (stop/start). A thread yesterday had a list of those that might be relevant. There have been a number of "stop/start" threads to read up on within this forum. If your car has the "engine standby not available" warning, thenI suspect there is no need to panic. Just carry on.
Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
863 Posts
had that happen the other day got in and a message came up stop start not available.did not bother me because I turn it off anyway.got back in same day worked normal.

·
Registered
863 Posts
also do not like the idea of stop start.because I think about the wear on starter motor and what it must take out of the battery every time it starts again.???

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
hicky said:
also do not like the idea of stop start.because I think about the wear on starter motor and what it must take out of the battery every time it starts again.???

Stop-start cars have uprated starter motors, and a special battery designed to cope with the extra loads required by the unusually high number of starts. No real need to worry

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is also a common thread on the French Captur Forum. It is discussed that Stop/Start does not function if the battery is below 80% charge - so after a lot of short journeys using Stop/Start the function will switch off until the battery has charged above 80% again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hubby will take it for a good run and see how it goes. He is surprised I have had trouble as he has a new merc that stp starts even on short trips

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All, having same problem and have myself accepted as the less than 80% charge is the culprit.Ok but lets not forget the on average £16,000 we have paid for these vehicles and the high specification that sells them, why should we accept a lame excuse as "oh you are not using it enough " as an answer to an annoying fault.
Had another look at battery and maybe the measley 60amp/hr that is fitted may not be sufficient.
Looking for some more thoughts on this subject.
Regards
Barry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine hasn't worked once since I last posted. I am not happy either. I drove a good 30 miles yesterday and still nothing!

·
Registered
428 Posts
. I IFind that the stop start has a mind of its own. I have found that the main reason it does not come on is because I have the air con on. Also. I think on repeated short journeys it saves battery power by going into standby mode.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I remember last year when I had a diesel zafira and at times I noticed that fuel consumption was more for a few miles and ( could tell on instant and average MPG). I wa told that diesels calibrate every so often and this was the cause of the extra fuel use. Maybe this could be the reason, when calibrating it don't work. Also noticed it on vw polo with extra fuel use and sluggish.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Never heard anything about diesels calibrating before - what are they calibrating?
Lack of stop-start may also be related to DPF unblocking/cleaning... but if the battery is only 60AHr that doesn't inspire me with much confidence; doesn't the diesel have a larger capacity battery than that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts