Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Is there anyway of disabling the stop/start on a 2020 Captur. I know there is a switch to stop it but this has to be set everytime the engine is started. I want it disabled permanently.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Afraid not. It has to be disabled every time. I think this is a requirement that all manufacturers follow. In about four years when the battery is in its sunset years it should disable itself. There are conditions when it will not operate, and these are worth revising:);)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Is it difficult to turn off every time you start the engine? In my 2016 model it's easy,I get in,lock the doors,key card in slot,press stop/start button to switch it off,press start button.

·
Super Moderator
2,549 Posts
Unfortunately the Law requires it to re-activate for each journey. There's no option but to manually disable it each time, however frustrating that may be

·
Registered
547 Posts
Without intending to offend anyone,you have to press the engine start/stop twice every journey but pressing the stop/start once is a pain in the a**e. Sorry,but I really cannot see the problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Function is to supposedly to prolong life of the capturs poor battery and for the good of the enviroment.
Engine shuts off when sitting at traffic lights etc but cant remember if the Captur actually does this?
Sadly it is law to have the cars fitted with stop/start
I find it fine to use S/S on any vehicle but others will not.
thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
How does asking the battery to turn the engine over to start it every time you stop at a junction/traffic light etc prolong the life of the battery? Less work for the battery if the engine is idling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have an OBD2 PC Interface, you can (possibly; I don't know if you can on the 2020 model. You can on the 2013 version for sure) permanently turn off Start/Stop in the ECU Configuration. It might void your warranty though. I have done it on mine only after the warranty was up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used DDT4all. This article describes Start/Stop in point number 7. Make sure to choose the correct ECU for your car and not the one in the article. DDT4all has an option to scan the ECUs in your vehicle so I suggest using that

·
Registered
420 Posts
How does asking the battery to turn the engine over to start it every time you stop at a junction/traffic light etc prolong the life of the battery? Less work for the battery if the engine is idling.
You will need to ask the powers that be regarding that one!!
Most but not all newer vehicles are fitted with stop start.
When you come to stop at traffic lights for a certain length of time the vehicle should if fitted, automatically cut of the engine, then simply press in clutch and vehicle will start.
Its all to with the enviroment, climate change, emissions etc
thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fantastic thanks, this will help many members who have some knowledge and nerve
If anyone wants to do this and wants to double check if they are doing the correct procedure, just ask me and send me what steps you're doing and I'll check if they sound reasonable.

On the other hand there are quite some interesting settings that I have changed. Mainly:
  1. Enabled Cornering Lights (fog lamps): Mine were not enabled (I guess I didn't buy that extra)
  2. Enabling "Follow me Home Lights". Again, mine did not have this feature enabled from the factory.
    1. How it works: With the engine switched off and the lights off, pull stalk towards you: the dipped beam headlights light up for approximately thirty seconds. This action may be carried out no more than four times for a maximum lighting period of two minutes.
  3. Changed Daylight Running Lights to be always on, even when headlights are on (DRLs are dimmed, but this is also configurable)
  4. Turned off Automatic Rear Washer when shifting to reverse gear
There is also a feature on some ECUs to turn on Welcome Lights. When unlocking the car (or when pressing the bulb button on the remote) instead of just the car interior, the headlamp also lights up, making the car easier to find. However, this feature is not available on my ECU :(
The same goes for auto-window closing. It is available in my ECU configuration, I have turned it on, but it does not work. I guess I am missing something.

But anyways, it's quite interesting to try and as long as you're careful, there's little risk. Just take a backup and change 1 setting at a time and see if they work or not. If not, revert them :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Kootzee,"It's all to with the enviroment,climate change,emissions etc". Exactly,nothing to do with prolonging the life of the battery,which it doesn't.
I still cannot understand why some people find it such a chore to turn of the stop/start when they start a journey. You use one finger for a second to press a button,not really a strenuous exercise is it? How they manage to press the button to start the engine and again at journeys end to stop it without collapsing in a sweaty heap is beyond me.😊

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have had several cars with stop start function and find it can be a pain sometimes and bloody dangerous
Not takiing about actually the simple pressing the S/S button but from the 'safety' aspect of it.
I remmeber my old megane had this and in specific scenario if i was say driving in heavy rain and arrived at cross roads or juction when slowing down to give way then the stop/start function activated in the car would then cut out and the wipers would stop hereby making it dangerous to pull out as could not see through windscreen as was covered in rainwater droplets.
I remember contacting renault about this and was told it was not a safety issue or design fault.
Anyway thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Stop-start should never stop the wipers. All electrical systems should function normally and, if voltage starts to drop as a result, the SS will deactivate (after restarting the engine). I don't think Renault had a SS system on the market more than ten years ago but turning off the wipers would definitely be a safety issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts