Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Capture-friends!

Subject Tce90 : could you please tell me about your experience with the engine those of you who have chosen the 0.9 liter petrol model?

I know its not a rocket - and I don't need one - but I would very much like to hear your point of views regarding to the daily use .............thx.

Peter

·
Registered
921 Posts
it's is a steady drive in EcoAnd moves quick enough

However out of Eco it is quick and is a nice drive at 70

I've gone from 1,6 engine and was worried I wouldn't be happy but I am

Lyn

·
Super Moderator
2,625 Posts
The engine seems a lot smoother than the 3-cylinder VW Polo I had on hire a few years back, and with less vibration back into the cabin than the VW too.
As Lyn said, it's no ball of fire but it appears (from my test drive anyway) to be adequate for sedate motoring.
Not sure how it would cope if always driven in a vehicle with 4 adults and a load of luggage though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies / it's just for me and miss Daisy so no doubts that we will be more than happy / like you are / our test drive was in a 0,9 Clio and a1,5 Captur diesel / that's why I asked about it.

We will have to be patient until week 34.

Peter

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi Peter
totally understand your question

I am very happy with the engine I have driven many cars in my time and I must say for a small engine it is quick

Eco as I say is a more sedately ride

You will love it when you get it I am sure
Oh I drove the 1.2 auto on my test drive which was quick !.....but did I notice much difference no not really around town ......on the motorway / dual carriageway yes but not enough to warrant going for that engine

Lyn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Lyn for your information happy to know your experience / and yes now I'm sure we made the right choice looking forward to August and our black beauty :))

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS! Lyn - by the way what is your fuel consumption on an average ?

Peter

·
Registered
921 Posts
Peter Slagelse DK said:
PS! Lyn - by the way what is your fuel consumption on an average ?

Peter
Peter my lovely Captur is only five weeks old and I have only done 300 miles so far I don't think I am in a position as yet to make any judgements

Usually I would have done around 1500 miles by now but working close to home for the first time in 24 years has made my journeys back and forth very short and the couple of personal trips I have made have only been shortish as well

The jargon says I should get on average 57 mpg but if I get 47 I will be ok with that! 57 would be rather lovely though

Lyn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thank you Lyn and a nice day to you :)

Peter

·
Registered
741 Posts
Peter, the Captur is 100kg heavier than the Clio so in the real world if you were happy with the Drive in the TCe Clio then you will be happy with the engine in the Captur; 100kg is a hefty person or 1.25 of a normal person.

It's a great little engine the TCe and more than adequate for the job, some people are put off by the size and number of cylinders but what they fail to realise it is much the same output of a 1.4 from 5 or so years ago, engine technology changes rapidly however some people still have a massive hang up when it comes to engines, they just can't get their head around it and it is extremely frustrating when selling these cars, having said that I think Renault would benefit from having a 1.2TCe manual as an option however there are no plans to do so.

I see people not buying our cars purely as there isn't a 1.4 option, they end up buying a 1.4 Fiesta instead of a TCe Captur or Clio however the 1.4 engine is old technology, similar power, high emissions and lower fuel consumption but to them it is better just because of being a 1.4. I'm going off on a tangent here!!Edited by: HTP99

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HTP99 thank you! after the good answers in this tread I'm sure that 0.9 is appropriate for us :))

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi Peter I have the 90Tce quite a few passengers have asked what engine mine has and they wont believe me when I say its only 800cc.....I make a point of asking them what they think it is and mostly they say 1600cc......testament to what a nice engine it is I think!!
For a number of reasons I came from a 2.5 v6 petrol auto in my last car I really had a feeling I would struggle with lack of power etc etc but its been fine......only time I find the manual gearbox a pain is in traffic jams but generally its been good also! As for mpg on a steady cruise I can easily get high 50s but when pushed (ie when I dont have my slippers on
)this can fall a bit to mid to high 40s....around town I usually get high 30s.........on my case the Captur saves me £40 a week over my last car in fuel costs so cant complain ...far from it.Ride at times can be a little choppy on some road surfaces but grip is good even though its a reasonably high car.......its comfy and so far after 6 mths of ownership I couldnt do anything else but say how good it has been...in fact its been a pleasure!!

Hope this helps a bit!!

TC

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Helps a lot thank you TC Eddy :))

Peter

·
Registered
921 Posts
I must say both make really valuable and excellent comments and I am now far more knowledgeable about the engine than I was previouslyAnd I would like to thank you both

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too have your engine & I can endorse Tc Eddy comments wholeheartedly... I came from a 1.6 Peugeot 308 120bhp Sport.... quite a powerful and fast car to drive...and was slightly concerned I'd picked the wrong engine... I needn't have worried..even with 5 adults in the car it still pulls admirably. When just myself I've found it to be quite fast if your not careful...when the turbo kicks in it zips along. Have been really surprised and delighted after reading rafts of negtivety about the "sluggish engine" Even on the motorway you can overtake when needed quite confidently. Mine has only done just over 500miles and on a long drive on motorways have got 40.8mpg..around town am now getting 36..2mpg...not bad..am expecting more when fully run in and its opened up a bit..Well pleased with my Captur as I'm sure you will be too.
meterman_56

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi peter had mine since oct done 5000+ miles its a sweet little engine copes well on the motorway even with four adults and luggage done a couple of long haul with no real issues except getting caught in eco mode on steep inclines on motorway ie: m62 thats 1 to be avoided go up in normal mode and it responds currently averageing 41.3 to the gallon have to admit a 1.2 if it had been available that might have been better but thats just knit picking enjoy!
ian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all I am delighted and excited for the answers about my black beauty that will reach my home in august

Peter

·
Registered
72 Posts
HTP99 said:
I see people not buying our cars purely as there isn't a 1.4 option, they end up buying a 1.4 Fiesta instead of a TCe Captur or Clio however the 1.4 engine is old technology, similar power, high emissions and lower fuel consumption but to them it is better just because of being a 1.4. I'm going off on a tangent here!!
Which 1.4 Fiesta is this? Ford haven't sold one for about a year (at least a year) on account of having downsized in a similar fashion to Renault - they do have an older tech 1.25 as an introductory engine (like Renault do putting a 1.2 16v in more basic Clio's) but their petrol manual range is the 1.0 3-cylinder engine in naturally aspirated (80bhp) and turbo (100 and 125bhp).

I thought the Captur 0.9tce was a great engine when we drove one, it really had a nice blend of charm, refinement and performance (there was the three of us on board at the time) and we drove it back to back with the 1.5dCi - my only criticism of the petrol is that it felt a touch 'clunky' when changing gear at low revs, that's not uncommon for a small capacity turbo petrol to be honest. Years ago we drove a Modus 1.4 16v and I'd say it's performance was comparable with more mid-range pull.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Back in 1987..........
......I used to own a Fiesta XR2.......1.6 with 96 bhp.........I found it **** dangerous I didnt have it long as it gave me headaches and brown underpants
.....horrendously hard ride......but took corners like a limpet..........comparing both cars here.......the XR2 had as said 96bhp and the Captur 90bhp............in my book that doesn't equate to a slow car and remember the Captur is only 800cc!!!
For the internal size and external presence on the road a Captur is a great car!!.......now wheres my slippers................

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can only concur with the positive comments made previously. My wife's car is averaging about 37-38 mpg and she is not what I would describe as an economical driver.

The only thing that could be construed as negative that you should be aware of ,is that the engine sounds a little rough at idle which is simply down to the fact that a 3 cylinder engine can never be as well balanced as a 4 cylinder. In fact when we came back from our test drive the first time I did ask the dealer to confirm it was a petrol engine and not a diesel. That said any "roughness" disappears instantly when on the move and for me the highlight is how quiet and refined the engine is. We are totally happy with the 0.9 TCe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts