Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just washed my black / ivory roof Captur in the bright sun and what a complete mess it turned out.
Quite mucky after recent rain so I hosed it down, thoroughly sponged with Turtlewax wash, rinsed, removed excess water with the water scrape thing and dried with a synthetic glove.
Still looks a bit of a mess!

May repeat the job under the cover of darkness. Neighbours will think I'm nuts.
Why did I choose black. How do the other colours fare ?

Edited by: awq

·
Registered
921 Posts
oh bless

So frustrating for you I've had two black cars and totally loved them but as you ha e pointed out a nightmare to clean
My son cleaned
mine with Snow Foam and it dazzeled

But I take mine to the local hand car wash they do a great job

Better take a torch with you after dark LoL lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got Tahoe blue with black roof.......blue shows water marks and the black needs a lot of drying, have swore a few times and seem to walk round this car about 5 times constantly checking it before having to step away for health reasons

·
Registered
215 Posts
i hose down after washing then chamois dry the the panels as much as possible then finish off with a large microfibre cloth

does the trick here

·
Registered
863 Posts
I find my friends in the carwash over the way do an excellent job on my black bits.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Gordon, I've found the wash, chamois and micro fibre method the best...as I live in a hard water area that leads to 'spots' if not dried properly...

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha
, sunny Cheshire. Don't worry, we are all having a heat wave next week.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Tustain said:
Can you tell me where the sun is shining and I'll come and live by you!!!

I was about to ask that very same question it has rained every day since last Thursday
Although now I have just said that there is a glimmer of some brightness oops no its gone

·
Registered
921 Posts
awq said:
Ha ha
, sunny Cheshire. Don't worry, we are all having a heat wave next week.
Is that just in Cheshire AWQ or are you going to share it

·
Registered
924 Posts
Washing the car under the cover of darkness is not really the answer. You will be unable to get the polish to buff up, as the cold atmosphere will condense on the car and any dampness in the air will form on the car. This will dull the shine at the least, or leave an emulsion smear. Don't wax and polish a car less than an hour before sundown.

·
Registered
921 Posts
No wash it in the dark and send us a photo as soon as you have done it !!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good way to get rid of water marks is to use Autoglym Rapid Detailer. Doesn't need much, just a spray and a wipe down with a microfibres cloth. Works wonders on both our Captur and black Mazda MX5.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I will try that. Hate those water smears.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
awq said:
..... thoroughly sponged with Turtlewax wash, rinsed.....
That's the problem - rinsing. Especially if you used tap water, that leads to the limescale marks. Try wiping down after sponging, ie not rinsing. Change shampoo if necessary; I think that car shampoos have something that minimises or eliminates the calcium grey spots.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The bodywork usually looks pretty bad just after sponging with car shampoo, thats why I hose (with ordinary tap water).
Are you saying that you should not rinse at all, just wipe down.

Actually, our window cleaner just sponges the windows, then sprays them with deironised water and they come up a treat - without rubbing down with anything. He says that they should be left to dry naturally. Not sure how you deironise a shedfull of water though.
Edited by: awq

1 - 20 of 26 Posts