Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed from a picture that there is no visible temp. gauge on the dash (never noticed on the test drive). Is this right? Never owned a car without one before. There must be some way of gauging the engines temperature - surely, or am I wrong.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's pretty common now, my Volvo doesn't either.

You have a light now. It's blue when the engine is cold, off when the temps are good and I guess it goes red if it gets too hot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to be strange! After nearly 40 years on the road this will be the very first car without a "proper" temperature gauge.
Actually use it in the winter. Never mind, modern technology!

·
Super Moderator
2,382 Posts
I really hate this trend to do away with temperature gauges. In the past 2 years, they have proved invaluable with identifying faults in all 3 of our family's cars.

Younger daughter's Fiesta bought used (7 years old): After 4 months in her ownership it lost all the water as the water pump sprung a serious leak one day - noticed by her as the "gauge next to the fuel gauge went right up to the top, and a red light came on; what does that mean, dad?" Lucky to escape without any apparentengine damage.

The Scenic last year:eek:ne day,wife noticed that the temperature gauge had gone up well above the usual mid-point. Investigation showeda fairly serious waterleak which was traced to a split in the thermostat housing. Driven immediately to local garage for that diagnosis; Rectified next day without any engine damage.

The Galaxy: Last year I noticed the temperature gauge having a "song and dance" - was fluctuating all over the place on almost every journey, literally from bottom of gauge to mid-point in a fraction of a second, then back again. Caused by faulty temperature sensor.

With no gauge and just a warning light, it's unlikely that any of the above 3 faults would have been caught so quickly as they were, if at all.

Also, I don't like to work the engine hard or rev it too much until it's warmed up, and with no temperature gauge, it's hard to work out when that is.
Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
924 Posts
You will know when the engine is running at the correct temperature. The blue thermometer will go out. The blue thermometer indicates running at less than optimum temperature. The red indicates the engine is running above the optimum temperature. The electric fan will control the temperature in between, along with the engine thermostat, so there is no need for a temperature gauge.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Im glad it doesnt have one......one of my last cars did and it was a fixation as the cars design had an inherant cooling system bad design and suffered many leaks...........I used to watch it all the time.......Captur doesnt have one........suits me sir!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts