Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Captur E-Tech PHEV
15 Posts
Picked it up on Wed. Took one of the two showroom models the dealer had. Left them with just one to continue their sales. Otherwise it would have been Mar before an order would be fulfilled, and who knows how all this will be affected. First Captur Hybrid on the road here in IRL.

·
Registered
2020 E:TECH Hybrid
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm very pleased with mine so far but as the MPG display only goes up to 99.9 I won't know what it is really doing until I finally have to put some petrol in it. The only issue I have that Renault are looking into is that from a cold start and driving in electric mode the petrol engine is starting when the electric motor changes gear at 45 mph regardless of throttle position. It is fine after that first gear change and remains in EV mode as it should. Have you got this issue as well?

·
Registered
Captur E-Tech PHEV
15 Posts
Will check it out and report. I did find the engine revving a bit erratically when I was in sport mode, foot off the pedal, and coasting around a corner. Early days yet. Really enjoy so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. I live in Greece, I am a Captur 2017 owner and currently considering upgrading to the PHEV because I got a good offer for trading the old one. My problem is that in Greece we have very few charging stations, and I live in a flat so I can't charge at home. I wanted to ask a few questions to people who already have the hybrid captur to understand some things about charging

1) If you don't charge it with a plug, how much energy does regenerative braking produce? For example, if I opt to only use petrol and my battery is empty, how long will it take to fill it (if that's even possible)

2) If you never charge it via a plug, is fuel consumption as good as other non-plugin hybrids?

3) Reading the specs at the Greek Renault website, it mentions that it takes about 3 hours for a full charge. That sounds like a very large amount of time for such a small battery. Is this only for charging at home? Can this number be smaller if I charge at public spots with better charging stations?

I would love to get the PHEV, even if the price is quite steep, but I am currently discouraged because I won't be able to charge it at home. That's why I am trying to understand if my worries are reasonable, or if I can still enjoy it while mostly relying on the car itself to charge the battery

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone. I live in Greece, I am a Captur 2017 owner and currently considering upgrading to the PHEV because I got a good offer for trading the old one. My problem is that in Greece we have very few charging stations, and I live in a flat so I can't charge at home. I wanted to ask a few questions to people who already have the hybrid captur to understand some things about charging

1) If you don't charge it with a plug, how much energy does regenerative braking produce? For example, if I opt to only use petrol and my battery is empty, how long will it take to fill it (if that's even possible)
I have seen up to 35Kw of regenerative charging for short periods so it does make some contribution but not a significant one. When you have consumed around 80% of the battery charge the engine then charges the battery and provides traction power automatically to maintain the level between 10% and 20% and uses this energy when appropriate like for slow traffic, hills and overtaking. The battery never normally depletes completely as the last 10% is reserved for maintaining the full 160bhp when required, if not you would lose 60bhp of overtaking power.

2) If you never charge it via a plug, is fuel consumption as good as other non-plugin hybrids?
I would expect it to be similar but to be honest, "Self Charging Hybrids" are a waste of time/money and this term has been banned in advertising in some countries as it is misleading due to the fact that in either mode the energy is sourced from petrol.

3) Reading the specs at the Greek Renault website, it mentions that it takes about 3 hours for a full charge. That sounds like a very large amount of time for such a small battery. Is this only for charging at home? Can this number be smaller if I charge at public spots with better charging stations?
The rate of charge is determined by the on-board charger and will only charge at a maximum of 3.7kw even if plugged into a 22kw public charge point. Domestic charging is about 2.5 kw and over 4 hours on a normal outlet(3 pin in UK)or 3.7kw with a charge point fitted at your home.

To be honest, do not buy a plug-in hybrid unless you can plug it in as you will be much better off with a conventional petrol engine which is much cheaper to buy and will probably use less fuel as you will not be carrying the weight of an electric motor and batteries.

There may be a tax advantage if the car is used for your business as this loophole is being used by UK companies but lots of company drivers never even plug them in as their employer pays for the fuel. These cars then do high mileage on motorways so rarely use the system as it was designed and are then become more expensive to operate than an ICE car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Switchback thank you very much for your answer, much appreciated. One final question: when you say "I have seen up to 35kw of regenerative charging for short periods" isn't that a high number? Isn't the whole battery less than 10kw anyway?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Switchback thank you very much for your answer, much appreciated. One final question: when you say "I have seen up to 35kw of regenerative charging for short periods" isn't that a high number? Isn't the whole battery less than 10kw anyway?
9.8kWh battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not very familiar with batteries and their measurements, I and trying to ready around and understand. If the battery has 9.8kwh and the onboard charger is 3.7kw, wouldn't any regenarative charging over 3.7kw, recharge the battery at full speed?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not very familiar with batteries and their measurements, I and trying to ready around and understand. If the battery has 9.8kwh and the onboard charger is 3.7kw, wouldn't any regenarative charging over 3.7kw, recharge the battery at full speed?
You may be getting kWh mixed up with kW. kWh is the capacity of the battery(as in how much power it holds) and kW is the rate at which it can be charged. So if you charged a discharged battery with a 3kW supply, after 3 hours you would have a battery with 9kWh of capacity(roughly). The onboard charger and the regenerative braking charging systems are as far as I know independent of each other. The charge rate from regenerative braking is variable from 0 to maximum(the most I've seen is 35kW). If you could find a long enough downhill road to maintain 9kW of regenerative charging for 1 hour then in theory you could fully charge the battery.

·
Registered
Captur E-Tech PHEV
15 Posts
Back to the issue you raised Switchback at the start of this thread. I started with a full battery and had no fan or aircon selected. Press the EV button and headed off. I did notice that the engine kicked in at around 70 kmph. The dash showed EV/My Sense and not EV/Pure. So I assume the driving mode switched to MySense as a result of acceleration ??
On return trip with 40% battery, the engine did not kick in at 70 kmph this time, as I was a bit easier of the acceleration. No sure if this sheds any light on the subject. Will keep an eye out in case any other conclusions found.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 hours, and charged back up 40%
It may have still been a bit warm then rather than a proper cold start. 70kph is close to the 45mph where my engine cuts-in when cold as well. Can you see if this also coincides with the change to the higher gear for the electric motor although it's more difficult to feel the gear change under gentle acceleration.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts