Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm perplexed.

I own a '16-reg Captur 1.5 dCi which I've had for around six months now and it's all been good except for a few minor issues which I can live with. But about six weeks ago I started experiencing something new. When I arrive at, for instance, a red light on a downward-sloping road, I'll stop with my footbrake, apply the handbrake....and when I release the footbrake, the car settles itself with an unnerving noise like a cross between a creak and a groan, which appears to come from underneath the car somewhere behind me. I'd like to say that it's a noise I've only ever heard under these specific circumstances, but I'm also very occasionally hearing it when I climb into the car and sit down (but in that context it's a creak rather than a groan).

The suspension seems fine, without any creaks or squeaks at all, ever - not even when going over speed bumps or cattle grids.

Is it just a rubber bush somewhere that needs replacing? Or am I gazing into the jaws of something more drastic and expensive?

My Renault 4+ Warranty expires at the end of March, so it'd really help to know whether the creak/groan is indicative of a potential major problem which Renault might be prepared to deal with at their own cost or whether I'd be best off going to a backstreet garage where Renault couldn't charge me £99 for just looking at it and then telling me my warranty doesn't cover it.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you will find it is the rear brakes when the hand brake not quite pulled up hard enough to stop the drums completely. Just pull up the hand brake another click.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm......(rubs chin thoughtfully)

The thing is, I already pull the handbrake all the way up, as high as it'll go - in fact I'm a demon for doing that, even on a level surface - so I'd most definitely be pulling it all the way up when I'm on a slope. Safety first, etc.

If the problem is still occurring in spite of that, do we 100% blame the shoes for being worn out?

If so, how would it tie in with the creak I hear sometimes when I climb into the driving seat, which is definitely the same creak but not quite so groany?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Probably something to do with weight transfer,holding on slope on foot brake,discs gripped by calliper/pad taking the load. Handbrake on,foot off brake pedal,sudden transfer of weight onto rear drums . My car has been doing it for 49,000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're saying that if I move to a flat town, the problem might magically go away? Worth thinking about.

I notice that when I put my original post up, there wasn't a chorus of "All our cars do the same thing!" from all the forum members, so presumably some Captur owners don't experience the phenomenon....which presumably means that something or other does need looking at by a mechanic. Uh-oh. Or maybe most of the forum members live in dead flat towns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts