Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the forum.im thinking of buying a capture but unsure what spec or engine to go for.
Was really liking the sound of the diesel 90 engine for its fuel economy.I would like DAB radio and electric folding mirrors if possible,so not sure what spec trim has these.cars ive been looking at are not new but nearly new maybe a year old.
So was wondering if anyone could put me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not very constructive, Steve. I'm sure I'm among the majority of contributors here who are happy with their purchase.Don's best bet is to take a trip to his nearest dealer and take a look for himself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had mine three months and I love it. Mine is the 1.5 dci dynamique nav automatic. Mine has sat nav and DAB as standard, but if you want folding mirrors, you will probably need the the next spec up, the dynamique S.

Where did I buy it?
I bought mine from Renault Retail in Manchester ,(who are owned by Renault UK), pre registered, 10 weeks old (66 reg), with 7 miles on the clock and the remainder of the 4 years manufacturers warranty, so it was/is effectively a "new" car. This is the second car pre registered I have bought from this dealership, and they really are hard to beat for service and price. Speak to Simon Oldfield, a top notch and very professional sales person who will not try to pressure you and will help you find the car you want.

Why did I buy it?
I spent several months looking at the various prices out there and although I had to travel 140 miles each way to collect the car, the total price of LESS than £14000 made it worth my while, especially as the price included rear parking sensors, which are not standard on my model. It even came with half a tank of diesel, which is unusual these days. I spent the best part of a year deciding WHAT to buy and came down on the Captur. Over the past 45 years I've has a variety of Renaults, (and Peugeots/Citroens) as well as other brands, (although strangely I've never had a Ford). I traded in a three year old Vauxhall Insignia,(built in Germany), with which I had no end of problems. I think all major brands have their strengths and weaknesses, and I actually really like French cars.

Reliability
I live in a village with virtually no public transport and both my wife and I have jobs which can involve start and finish times that can be described as "unsociable", so we need reliable transport. My wife drives a Dacia, built by Renault, and I can assure you that if I/we had any worries regarding Renault/Dacia reliability, we would both be driving something else, especially my wife as she has a 20 mile drive to and from work mainly along minor and quite lonely country roads, and some evenings she finishes after 10pm and travels alone. Similarly I need transport that won't let me down, and again I wouldn't have bought a Captur if I had any major concerns regarding its reliability.

Overall
You're right to think carefully as to what car you buy, but any major brand can have problems - think VW and Toyota for example. If you are leaning towards a Captur then why not hire one for a weekend and see how you feel about it? I hope this post helps. Good luck and good hunting!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tinker for your in depth reply.i currently own a 13 Vauxhall Astra petrol which owned for 3 years.its been the most unreliable car I've owned,its been back to the dealers about 10 times for different faults and now the warranty has come to an end I just want rid before it costs me money,well should I say it's costing me all ready with the poor fuel consumption,luckyif I get 30 mpg out of it.
I've had French cars before and found them to be very reliable and great to drive and love the look of the capture..thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
dCi Dynamique S Nav is the one you want. Now is the perfect time to buy brand new. Facelift Captur is on sale later and the current model is available at bargain basement prices if you're willing to haggle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,dci Dynamique s nav it is then.just have to find a good nearly new secondhand one.now the shopping begins over the next weeks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try Renault Retail, they have a number of branches around the country and do some cracking deals on pre registered and low mileage models and they are owned by Renault. They have a decent website and you'll also find a lot of their cars on the Autotrader website.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Take a look at the 'REGISTER YOUR CLUTCH JUDDER HERE' thread and see how many people are suffering from the same problem.Better you're aware of problems that appear endemic, especially to the 1.5dci engine/transmission.
Try and drive it straight from cold, try and give the clutch some stick (hill start) and try and drive it long enough in traffic that it gets hot.
If there's any hint of judder, walk away.
No guarantee it won't appear in future, but at least it won't be there 'now'.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So now looking at all the people who have had problems with the clutch on the dci makes me think petrol is the way to go.just not sure the engine size in the petrol ,it seems to small to get much performance out of the car.”

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Check all the various threads on here about clutch judder, there are quite a few.I'm sure, but stand to be corrected, petrol owners have suffered from it too.
Just thatthe majority on here seem to own the 1.5dci, so it gets mentioned more often.
My 1.5dci Juke also suffers from the judder, but nowhere near the same extent as our Captur.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The 1.2 petrol turbo has plenty of power for everyday use and, if driven carefully, will give over 45 mpg.I don't recall seeing too many problems with the auto dual clutch either so I would think that's an option well worth considering.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don1 said:
So now looking at all the people who have had problems with the clutch on the dci makes me think petrol is the way to go.just not sure the engine size in the petrol ,it seems to small to get much performance out of the car.”

If you're after out and out performance then maybe the Captur (any engine) is not for you. Also if you're driving fully laden ( 4 passengers, luggage) all the time. Having said that just compleated a journey back from Gt Yarmouth - Luton, 120 miles , 3 up with luggage absolutely no problem with my 0.9Tce. Cruises 70 - 75 with ease. And comfy and quiet

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
OP has hardly said "out and out performance" is important, but probably right to consider the 0.9 a bit weak.
I personally couldn't take the lack of torque compared with the diesel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's why I like Diesel engines for the torque they give.still fancying the dci engine even if it's prone to clutch judder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a lovely looking car great colour.do you know what year the 1.2 engine came out?carnt seem to find many with the 1.2 engine.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts