Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to test drive the Capture today, feeling extremely excited about the new model which would have been my 8th Renault purchase. Following extensive research and a lengthy wait to see a physical model as opposed to the information on the website I attended the appoitment for the test drive - money in the bank ready for immediate purchase.

I can only say that I came away from the showroom totally deflated with a nagging feeling that Renault have cut corners to an extent that belittles expectations of a leading manufacturer.

1. For a 'cross over vehicle' with a roomier interior the back seats are only accommodating and comfortable for two adults, restricted space was disappointing and unfeasible for a comfortable rear seat 3 adult drive, bump on the rear upright for the central passenger which makes for an uncomfortable ride, seat width at least one inch short either side of the available rear space(?), headrests uncomfortable.

2. Rear seat totally unstable when passengers are entering or leaving the vehicle with one side tilting up or moving with any entry or exit. Although I imagine all safety standards have been adhered to the unusual movement of the rear seat is disconcerting and I was mindful that in a high impact accident I would not have faith that the unstable rear seat would not be unhinged and cause additional trauma.

3. Front driving and passenger seats - tiny!!! Ridiculously small even compared to my current Clio Dynamique. As a medium sized female I would hate to think how a larger male/female driver/passenger could have a comfortable ride especially on a long journey.

4. Definately ergonomically challenging to try and latch the seat belt into the holder if you are a larger person especially if the model has the central arm rest. Even if the arm rest is raised out of the way elbow space is restricted and easy seat belt access is made difficult.

4. Dashboard and door furniture very plastic and cheap looking along with a central seat console that has a similar low budget aesthetic.

5. Unsuitable boot space for animals. We have a dog who travels regularly in the boot of the car. If the dog is stowed in the boot without the platform board the rear seat handle is a danger and the dog could easily be injured with movement or a sudden braking. If the platform board is used on the higher level there is a 1 -2inch gap at the back of the board that a dog could easily get its leg stuck down during transit causing a potential broken leg - definately a health and safety hazard for an animal. Also this problem with the boot platform board could become difficult if your boot is full of heavy or large items and a small item stowed in the boot fell behind the gap ...... resulting in the whole boot having to be unpacked to retrieve the small item.

6. Cheap and unsuitable latch on the central driver arm rest - car was less than one week old in the showroom and already the plastic catch was broken - definately a money saving oversight and does not hold a longevity factor for a family car and it leaves open the expectation that similar locking devices in the car could also snap and be rendered useless.

7. For a family sized car the English version (right hand drive) gave very little space in the glove compartment due to European market electrics still being housed on the left hand side of the vehicle.

8. Rear seat magazine holders - I found the design unsightly and unsuitable and would look untidy if several items were stored as all would be on show and smaller items would fall out due to it not being a pocket type.

On the positive side I liked the new age dashboard furniture and especially the media tablet which is excellent and the removable/washable seat covers are superb. However as no other vehicle in the Renault range had all of the elements we required in one vehicle we have reluctantly gone elsewhere and will be purchasing a vehicle from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well itdefinitelysounds like it's not for you!
. I guess some of this can be explained away with it really being a supermini but you will find the 2008 and the Juke the same I would think.<div id="watchlr_dummy_element_for_plugin_detection">

What have you decided on instead?

·
Registered
27 Posts
...has a similar low budget...You have to look Mercedes or BMW instead.They are high budget.It is very simple.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you work for a competitor to Renault?

How about these suggestions.

1. Spend more money and get a bigger car
2. Trade the dog for a cat. Animal transportation problems solved.
3. Be smaller... I am 6ft 1in and quite a big bloke. No problems with the seats/space at all..
4. Be more flexible... No problems plugging in my seat belt

·
Registered
924 Posts
It is useful to have someone's opinion, even if there are more gripes than complements. Could act as useful pointers to someone considering the Captur, though of course, they may not come to the same conclusion as the OP.
Regards

·
Registered
335 Posts
Agreed, we all have different needs. I bought the car after looking at the magazines and video reviews. Visited a dealer with my wife my daughter her partner and 6 year old grandchild. I found the car was large enough for all of us with no problems at all relating to leg or head room. We have a dog but when he travels with us he travels in a proper harness on the back seat.
The car will mainly be used by me for commuting to work and back. At a weekend it will mainly be me and my wife and one of my grandchildren.
The car isn't perfect as you will see on a lot of the reviews knock the plastics used on the dash. Horses for courses springs to mind. For me the looks and what you get for the money and of course it fits all my needs this car was a no brainer.
Unlike you this is only my 5th Renault and because I've had positive experiences I always look at what they have to offer. I'm glad they came out with this model as it has saved me money as I was looking at the ford kuga. There are a lot of alternatives out there hope you find what your looking for.

·
Registered
174 Posts
joesoap said:
I went to test drive the Capture today, feeling extremely excited about the new model which would have been my 8th Renault purchase. Following extensive research and a lengthy wait to see a physical model as opposed to the information on the website I attended the appoitment for the test drive - money in the bank ready for immediate purchase.

I can only say that I came away from the showroom totally deflated with a nagging feeling that Renault have cut corners to an extent that belittles expectations of a leading manufacturer.

1. For a 'cross over vehicle' with a roomier interior the back seats are only accommodating and comfortable for two adults, restricted space was disappointing and unfeasible for a comfortable rear seat 3 adult drive, bump on the rear upright for the central passenger which makes for an uncomfortable ride, seat width at least one inch short either side of the available rear space(?), headrests uncomfortable. Nobody said it was a limo... Most people buying this car will rarely transport 3 adults in the rear....

2. Rear seat totally unstable when passengers are entering or leaving the vehicle with one side tilting up or moving with any entry or exit. Although I imagine all safety standards have been adhered to the unusual movement of the rear seat is disconcerting and I was mindful that in a high impact accident I would not have faith that the unstable rear seat would not be unhinged and cause additional trauma. Have sat in several and can't say I noticed this - maybe not quite latched into place when you sat in it?

3. Front driving and passenger seats - tiny!!! Ridiculously small even compared to my current Clio Dynamique. As a medium sized female I would hate to think how a larger male/female driver/passenger could have a comfortable ride especially on a long journey. 5'11" and 17 stone - plenty of room for me; maybe you're talking about people broader than I.....

4. Definately ergonomically challenging to try and latch the seat belt into the holder if you are a larger person especially if the model has the central arm rest. Even if the arm rest is raised out of the way elbow space is restricted and easy seat belt access is made difficult. One assumes that after owning the vehicle, you will learn where the fastener is and it generally becomes second nature, so limited room probably not an issue long term.

4. Dashboard and door furniture very plastic and cheap looking along with a central seat console that has a similar low budget aesthetic. Built to a budget - it's a supermini at the end of the day, not an S class, I personally liked the plastics, but each to his own I guess...

5. Unsuitable boot space for animals. We have a dog who travels regularly in the boot of the car. If the dog is stowed in the boot without the platform board the rear seat handle is a danger and the dog could easily be injured with movement or a sudden braking. If the platform board is used on the higher level there is a 1 -2inch gap at the back of the board that a dog could easily get its leg stuck down during transit causing a potential broken leg - definately a health and safety hazard for an animal. Also this problem with the boot platform board could become difficult if your boot is full of heavy or large items and a small item stowed in the boot fell behind the gap ...... resulting in the whole boot having to be unpacked to retrieve the small item. Get rid of the dog, they cost too much and you only have to exercise them.

6. Cheap and unsuitable latch on the central driver arm rest - car was less than one week old in the showroom and already the plastic catch was broken - definately a money saving oversight and does not hold a longevity factor for a family car and it leaves open the expectation that similar locking devices in the car could also snap and be rendered useless. I'm sure that the 3000 people getting in the car that didn't know how it latched didn't really help.... Bit harsh to slate the entire car over one catch that's been used more times by more cack handed people than it ever will with one owner....

7. For a family sized car the English version (right hand drive) gave very little space in the glove compartment due to European market electrics still being housed on the left hand side of the vehicle. Buy a left hand drive version if the glove box is that important to you...

8. Rear seat magazine holders - I found the design unsightly and unsuitable and would look untidy if several items were stored as all would be on show and smaller items would fall out due to it not being a pocket type. Clue is in the title - magazine holders - not designed for holding much else, am sure they will perform more than adequately for a magazine....

On the positive side I liked the new age dashboard furniture and especially the media tablet which is excellent and the removable/washable seat covers are superb. However as no other vehicle in the Renault range had all of the elements we required in one vehicle we have reluctantly gone elsewhere and will be purchasing a vehicle from another manufacturer. Probably best - sounds like the test drive has achieved its purpose - you decided it wasn't for you - I would suggest an E type estate would more than fit your purposes - oh wait - that would cost about £20K more and would cost a fortune to run - I suppose the moral is, you're not suited to a supermini car! Good luck in your car hunt though!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hahaha....enjoyed that...Dr55!!...There WAS something lacking on this website....a sense of humour!!!
Everyone's entitled to a point of view...even you!!!
I must say, that as with everyrhing else, you can see the positives and the negatives. I've bought the car, even though I'm not convinced that Renault reliability has improved... a bit of a risk I suppose...but in terns of a mini SUV it ticked boxes and looked good....
Give you a laugh...you should have heard what my son said...and he stays with me....
He is a motorhead, as I am, DESPITE THE FACT THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE and have never driven....
He owns an Audi S8 V12 5.2.....Yes!! .. quite different!!....and quite a different world and experience!!!......It was almost the sane cimment I nade when he bought his car....
I won't repeat it...but we are at different ends if the spectrum...the Petrol guzzler...and the frugal sipper...two cars..chalk and cheese..but both equally appealing for different reasons.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sorry Dr55...my fault...looked at the wrong person!
Cookster...you don't get away with that kind of behaviour...it's reprehensible!! LOL!! Still thought it was funny!! Love sarcasm!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
What I don't understand, is why a person who hates the car that much, takes its time to register in a forum dedicated to those who love the same car and point some comments about this. For example, I've tested before buying the Captur some other cars. For me the car that didn't impressed me was Peugeot competitor for. If you want to see what lack of space means, I advise to test one and see for yourself that Captur is huge (there was even a joke about space, would you like to hear it?).But for me, to register to a Peugeot fan club forum, was a complete waste of time.

Unless.... you love it and you are not sure if you want to buy it...

·
Registered
119 Posts
As a dog owner (Jack Russell) the comment about the dog getting injured makes me mad as ****.
Everyone knows that leaving your dog unattended in the boot space is dangerous for the dog anyway.
Like any other passenger the dog should be secured safely with a harness on a seat.

Frankly if you leave your dog untethered in a moving vehicle you're asking for trouble and are irresponsible.

I would NEVER leave Lilah without her harness in the car.

As for the rest? Perhaps the poster should go an but a BMW X3 as it's clearly more to their taste

·
Registered
921 Posts
Why indeed would you register on a web page a Renault Captur forum to go into such detail as to why you don't want to buy a Captur

I could understand and we are all entitled to our own views and opinions if you had actually purchased a Captur

The Captur in my opinion is a great car and suits my needs and my pocket

The Captur suits many people of all shapes and sizes

The Captur is a small crossover

The Captur May not be perfect but is beautifully formed

The Captur captured me and I am loving it

·
Registered
169 Posts
to be fair from my point of view the captur ticks a lot of boxes

economy is best i have ever had in any car
i think its great on the eye
very comfortable drive nice view of the road ahead
price very good against similar types of cars
great choice on colours
plenty room inside

only down side for me

not fantasic on hill climbs could do with a bit more power,

overall i am very pleased with the car its not perfect but then the good points far more than the negatives and the forum is bonus lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinions! HOWEVER they never got back to say what they bought.....mmmmm THAT would have been interesting!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm driving the TCE 90 and I havnt found a problem with hills

But perhaps my hills aren't as hilly

Lyn

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lets be honest you can find fault with any car you buy, we bought our Captur because it ticked all the boxes good mpg lots of gadgets I really wanted a Rolls Royce but when I checked the bank I only had 2/6d, but untill I get the other few thousand pounds I will slum it in the Captur, if it ever gets here
P.S you can see how ancient I am 2/6d not 12 1/2 p

·
Registered
921 Posts
ten shilling and three pence

Just checked it out on Google

LoL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nothing like a bit of drama.

joesoap said:
1. For a 'cross over vehicle' with a roomier interior the back seats are only accommodating and comfortable for two adults, restricted space was disappointing and unfeasible for a comfortable rear seat 3 adult drive, bump on the rear upright for the central passenger which makes for an uncomfortable ride, seat width at least one inch short either side of the available rear space(?), headrests uncomfortable.

How often do you drive around with 3 grown adults in the back of your car? Perhaps a superminicrossover is indeed notthe right car. My 3 year old daughter's feet don't touch the front seats.

2. Rear seat totally unstable when passengers are entering or leaving the vehicle with one side tilting up or moving with any entry or exit. Although I imagine all safety standards have been adhered to the unusual movement of the rear seat is disconcerting and I was mindful that in a high impact accident I would not have faith that the unstable rear seat would not be unhinged and cause additional trauma.

Havent found that at all, sorry. Perhaps as others have said, it might have just been the demo car that hundreds of people had been jumping in and out of.

3. Front driving and passenger seats - tiny!!! Ridiculously small even compared to my current Clio Dynamique. As a medium sized female I would hate to think how a larger male/female driver/passenger could have a comfortable ride especially on a long journey.

6 foot 2 man here, medium build, no problems at all. Find the seats quite comfortable. I drive around 100 miles a day.

4. Definately ergonomically challenging to try and latch the seat belt into the holder if you are a larger person especially if the model has the central arm rest. Even if the arm rest is raised out of the way elbow space is restricted and easy seat belt access is made difficult.

I didn't buy the armrest. I think that might have been a wise move. No problem with latch.

4. Dashboard and door furniture very plastic and cheap looking along with a central seat console that has a similar low budget aesthetic.

Here I don't disagree. I've never loved the gaping hole where the keycard doesn't need to go, or the very plastic feeling start button, but then I love the central console with the tablet so I just don't look down while I'm driving.

5. Unsuitable boot space for animals. We have a dog who travels regularly in the boot of the car. If the dog is stowed in the boot without the platform board the rear seat handle is a danger and the dog could easily be injured with movement or a sudden braking. If the platform board is used on the higher level there is a 1 -2inch gap at the back of the board that a dog could easily get its leg stuck down during transit causing a potential broken leg - definately a health and safety hazard for an animal. Also this problem with the boot platform board could become difficult if your boot is full of heavy or large items and a small item stowed in the boot fell behind the gap ...... resulting in the whole boot having to be unpacked to retrieve the small item.

Cant comment. My only pets are chickens and horses, and I haven't managed to persuade either to get in the boot.

6. Cheap and unsuitable latch on the central driver arm rest - car was less than one week old in the showroom and already the plastic catch was broken - definately a money saving oversight and does not hold a longevity factor for a family car and it leaves open the expectation that similar locking devices in the car could also snap and be rendered useless.

Again, no arm rest so cant comment. It's an optional extra though, right? So you can just opt not to have one and problem solved?

7. For a family sized car the English version (right hand drive) gave very little space in the glove compartment due to European market electrics still being housed on the left hand side of the vehicle.

Glove compartment seems normal in size. I suppose I could read the reviews and then complain it doesn't have the big pull out compartment thingie that the rest of Europe appears to have, but I've never sene one so I don't miss it.

8. Rear seat magazine holders - I found the design unsightly and unsuitable and would look untidy if several items were stored as all would be on show and smaller items would fall out due to it not being a pocket type.

Havent felt the urge to put anything in it. I like the design though, makes it look like the car seat has apattern on the back. Also the 3 year old daughter likes to pluck it like a harp and sing songs from Disney's Frozen.

On the positive side I liked the new age dashboard furniture and especially the media tablet which is excellent and the removable/washable seat covers are superb. However as no other vehicle in the Renault range had all of the elements we required in one vehicle we have reluctantly gone elsewhere and will be purchasing a vehicle from another manufacturer.

Don't buy a Vauxhall Mokka, every 2nd car these days seems to be one. I quite liked the look of the Chevrolet Traxx, but got capturd before I got to look at one.
Edited by: Neuro

1 - 20 of 33 Posts