Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I manged to obtain a witter towbar for the Renault Captur, my problem is i have managed to wire all the lights to the relay box but having trouble finding a 12v supply for the relay box to work. Does anyone know where a suitable 12v supply is,

The only alternative is to run a cable from boot to battery under bonnet. There must be an easier option,

Thanks, alex

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi there,

Your post is quite old, did you get it sorted? If not, if you go into the boot and remove the interior side panel on the LHS you will see the wiring loom going to the rear lights. About 30cm from he rear lights there should be a piece of grey tape (I think), over the black tape covering the loom. If you remove this there is a thick red wire. This is a 12v feed for your relay. I bought a towbar and dedicated wiring loom from PD Jones and fitted it; jobs a goodun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to run a wire to the battery and used a seperate fuse.. Would have saved a lot of work of i had known there was a feed in boot,,

This will help others fitting a towbar,,

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
120 Posts
Toadinapintglass said:
Hicould this also power a rear dash cam?

I guess so, it depends on the wiring diagram of the dash cam. If you are looking for a reverse camera there is a good guide by stro. I followed this to get a reverse camera on the medianav

·
Registered
5 Posts
A big shout out to Wavey Davey - well done mate, exactly as described, beneath a flash of grey tape & capped off.
I've just sourced a brand new Witter towbar, with a removable hitch off ebay for my 2015 - that had been sat on a shelf for years. I was recommended to use a Ryder 2218/7H universal control unit, which I sourced from raxautos.com along with a 2M 7 pin socket. I only wanted the towbar for a cycle carrier & the Thule carrier I got only has a pair of indicators & a pair of stop/tail lights, when fitted it does not obscure the rear fog light. Connection wise I left out some of the connections.
Finding a 12 volt feed for the unit was the head ache. I easily identified the larger gauge red wire from the loom as a likely candidate but it was dead. A quick look in the manual & an even longer head-scratch on deciphering the image in the handbook showed that fuse number 36 (15 amp) is the one for a towbar, fuse not currently fitted. Not the easiest one to get at being at the bottom right corner of the fuseboard. Fitting wise I only removed both rear light clusters to identify the wiring, the trim across the bottom edge of the boot, the vent on the O/S, the complete N/S panel to reveal the wiring loom. I mounted the module, using cable-ties & sticky fixings, in the space over the N/S strut nut, this is accessible from the vent should the module or it's fuses ever let me down. I ran the wiring to get to the O/S indicator down to & through the rear panel & up into the O/S wheel arch. For the towbar, there are videos out there of folk removing whole bumpers, wheel arch trims & wheel arch liners. Not needed, in addition to removing the rear silencer heat shield & letting that drop, just remove the torx screws along the bottom edge of the bumper & there is enough flex in it to guide it through to the side arms & likewise enough flex to then feed the bolts through the chassis rails. Keep everything loose to start with & tighten up bit by bit, in fact I ony had to jack up the car in order to get utilise the length of my torque wrench. I fed the cable from the socket into the N/S body of the car by piercing the grommet that takes the wiring loom to the bumper area for the reverse lights, reverse sensors & rear fog light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts