Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how the TPMS works ? Just curious, but is the sensor in the valve itself, and how does it communicate with the car? Is it wireless? If you change the tyre, do they need to use the same valve? Sorry to sound thick, but I like to know how things work?

·
Registered
260 Posts
There's a module in the inflation valve/wheel, with a temperature monitor, a pressure monitor and a radio transmitter that sends the signal to the monitor in the car. Any abnormalities, sudden reduced/uneven pressure etc flags up. The modules usually attached to the valve and can be removed if you change tires, sometimes its a box on the inside of the wheel, not sure where the capturs is. Then if you ever change a tire you just re calibrate the system..
Usually by parking on a flat surface and holding a button of some sort. Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
CJ86...didn't know that...I have bought another set of 16 alloys with winter tyres and didn't know about the system...Didn't know what TPMS stood for!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cj86 said:
There's a module in the inflation valve/wheel, with a temperature monitor, a pressure monitor and a radio transmitter ....SNIP.
Is this what is called a "Direct TPMS"?

Edited by: milletusenpussar

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ythsie,Have you had a technical analysis done on your car to see if the TPMS is there? Your car is of the same vintage as mine, and mine (although unlike yours, mine is a UK model) did not come with TPMS, despite what the brochure implied.

·
Registered
21 Posts
crossbow said:
Ythsie,Have you had a technical analysis done on your car to see if the TPMS is there? Your car is of the same vintage as mine, and mine (although unlike yours, mine is a UK model) did not come with TPMS, despite what the brochure implied.
Actually, the dealer didn't really want to talk about the TPMS, I suspect because he knew nothing about it. He was wrong about several things he should have understood, being an official representative for the model and a professional salesman. I have asked for technical specifications regarding our car, but the dealer never gives me any. This is somewhat remarkable, because the dealer is The official Volvo and Renault dealer in Sweden.

After having read your answer and subsequently browsed the forum, I am rather sure the car did not come with TPMS. Good riddance; one feature less to fail. But the dashboard of course still nags about it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Crossbow I don't believe the car was fitted with the system...I have changed tyres for two winters and have had no readouts or warning lights come on.
I suspect it was not fitted...but, like you, I would not use it and feel it is one thing less to worry about!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would a easy check be to look at tyre valves and see if TPMS is fitted. My dig 1.5 dci has like a collar below the valve cap, whereas standard valves I'm sure would be a straight taper.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes!

New EU legislation required all new car models sold in the EU to have a TPMS system installed from November 2012, and every new car from 2014. New vehicles fitted with TPMS and first registered from 1st January 2012 onwards will have their TPMS system tested as part of the first MOT test from 2015.

Mel

·
Registered
818 Posts
Still not sure if mine are working!! Followed handbook instructions but 'learning tyre pressure' message is still coming on.
Mel

·
Registered
121 Posts
my Captur from 2013 and it hasn't got TPMS if that's the case Mel its a point it could fail on at the M.O.T

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
trucker11 said:
my Captur from 2013 and it hasn't got TPMS if that's the case Mel its a point it could fail on at the M.O.T
Mine's from July 2014 and does not have TPMS

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have been looking into this and I read it as:

1. <LI>If a car had TPMS fitted before 2012an "advisory"will be recorded on the test if a fault is detected in the system or the TPMS light on the dash is illuminated.</LI>
    <LI>If TPMS was fitted after 2012; it still wasn't a legal requirement to have it then, and a fault is detected or the TPMS light on the dash is illuminated then it is a fail.</LI>
    <LI>As of November 2014 TPMS was a legal requirement on all new cars, any faults detected or the TPMS light on the dash is illuminated then it is a fail.</LI>

So everyone with cars registered between 2012 and end of October 2014 don't have to have it fitted, it is only if you do have it fitted that it can causean issue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
So what does it look like from outside the tyre? Can we see anything? How does one know if one as it?
Because a car ordered in September could have been built beforehand.... and delivered much later in the year! How does one know when car was actually built?
Mel

·
Registered
405 Posts
Google. Renualt VINCODE reader

1 - 20 of 23 Posts