Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I was mid reversing out of my drive earlier and the Captur (2013) cut out, a warning message about 'traction control' came up...got the family to help push back onto the drive -it looks like the traction control may be related to the battery according to other posts here. How can I check, I haven't a clue how to charge a car battery. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You will need a battery charger capable of charging a efb/agm battery. When you connect it the red wire to the red terminal and the black wire on the charger to a good earthing point, dont put the black wire on the black teminal it could affect the system ebay sells the chargers from £20 upwards

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
If you don't have any breakdown cover, can't you ring round and see if you can find a local garage who will come out to change the battery? It's fairly simple but you do have to know what you are doing (and maybe have a code to get the radio/infotainment working again afterwards. Charging it up should show if the traction control message is related to low battery condition - when my battery was dying I had a whole load of error messages come up including this one.
Good luck and let us know how you get on, please

Reactions: Smallrat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't have any breakdown cover, can't you ring round and see if you can find a local garage who will come out to change the battery? It's fairly simple but you do have to know what you are doing (and maybe have a code to get the radio/infotainment working again afterwards. Charging it up should show if the traction control message is related to low battery condition - when my battery was dying I had a whole load of error messages come up including this one.
Thanks-My Breakdown cover doesn't cover at home (think I'll reconsider next time;)). I decided to book Halfords to replace the battery ( before I read your post to ring around to see if any would check charge :oops:)...I had checked various sites, their price seemed competitive, and everything on here indicated it was the battery....I had thought Halfords website said they would check it is a battery issue first but the guy was like ' nope, we have nothing in the van to check, it's at your discretion...' eek...but he showed me that the green light on the new battery was showing as black on the one in the car. And I'd gone through all paperwork for the car and couldn't find anything to indicate the battery had ever been replaced.
Long story but good outcome, it was the battery... car started, messages gone, even stop/ start seems to be working for a change :D:D:D.
So thanks again to the info on this site, managed to resolve issue.
Annoying there was no warning about the battery... just suddenly cutting out like that..

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Glad you got your issue resolved. Batteries have been like this for a number of years now - you think all is well as there are no signs of any falling charge levels, then all of a sudden one day, you get into the car, try to start it and the battery is totally dead.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks-My Breakdown cover doesn't cover at home (think I'll reconsider next time;)). I decided to book Halfords to replace the battery ( before I read your post to ring around to see if any would check charge :oops:)...I had checked various sites, their price seemed competitive, and everything on here indicated it was the battery....I had thought Halfords website said they would check it is a battery issue first but the guy was like ' nope, we have nothing in the van to check, it's at your discretion...' eek...but he showed me that the green light on the new battery was showing as black on the one in the car. And I'd gone through all paperwork for the car and couldn't find anything to indicate the battery had ever been replaced.
Long story but good outcome, it was the battery... car started, messages gone, even stop/ start seems to be working for a change :D:D:D.
So thanks again to the info on this site, managed to resolve issue.
Annoying there was no warning about the battery... just suddenly cutting out like that..
2013 battery? That's a good life nowadays. I'm still surprised the car actually started before cutting out. You would think, wouldn't you, that with all the technology on today's cars, there could be some sort of reminder that the battery needs replacing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the posts on this thread. My captur had been working fine and one day wouldn’t start and displayed the Traction error, breaking error and five other warning messages. Based on this thread I got a new battery fitted and all ok 😀

1 - 8 of 8 Posts