Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my captur is dying , does anyone know what the illuminated sign 'turn steering wheel and press start' means, on the dashboard ,, but it wont start. thank you

·
Registered
360 Posts
What it says

The steering lock is engaged, waggle the wheel and press start it should start. You need to release the pressure on the deadbolt locking the wheel. It happens sometimes if you move the wheel after stopping car.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In that case you must have a sensor fault.

If not 4yr old give renault assist (RAC) a call.

I had this on my 1st week of ownership and called them out. Did I have a red face when he told me what it was.

Try again and give the wheel a real pull in either direction . It's like on the key start system when you cannot turn the key because the lock is engaged. Keep the pressure on when pushing start button.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
literally just over 4 years old,, joined rac today.. just started car and it starts now,, the car is obviously confused, so must be an intermittent problem , thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too am having this problem today. It's never happened to me before and it was fine this morning. My car dealer basically said any Captur having this issue usually needs breakdown to fix. Anyone else had any luck? I had to leave it at uni.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I stand by my previous post. Had the car over 2 years now and had the message "Turn Wheel" twice more and after doing just that that the car has started ok. Sometimes if I am in a tight parking space I use the wheel as an aid to getting ln/out and that is enough to move it enough to engage the deadlock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I stand by my previous post. Had the car over 2 years now and had the message "Turn Wheel" twice more and after doing just that that the car has started ok. Sometimes if I am in a tight parking space I use the wheel as an aid to getting ln/out and that is enough to move it enough to engage the deadlock.
I tried that on Friday for over half an hour with the help of colleagues but it didn't work. It actually then displayed something about the System which it hadn't mentioned prior applying pressure to the wheel.. I'm going back today, so i'll update if it doesn't work. RAC are on standby if we cant get it up and running. Does this happen frequently?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have had a locked steering wheel, I had left the car with the wheel turned fully to the right.

I had to phone Renault assist,who told me to turn it a little more to the right and press the start
button.

The steering wheel felt very stiff I was "unsure" if to slightly force it further as instructed.
The wheel did turn about 1 30th of a turn more but it was extremely hard to do,it then unlocked after
pressing the start button.

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
I've had this once on the Captur and once on my Ford.... it's just like when you have a traditional steering lock and you happen to move the wheel after parking, such that it applies a great amount of force to the lock mechanism. The electric mechanism just cannot apply enough force to overcome the locked position, so you need to waggle the steering wheel by hand, same way as you would have to do with a normal steering lock is the same situation had arisen.

Force of habit I suppose, but I generally waggle the wheel when parking the car to make sure that the lock has indeed engaged to prevent any movement of the wheel. I believe that this makes it more difficult for a thief to overcome the lock, my late father believed the same and he and the Police believe that this is whats stopped one of his old company cars being stolen and driven away some years back; thieves broke the driver's door lock and the ignition switch but couldn't release the steering lock, so even though they got the car started they could not extract it from its parking bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My colleagues tried to jump start it at lunch today as the wheel has unlocked now, but it still won't allow me to start even when pressure is applied detailed above.

The jumpstart failed by two separate cars - so RAC came out ( took 3 hours) and he said it's the battery. Battery was changed and it's been fine ever since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts