Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a dig around on this forum, hoping to be enlightened, but all I found was a 2017 thread which didn't really provide any solid answers, so I thought I'd try reviving the topic.

About two weeks ago, when I leaned into my car and inserted the keycard, two very piercing electronic bleeps resounded for no apparent reason. Completely baffled, I told myself they must've come from an adjacent car in the car park because there was no suggestion of any kind of problem in my own car and no warning lights were displayed. I hoped never to hear those two bleeps ever again.

But now I've just come home, parked my car, taken out the keycard and then put it back in the slot momentarily, only to have those two piercing bleeps inflict themselves again. As before, there were no warning lights displayed.

I've owned the car (a 2016 Captur Dynamique S Nav Energy dCi S/S 90) for exactly a year and as far as I'm aware it's in sound condition. It's very low mileage too. On the 2017 thread, someone mentioned having heard the two bleeps whilst braking and a forum-user suggested that it meant (under those circumstances) that the brake fluid was low - which at least makes sense. But why in tarnation would it be bleeping at me for no apparent reason, as if to say "Whatever you do, don't even think of driving this car?"

I'm not scared as such, but I'm unsettled, because presumably these things don't happen for no reason.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Long bleeps or short bleeps? If there are no obvious signs of the reason (no warning lights or messages) then the next step after an internet search would most likely be to have the fault codes read via the OBD port. However I have a suspicion that nothing will be found. Not sure if Renault customer services may be able to advise, presuming that you have also first contacted your nearest dealership

·
Registered
254 Posts
Try this. Open and close all electric windows fully. Then lock and unlock all doors from inside using the switch on the dash. Do the same a couple of times with the driver's door switch for the rear doors/windows. See if that helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My Captur does this occasionally,two loud,screeching bleeps. Like a Magpie being throttled,is how I described it in a previous post. No warning lights,everything works,so I just ignore it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IvorE, they're two longish bleeps and they're very high-pitched and squeaky, not like the bleeps you get when the car's telling you you've not shut a door properly or that you're driving with the handbrake not fully released. I contacted Renault via the Renault.co.uk website yesterday but haven't had a response yet. I'm hoping to avoid having to take the car to a dealership and get it plugged in, because I bet they'd charge me even if no explanation were found.

twodogs, thanks for the tip and I'll give the routine you've suggested a go, because I'm happy to try almost anything. (For the record, the car did the two bleeps thing again this morning, dammit.) As for the car having an alarm, no, it doesn't have one unfortunately. But at least that means it doesn't go off for no reason, like the alarm on the Vauxhall Mokka I had on rental earlier this year. Maan, was that a pain in the backside.

Baldy, if there's no cure for the problem, I guess I'll just have to start thinking of the throttled magpie noise as being my car saying hello to me, because it loves me so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm. I suppose that's a possibility, but in this case perhaps unlikely in that the car spends most of its time under cover and has hardly felt a drop of drizzle in the last fortnight. But then again, you never know. It could be that. I certainly don't fancy my parking sensors going on the blink.

I've now heard from Renault UK and all they say is to take it to a dealership and get it diagnosed. Any idea how much a diagnosis at a Renault dealership is likely to cost? Not to mention a non-diagnosis?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Another Magpie was throttled on Sunday on inserting the keycard after visiting Bicester World of Water. Still no warning lights and car started and ran fine. Wierd but ignorable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try this. Open and close all electric windows fully. Then lock and unlock all doors from inside using the switch on the dash. Do the same a couple of times with the driver's door switch for the rear doors/windows. See if that helps.
twodogs (or twadogs if you're Robert Burns), I duly followed your advice a few weeks ago - and can reveal that since then, I've not had any return visits from the piercing bleeps. I've waited until now to announce the fact, just in case my initial jubilation proved misplaced - but it genuinely does seem that the mysterious spell which you recommended does indeed have the power to thwart the insufferable bleep-monster, at least on my car, at least for the time being. Sincere thanks for your help.

Baldybloke, I'm saddened to hear that the throttled magpie is still pecking at your earholes. Presumably you've long since tried twodogs' advice and it made no difference whatever, which is regrettable. I'm tempted never to visit Bicester World of Water for fear that one of those magpies'll follow me home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts