Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in November our first attempt at updating Media Nav maps resulted in system lock up & two trips to the dealer to get things back to working order before the media nav system ; which would not switch off; drained the battery completely.
As free update only lasts 3 months I've had another go today. Followed all instructions to the letter: put stick in, & pressed Update. Light on stick is alight. BUT: it is not flickering which is usually the sign that data is being transferred. AND: there is no indication on the screen that anything is happening. So, assuming that nothing is happening I removed stick & went back to home menu. No sound on radio & system won't switch off just like last time.

This is getting beyond a joke as the only media nav expert at my local dealer is sick. Have tried calling another dealer & am waiting a call back.

Whilst I wait I'm having another go. Have inserted stick again & pressed update to create the fingerprint. JUST HOW LONG SHOULD I LEAVE IT TO CREATE THE FINGERPRINT??
ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had a call back from the other dealer. Service manager very helpful & friendly & advised that these downloads to create the fingerprint can take some hours so I shall leave it for a while to see what happens. Got the impression that queries re media nav are swamping dealer resources.

Part of problem lies in the instruction manual. Why can't it tell you that the download could take this long? Also why doesn't the media nav screen indicate download progress like any normal device such as a PC?

Will leave it 2 to 3 hours & see what happens.

Technology is fine but it must be user friendly. I'm pretty PC literate so heaven help those who aren't.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I decided to update my Medianav yesterday having so far shied away from buggering it up!!

I got as far as creating the fingerprint which took less than a minute!! The problem I had was that the download centre would not let me log in which I have reported to Renault,the centre did recognise the fingerprint though........so I am part way there!

See how it goes!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I might wait a week or 2 before I try this. The missus will batter me up and down the street if I mess up her Radio !!

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
First you need to download and update the pc program. After that our update took about 10 or 15 mins with of course trips from car to pc and back! Contact Renault uk by phone for advice if you get no joy from your deale.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I dont claim to be anything like an expert here, probably just good luck. But I have done the initial free up date and the latest one aswell and all I did was follow the instructions in the manual. I would agree that the manual could be more user friendly. I have found taking my laptop out to the car helps, so as I can follow the toolbox instructions as I am updating.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it refused to load the fingerprint yesterday & locked up again: Couldn't switch off so draining the battery & radio & media didn't work.

Called dealer yesterday afternoon. They were sympathetic & friendly & fitted us for this morning. Have to say I've always had good experiences when dealing with them on other issues

So this morning we took the Captur in for attention. Got car back at 3pm. System working fine & they had done the free update for me & also washed & valeted. I call that good service from Motorline Maidstone.

It's booked in later this month for the bonnet re-paint & whilst they are at it they will look at accelerator lag & belt twitter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try this, plug usb in pc, open up delete anything on there, then take to car media nav reinsert it should put the footprint on usb within a minute.Then back to pc open Renault toolbox insert usb it should recognise usb and allow you to log in and update media nav. Back to car and insert usb and update .Hope this helps

Its important to delete any information on usb, on your PC first

Edited by: jonjohn

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
jonjohn said:
Try this, plug usb in pc, open up delete anything on there, then take to car media nav reinsert it should put the footprint on usb within a minute.Then back to pc open Renault toolbox insert usb it should recognise usb and allow you to log in and update media nav. Back to car and insert usb  and update .Hope this helps
Sounds right JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Followed instructions for update to the letter using a new unused USB, it failed reporting "data not valid", also installed upgrade file as advised on Media Nav website with same result, tried a further 5 times to no avail then on the sixth attempt EurekaMust have been lucky
Poor show all round it is just what you want to do, waste an afternoon on a new piece of equipment
They should get it right first timeinstead ofusing consumers as guinea pigs to solve their softwareissues

1 - 12 of 12 Posts