Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brain's beginning to smoulder here, so it makes sense to me to scream for help.

I have a 2016 Captur dCi 1.5, which went for its MOT last week. Everything was fine mechanically, but the inspector spotted a dirty great nail stuck in my offside rear tyre, so I'm looking at replacing both tyres before I need to call a tow truck out.

But here's the thing: having bought the car secondhand, I now find that while the rear tyres are Continental EcoContact5 tyres (205/55 R17 95 V Extra Load), the front tyres are 205/55 ZR17 95 W Extra Load tyres - one of them a Windforce, the other an Orium, both of them cheap and cheerful.

I'm reet confused about what I should be buying as replacements.

Firstly, should I be fitting R17 95 V tyres all round or are there meant to be ZR17s at the front, with a W rating, and R17s at the rear with a V rating? I can't seem to find anything in the manual about which tyres to fit, yet it's obvious that insurance-wise I'm expected to get it right.

Secondly, Continental EcoContact5 & 6 tyres have a very bad rap for aquaplaning, so it seems to be advisable to choose something infinitely more grippy. But I'm struggling to make sense of (for instance) Tyre Shopper's list of 205/55 R17 95 V tyres (205 55 R17 Tyres | Cheap 205 55 R17 Tyres, FREE Fitting | Tyre Shopper), which all look uncomfortably low-profile compared to the tyres currently fitted to my car, which have more of a conventional tall-sidewall look to them - a look which I like.

Could someone possibly advise me on what the heck I should be buying, before my rear tyre goes flat? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
V, Z etc are the speed rating for the tyres, no need to put on tyres suitable for up to 150mph when the Captur will struggle to get to 110mph!
Have a look here:

So long as the speed rating is equal to, or exceeds the original spec, there should be no insurance issues at all.
My 2014 1.5dCi runs on 205/55R17 95V, original specification. Should be same for your car.

Recommending brands etc is subjective, some have had good experiences with one brand over another. Depending on how hard you drive the car and how fast you like to corner etc, or do you like longer life but don't mind poor roadholding?
What I can tell you is that mine came on Michelins when new, when they wore I repalced the front with Michelins but I was not impressed by their life, wore out too quickly IMHO. A couple of years ago when all 4 needed changing I went for Michelin Crossclimates, a bit expensive but at the time they seemed to some out at the top, or close to the top, of tyre tests on line and in magazines. They seem to be lasting better than the "Ordinary" Michelins too. I can't say I notice any handling differences in the summer but then the Captur is no sports car. What I would say is that, having diven a car with "cheapo ditch-finder" tyres on it, it is definitely worth paying more to get a reputable brand; the 4 small contact patches are all that connects the car to the road and IMHO cheap tyres are a false economy if you value your life

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had the 1.5 dci with Michelin tyres from new after 15000 they needed changing

I will never go for Michelin tyres again

Yes the choice is very subjective, I changed all 4 over to uniroyal rainsport 3.

I was very happy with them

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after a lot of head-scratching, I've figured that the most promising tyres out there are Goodyear's EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyres, which seem to score high on all counts and have attracted rave reviews from folk who've bought 'em. They seem to be good for at least 25,000 miles, are disinclined to aquaplane, are designed to resist pothole blowouts, are very grippy in wet and dry, etc., etc., etc.

But I need to ask your advice again, because I can't help noticing that although the Goodyears are the same as the Continentals already fitted to my car (205/55 R17 95 V XL), they don't look quite as tall. That's to say, they don't look as high-sided as the Continentals. They're not low profiles, but just at a glance you can see that they're definitely not as high-sided as the tyres they're replacing.

If I'm only replacing the rear tyres with the Goodyears, am I making a mistake by choosing slightly lower profile tyres?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2020 E:TECH Hybrid
172 Posts
It's just the photo.......A 205/55 is a 205/55 regardless of who makes it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts