Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve hadn’t captur for 3 months and done 400 miles. The auto on/off is often disabled due to battery. With lockdown I’ve done little driving.

yesterdayi got a amber warning saying electrical fault, the engine cut off then restarted. It did this twice but each time it ran its normal checks that happen when I start the car then said it was ok. Then later that day it flashed up red engine failure and stopped but started back up fine. The messages all disappeared.

phoned the garage this morning who suggested I try it today and it was ok so they think battery but can’t get me in for a week. I need the car. Is it realistic that the battery is just not getting opportunity to charge due to short journeys?
I’ve a long drive tomorrow and a bit concerned

·
Registered
700 Posts
Absolutely. The battery won't say charged if the car is not used. The long drive tomorrow should help.

Ideally if you don't plan to use it, it would be good to buy a charger... assuming of course the obvious that you park near your house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. Yes only had it about 3 months but with restrictions the most it’s done is trips about 10 miles twice a week at most with 2 80 mile trips in amongst this. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

·
Super Moderator
2,968 Posts
Unfortunately "smart charging" systems are rubbish since they assume that the car will get regular use. With lockdown many people only use the car infrequently, so you want the battery to be charged to full at the earliest opportunity. This is against the logic of "smart charging". if only there was a button to disable smart charging and ensure that the battery was always charged fully as soon as possible. I have a similar issue with both my cars, the auto start-stop has been greyed out for many months, although at least I have started the Kuga a couple of times after 5 weeks (or more) of non-use and it has sprung into life the instant I hit the "start" button

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update as promised. Drive down fine, 5 mins through an urban area, 20 mins on a 60 road, 25 mins down the motorway then 15 mins through a town. I had everything off (ie radio, temperature control and sat nav) it ran fine.
Was parked for 3 hrs then came home 10 mins in it cut out with same warnings twice but restarted fine. Ok the rest of the way. Seems to be when I drop to a low gear at junctions and roundabouts. Will wait and see what they say on Tuesday. Disappointed as I was warned against buying Renault but had dusters since they came out which is a Renault engine and no problems. This car was a treat to myself after a difficult year and loved it but now lost confidence in it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did the warning light actually say. Is it cutting out only when idling?
It flashes up Electrical Fault or words similar and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. I’m still moving forward at that point albeit slowly then the engine cuts out then it restarts. The first time I thought I’d just stalled but the other times I know that I didn’t.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Electrical fault is better than engine failure. The garage should be able to tell you if there are any fault codes logged. If not, the fact that the car restarts suggests to me the battery voltage is causing this. Not good I know but there is no reason your captur should be any different from your duster

·
Super Moderator
2,968 Posts
Sounds like a definite fault, it is now a question of whether or not it has been logged in the computer's memory, plus the experience and "skill" of the technician who gets the job of investigating it.

Fingers crossed that it can be found and corrected quickly and in one visit

Reactions: Alison

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So update on this. Took it to the garage who found nothing and asked me what gear I was in and what speed and suggested it was my driving and not being used to the car.

less than impressed but made a conscious effort to keep an eye on this although have to admit I get anxious coming to roundabouts.

No problems for a few weeks then yesterday had a long run and it did it again at a roundabout then today as I was slowing at a roundabout it all flashed up again but the engine kept going. I wasn’t changing gear and was with someone who said I definitely didn’t stall. So I guess it’s back to the garage again.

·
Super Moderator
2,968 Posts
This is disappointing but may still be related to the battery and/or charging system. I don't think that smart charging systems were designed with any thought of a pandemic; for over a year the start-stop systems on both my Fords have not functioned, presumably due to low battery voltage and even after an hour of running the situation is the same. If you have access to a battery charger designed for the type of battery fitted to your Captur, I'd be interested to know what happens if you fully charge it; do you know if the Renault garage fully charged your battery when they investigated previously, then could find nothing wrong?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve hadn’t captur for 3 months and done 400 miles. The auto on/off is often disabled due to battery. With lockdown I’ve done little driving.

yesterdayi got a amber warning saying electrical fault, the engine cut off then restarted. It did this twice but each time it ran its normal checks that happen when I start the car then said it was ok. Then later that day it flashed up red engine failure and stopped but started back up fine. The messages all disappeared.

phoned the garage this morning who suggested I try it today and it was ok so they think battery but can’t get me in for a week. I need the car. Is it realistic that the battery is just not getting opportunity to charge due to short journeys?
I’ve a long drive tomorrow and a bit concerned
im having exactly the same issues as you. Garage can’t take me for almost three weeks. This is my second captur and had absolutely no issues with previous cars. A friend told me it’s likely because they’re using gel batteries which aren’t as good. I’m getting really hacked off with this as I don’t car every day but when I do use it, it needs to be reliable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s only a couple of months old. I don’t use it a lot but had a previous Captur that had the same use and never had any issues at all with it. In fact didn’t drive it at all for almost 9 months when COVID kicked it and still no issues. Had a theee hour drive a couple of weeks ago and stop start function didn’t work. In to garage two days later and they say it’s working. That’s not such a big deal for me but this red warning light issue scares me.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's difficult to say without a full investigation. Your friend has a point in so far as EFB and AGM (stop/start) batteries are more sensitive to over and under-charging, and this makes me think that the battery is not fully charged. Whether by lack of use or other fault I cannot say. If you can get access to a smart battery charger and charge the battery fully for 24 hours this might help. The garage will need to sort it out but if you have already ruled out battery charge state before your visit, that should give them something to work with. Take some photos with your mobile next time it happens.

·
Registered
2021, Captur Launch, PHEV
39 Posts
Whatever is wrong, you should contact Renault Customer Relations. Ask them to tell the garage to give you a decent courtesy car while this is sorted. Also try a different Renault garage . I have had the experience where I took my car to a particular garage three times only to be told there was nothing wrong and what I was experiencing was 'normal'. I took it to another garage where there was a decent technician who spotted the fault immediately. I've even got money from Renault when my satnav was faulty and couldn’t use it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts